1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best backrow?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by eagle66, Aug 4, 2014.

1. eagle66

eagle66 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +273 / 11
    I was watching Manly v Sydney City match yesterday from 1997 and Ray Warren asked an interesting question, "is (was) the backrow for Manly, Menzies, Gartner & Kosef the best backrow ever seen in Rugby League?" The only combination thrown up was the backrow from Souths, McCarthy, Stevens and Sait from the 60's.
    Any thoughts on the best backrow from a team from NRL season's? No matter how much we ridicule T-rex, our backrow for 2011 must get close, Stewart, Watmough & Williams.
    I don't watch much of the opposition's games, so it is hard for me to consider any of the opposition.

2. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 20
    Menzies, Watmough, Kennedy 2005-06

• Like Like x 7
  3. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,735 / 125
    Choc, Gifty and Beaver were pretty handy together as well. We also had some good back rows in the 70's and 80's. Mal Reilly, Igor & Zorba. Crusher, Rambo Gibbs and Fatty.

Penrith had Geyer, Cartwright and Van der Voort back in the early 90's (and Fittler when he played there).

Norm Provan, Elton Rasmussen and Johnny Raper won a few premierships together for St George in the 60's.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RiverEagle

RiverEagle New Member

Ratings:
    +1,055 / 0
    Watching the Tigs game tonight reminds me of Pearce, Sironen and McGuire/Dave Brooks for them in the late 80's.

They made consecutive grand finals, but just fell short. (Brooks was a good goal-kicker too).

My Manly bias felt Beaver, Gartner, Kosef were just as good. And we've had great back rows year by year; decade by decade.

Choc would just about be in any Manly team, any era, for mine (even just on the bench ).

5. silvertail

silvertail Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 6
    Menzies, Gartner & Kosef are a shade better than any backrow ever seen in Rugby League. All 3 could attack ... And that included the ability to score long range tries. All 3 were superb defenders ... And that included one on ones. All 3 were sublimely talented ... And great ambassadors for league.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RiverEagle

RiverEagle New Member

Ratings:
    +1,055 / 0
    I would hesitate to say Nik Kosef could score a long range try mate.

Especially when his knees became chronically dodgy, in the backend of his career.

Certainly Beaver and Garts had enough pace to play in the back line, for sure.

But fully concur: all Manly greats. (Daniel Gartner was quite underrated too).

• Like Like x 2
  7. silvertail

silvertail Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 6
    I knew someone would pipe up and comment on Nik's dodgy knee ... :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. RiverEagle

RiverEagle New Member

Ratings:
    +1,055 / 0
    Nik was Bozo's (and the game's) first oversized 5/8 too!

Long before Sutton or $BW were played there.

Loved Kosef and co.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,695 / 27
    That was a sensational backrow.

I think BK and Beaver rate as 2 of the greatest all time backrowers (alongside people like Brad Clyde), and Choc is pretty handy too, although I can't put him alongside those players.

I remember back in that era Matty Johns used to talk about Manly's backrow and how it was so different to other teams, and that Manly's direction at that time didn't come from their halves but from their backrow.

That backrow had tonnes of mongrel (BK and Choc were as aggressive as anyone), ball skills (Beaver was a talent, and BKs offloads were exceptional), massive workrate (all 3 could and did play for 80mins making a mountain of tackles and hitups) and they could all score a try.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    100% agree, especially at the time this was the best backrow ever seen.

It wasn't dodgy for his whole career. Which means the original point stands. When these 3 were all fit and all firing, this was the best backrow ever seen, they were unstoppable and would burn teams constantly, then turn around and stop anyone that ran at them.

11. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    Olsen Filipaina was bigger.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,401 / 130
    I Martin
    P Lowe
    T Randall

• Like Like x 3
  13. Killer03

Ratings:
    +2,695 / 27
    Robbo was even bigger.....are we still talking about the same thing?

14. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,341 / 111
    odds to kick a goal in a grand final?

15. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,735 / 125
    Isn't it funny how a lot of back rowers started out as centres or halves in the junior grades and even played there in first grade, be it for a long time or briefly. Igor, Ian Martin, Crusher, Rambo, Des, Beaver, Garts.

Even She-Rex started in first grade at Parramatta as a winger. He was either going to be the next Manu (he could have been if he wasn't so lazy) or a damaging back rower, which he has been and still could be if.....surprise surprise he wasn't so lazy. The Scumdogs problem is they don't have someone like Foz, who constantly yelled at him to run the damn ball at pace, to get him to do what he is good at.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Killer03

Ratings:
    +2,695 / 27
    He played on the wing for us for a while too.

17. RiverEagle

RiverEagle New Member

Ratings:
    +1,055 / 0
    And the bloody wingers all over the place now are as big as props!

And twice as fast.

(Apart from our Starlo and BJ, that is!)

18. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Watmough, Buhrer & Symonds

• Like Like x 1
  19. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    Tony Jensen, Mark Shipway and Sam Harris

• Like Like x 2
  20. TWO DOGS

TWO DOGS Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Berry
    Ratings:
    +429 / 1
    Great backrow Bob. Also Martin played 5/8 and I'm sure we had Reilly, Lowe, Randall.