Best loss I have seen in all my years.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Totally agree we were the better side for the majority of the game hopefully we can lift again for the Warriors game as well.

With that much ball we should have won.
What I hope is that the unfair schedule/draw we have will, in the long run, benefit us by steeling our resolve. The Donkeys, on the other hand, won't be able to cope when they reach the semis in a canter then have to play on a day other than Friday.
Surely every non-Brisbane RL supporter is sick to death of having our Friday night football enjoyment ruined by the Donkeys.

It was a great loss if we can say that . Great effort and proud to follow manly . It shows our grit that we can come back like that with the injuries and so on . Add dce with his kicking in general play and we win pure and simple . ( gus said the same last nite) and thats taking nothing away from api he had a blinder , i said in an earlier post that everything that poor buggar has been through i hope he comes out and has a blinder and he did . Congratulations son. Now who can remember the loss we had against the red hot raiders in a semi in 91. That was again one of the most courageous efforts i have witnessed. We had ridge , roberts, O'Connor and i think hasler and Cunningham out and cliffy lyons and kevin iro put on one of the greatest expeditions of football i have ever seen . It went down to the wire with a full strength raiders limping home near the end . Gus even now said it was a remarkable loss to a raiders side stacked with internationals. For anyone that didnt see the game google it. Awesome.

It was a great loss if we can say that . Great effort and proud to follow manly . It shows our grit that we can come back like that with the injuries and so on . Add dce with his kicking in general play and we win pure and simple . ( gus said the same last nite) and thats taking nothing away from api he had a blinder , i said in an earlier post that everything that poor buggar has been through i hope he comes out and has a blinder and he did . Congratulations son. Now who can remember the loss we had against the red hot raiders in a semi in 91. That was again one of the most courageous efforts i have witnessed. We had ridge , roberts, O'Connor and i think hasler and Cunningham out and cliffy lyons and kevin iro put on one of the greatest expeditions of football i have ever seen . It went down to the wire with a full strength raiders limping home near the end . Gus even now said it was a remarkable loss to a raiders side stacked with internationals. For anyone that didnt see the game google it. Awesome.

That was like a forty two - twenty something score line when that was a rare thing. I remember that must have been about eleven. Watched it on abc when living in Katherine.

On review I probably reckon the roosters 0-4 and that two point loss to the storm in regular season before the touch up in the gf were pretty much up there, but to watch a new team show grit and determination filled me with a heap of hope last night

It was an atrocious first 15 min in defense and an average 65min in attack. We had enough ball and talent to win 2 games. 2 home losses already is nothing to be pleased about. We have some serious catching up to do already.

Agree mate,
Although there were some very exiting positives to come from the game,
I am still very disappointed in our attack considering the field position and quantity of ball we had in 2nd half.

I understand that there wasn't much in many of our plays that "could of scored" but the fact remains there were lots of opportunities that we did not nail when it countered.

Maybe it is because I hate souffs so much- but if were on top of our game in 2nd half,we could have put 30 on the dirty rotten flea bitten vermin

Should never ever have let them back ion the comp

In all that,you have to be proud of our new recruits for their efforts

That is the sort of loss that you can built a season around. Last night I believe the new and the old players came together. You could actually see them becoming a team.

Other thoughts,

Starling comes of age. Break through game, first time I have seen him want to dominate the opposition.

Brown shows why he is one of the best bench players going. Comes on full of passion and energy. He ripped in.

Forward pack started to play as a "pack"

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is. This team showed me they have that one thing a coach can't give. The desire to win.

I think the nrl should award manly 2 points for last night's loss. Our team showed such heart and deserved to win, plainly.

But I guarantee that Greenberg won't even consider it. He's such a hater.

Phil Gould made a good point about the short turnarounds last night - it's not the end of the game where the fatigue gets you, it's the beginning where you start out tired, flat and lacking in energy or spark. Once you get into the game, your base fitness kicks in and it's less of an issue.

Anecdotally, I reckon he's right. I know myself, if I play a sport or even train when I'm already sore and tired, it's the beginning of the game/session where it really hurts and you don't want to be there. Once you get into it you just run on fitness and muscle memory and get through it.
I know for a fact that is the case, I have run and trained for many marathons, in training it is never the end of the run it is the start! Your body and mind fights the need to go again, but after about 20min you adjust and get into a rhythm. Let's just see how they fare in 3 weeks time as that is when in my experience the real effects of over exertion comes into play

I know for a fact that is the case, I have run and trained for many marathons, in training it is never the end of the run it is the start! Your body and mind fights the need to go again, but after about 20min you adjust and get into a rhythm. Let's just see how they fare in 3 weeks time as that is when in my experience the real effects of over exertion comes into play

Not a runner myself, but in my experience the same thing applies with every sport I've competed in - swimming, martial arts, and plenty of team sports. I'd say you're correct about the delayed effects of exertion as well, although I think the timeframe might vary between sports and maybe individuals. I've always done the short, fast, sprint-y stuff and I'll have my 'hit the wall' day around 5-6 days after a major exertion or increase in training loads. Not soreness, but just the total lack of energy.

