Best performance of the year ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Was Saturday our best effort ? Thoughts ?

I am leaning towards it being yes, outside of the bombed tries which did turn out to be crucial

Was frustrating after the match to see us win every stat other than the one that counted, on the scoreboard

Personally, I thought we held the ball better than in the 2 wins, used it better than in those 2 games, and the defence was probably a bit better as well, with plenty being thrown at it, 2 bits of Thurston magic that we couldn't do a lot about accounted for most of the losing margin

All in all, I thought it was the highest quality game we have been involved in this season, and I also thought after watching a few other games in the round, we would have beaten plenty of sides with that performance.

Other points from the match

Tallis needs to be put down, 1 of the worst, most one sided efforts I have heard. My personal favourite was the one where Thurston knocked on, and the camera from behind the play showed the replay, with the idiot saying "That angle clearly shows it went backwards". Muppet

The 2 guys I expected to be our biggest weapons with Stewart out were both down a bit on recent form, Lyon and Watmough

Robertson was solid at fullback without being spectacular

Matai, Cuthbertson, Rodney, Hall and G. Stewart were our standout performers. I also thought Orford played reasonably well, although I still see him getting hammered on here, which is nothing unusual. He took the line on well, kicking game found space most of the game, and created opportunities which other didn't finish off.

Probably the highlight of the whole match though, was the hit. Harris will still be feeling that one, was a Matai special, Hope he has more saved for Slater and sMyth this weekend

We had moments where we played better than we have in other games, but there were moments where we just gave up you could see it in the body language and that is the first time I have seen that from this Manly team.

Dan link said:
We had moments where we played better than we have in other games, but there were moments where we just gave up you could see it in the body language and that is the first time I have seen that from this Manly team.

I never really picked up on the giving up part while watching the game, maybe I was just concentrating on the blokes trying their arse off.

Kiwi, your hero certainly was our best go forward guy on park, except for the dropped ball, coming out of the defensive line and not passing when he should have for a try, he played well for the time I watched.  Can't really say much about the others though.  Robbo? OK would be my assessment.  Bani? terrified.  Williams? tentative.  We could have, and should have, but didn't just sums up the season so far.  far to many players doing the same crap week after week and they lack confidence in one another.  Just how long will you give Hasler before reaching for the knife Kiwi?  Canteen, who's responsible for the mishmash with the fifth tackle options?  In my team the halfback should never get tackled with the ball, full stop.  Dan, pray tell me who was busting their arses off?  Apart from Hall, which forward ran forward with any grunt?  Granted Cuthbo went OK.  Disappointing from a team that swept all before it last season.

Cant say it was our best game. Our first half against the Bunnies was easily our best and most clinical display so far. We switched off in that game but the first half was almost flawless.

Will assume my hero is Matai haha. Interesting how you saw so much of the game before turning off pretty early :p

I see no reason to be reaching for the knife for Hasler at all DSM, same as last year when people were stabbing away at him. I feel we are improving, and where we are losing the game's can't be attributed to Hasler. Hasler wouldn't be telling Lyon to not pass the ball etc

Halfback never get tackled ? Thurston certainly gets tackled a lot, as did Langer and co, because they took the line on, which in my book is a good thing

If you want a list of blokes I thought you could visibly see having a go, Robertson, Matai, Bailey, Orford, Kite, Hall, Cuthbertson, Watmough, G Stewart, Rodney. Doesn't mean they played with the most skill, but they certainly showed enthusiasm in my book

great post KE

The biggest improvement i noticed was the kicking game not only ok but ballin and bailey as well.

I thought orford was really good was just let down by his runners.

I really like bailey and i think he could add alot to the team but some of his passes were Monas/Mullane 2004 type passes and really wrecked our attack on that play.

KE you wouldnt say a bad thing about any of the players, team or coach if they were sleeping with your mrs

Dan link said:
KE you wouldnt say a bad thing about any of the players, team or coach if they were sleeping with your mrs

Is that why I got banned from the old MSE mate ? :p

Reading back I see how it may look like I was having a shot at you with your post, I wasn't. Was just meaning that I always seem to notice the blokes putting in more than the ones who don't, probably why guys like Matai, Watmough and Hall are amongst my favourites, you can always see visable effort coming through from them.

Who were the blokes you thought threw it in ? Perry was 1 I notcied visably a gear down

It was an entire team thing, not long before the cowboys went in for their second last try watch the shift in their body language. They are still trying, but you can see in the way they are going about things, they knew they were beat and werent going to win it.

Its the first time I have ever noticed it but it's clear as day

I was at the game Saturday night!!

I thought the forwards did ok, not too many "tackle busts' from Chocco but all others (barring Jason King) had a pretty fair night.

The issue seesm to be in "confidence".

Last year Lyon would have thrown a pass knowing that Wolfie or Brett would have been there, the big forwards would have thrown an inside ball to Chocco coming through, Matai would have passed the ball to Robbo and he would have scored.

This year it's different.

No one has the confidence that the next person will do their job!!

No one has confidence that there's be someone there to take that inside pass!!

So they either hang on to it or try some dumb ass play after realising they are in the crapper.

It's like they are all at sea!!

I think they just need a win or two (with BS) and it will start to click into gear, in the meantime we need to be patient!!

I thought our effort was solid but not spectacular and I did see a lot of them trying very hard. And I agree with the confidence comments as we wouldn't have stuffed up some of those chances previously. Against the bunnies we gave them them nothing - that was the steamrolling forward pack of the premiers and my best performance of the year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4