Not a runner myself, but in my experience the same thing applies with every sport I've competed in - swimming, martial arts, and plenty of team sports. I'd say you're correct about the delayed effects of exertion as well, although I think the timeframe might vary between sports and maybe individuals. I've always done the short, fast, sprint-y stuff and I'll have my 'hit the wall' day around 5-6 days after a major exertion or increase in training loads. Not soreness, but just the total lack of energy.
There is a good rule in running about recovery - a day for a k when at optimum, that excludes the physical exertion of contact that this game brings. Anyone that says these guys are soft are likely soft themselves

A loss is a loss. We had a lucky win last week. things went our way. We had a good go but came up short yedterday. Really at this point in the season we need the two points. If we want to make the eight we have to have a 50 % or better win rate. Currently 12th with a few matches to go.

something night[/QUOTE]
That was like a forty two - twenty something score line when that was a rare thing. I remember that must have been about eleven. Watched it on abc when living in Katherine.

On review I probably reckon the roosters 0-4 and that two point loss to the storm in regular season before the touch up in the gf were pretty much up there, but to watch a new team show grit and determination filled me with a heap of hope last night

No that wasn't just a loss that we should have won. That was a bunch of blokes who were thrown together not that long ago saying duck it we are manly now and let's bloody play like it. If you didn't see what I saw last night then I'm sorry and also a bit relieved for you that rugby league doesn't (and trust me I'm an intelligent man and know I should be above a team three and a half or five thousand kilometres away affecting my state of mind) affect you as seriously as it does me but there was magic there last night. It started when Matai and Tafua threw that Souths winger over the sideline and yeah it was 16 points too late at the end of the day but that's the point our next two premierships started. Like the day we played the Cowboys and BK showed our blokes we could be winners.

No that wasn't just a loss that we should have won. That was a bunch of blokes who were thrown together not that long ago saying duck it we are manly now and let's bloody play like it. If you didn't see what I saw last night then I'm sorry and also a bit relieved for you that rugby league doesn't (and trust me I'm an intelligent man and know I should be above a team three and a half or five thousand kilometres away affecting my state of mind) affect you as seriously as it does me but there was magic there last night. It started when Matai and Tafua threw that Souths winger over the sideline and yeah it was 16 points too late at the end of the day but that's the point our next two premierships started. Like the day we played the Cowboys and BK showed our blokes we could be winners.
I agree . I remember some of the dreadful efforts we put in last year with Foran and others not even trying. Last night was special and such a contrast to those shockers from last year. There was a lot of magic there........
The way Tafua played after the week before, it was Jorge at his best it meant a lot to him..............
..The look on Dylan's face, and his reaction when he scored that try, it was priceless (keiran who??)......
The way Api never stopped trying............
How about Vave's all round mighty effort? Special mention to his last tackle kick to get a repeat set (one of the best Manly last tackle options all night) and his jig to Eagle Rock at the start of the second half.............
Josh Starling took his game to another level........
Tommy just keeps getting more terrific as he showed again last night....
There was a lot to like about the way the boys played last night. It was special.
Credit also to Baz, he has to be doing some good things with the coaching.
We might not have gotten the two points but there was a lot to like.

In the first 15 mins I thought it was going to be round 1 all over again.

The rest of the match had a lot of positives but in the end we weren't good enough to win.

I don't get the comparisons with the 4 nil Roosters match though. That was an arm wrestle between 2 almost perfect teams. Thursday's match was not of a high standard, and either side would have been lapped by one of the real contenders.

We're not as shot as it looked in round 1, but we still have a long way to go. We might make a bit of a splash this year if all goes well, I don't think we will be genuine contenders until next season at best.

In the first 15 mins I thought it was going to be round 1 all over again.

The rest of the match had a lot of positives but in the end we weren't good enough to win.

I don't get the comparisons with the 4 nil Roosters match though. That was an arm wrestle between 2 almost perfect teams. Thursday's match was not of a high standard, and either side would have been lapped by one of the real contenders.

We're not as shot as it looked in round 1, but we still have a long way to go. We might make a bit of a splash this year if all goes well, I don't think we will be genuine contenders until next season at best.

Agree , I think we won't be real contenders this year but I still see us playing finals footy this year( be it from very bottom 8)

I'm normally kicking rocks for a few days after we lose but I came away feeling pretty confident about our chances this year. Hope I'm not deluding myself but I still think we will be able to match it with the best when it all clicks.
PS, Dylan Walkers chest thump after he scored was just awesome...this team has heart.

I'm rueing the fumble by brown, after api was stripped over the line. The ball was there to pick up and plant down, but he rushed it and got too close to the souths guys on the ground. Next time, Pick it up, breathe, then stroll over away from the sprawled players.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7