Berkeley Vale & Manly rising star Jason Annear farewelled at emotional funeral

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles 78

Berkeley Vale and Manly rising star Jason Annear farewelled at emotional funeral service

http://express-advocate-gosford.whereilive.com.au/news/story/berkeley-vale-and-manly-rising-star-jason-annear-farewelled-at-emotional-funeral-service/

Former Berkeley Vale Rugby League junior and Manly Sea Eagles rising star Jason Annear was farewelled this afternoon during an emotional funeral service at Mingara.

Just under 1000 people packed into the auditorium to celebrate the 21-year-old's life which was tragically cut short on October 6.

The promising backrower's body was found at the base of a cliff near Freshwater Beach last week following the Sea Eagles presentation night.

Manly officials and players including Cliff Lyons and Jamie Lyon formed a protective guard around family and friends while they paid tribute to the "happy friend and funny guy with the cheeky grin that touched us all".

Former Berkeley Vale team mates donned white ties embroidered with Annear's name and consoled his Manly team mates while a video tribute featuring beloved family photos and team shots played on a large screen.

"Jason was the best son, cousin, nephew, room mate, school mate, good mate and best mate anyone could ever ask for," best friend Max Beer said.

"I love you like a brother mate. It's going to be tough, but you'll always be in my heart."

Annear's parents Sandra and Craig, his older brother Steven and younger sister Kelly said an emotional farewell laying flowers on his coffin, which was adorned with photos and beside his framed Central Coast rep jersey, while Youth Group's Forever Young echoed throughout the auditorium.

In a touching tribute family and friends looked on while a traditional Haka was performed before departing to one of the NRL's rising stars favourite bands, the Foo Fighters My Hero.

Earlier this week the Sea Eagles ensured Annear's memory would live on, with the former Glenning Valley man joining the elite list of footballer to have played first grade with Manly by being allocated his own number - 543.

I never met Jason though I was present at that last awards night immediately before his tragic death. His family and close friends will be enduring a tough time now and I know for some of them it will be hard to get over. As for the club and Jason's teammates, the effect of his loss will only be known over the passage of time. Board ructions notwithstanding, my impression is that this club is pretty tight overall and certainly the playing group undoubtedly is. Anyone lucky enough to have mixed with the players knows this.

For supporters like me who haven't been quite so directly touched by this, hopefully we remain mindful that players and the club will continue to be affected in various ways, and that our support is significant. Here's hoping for some slightly more sensitive barracking in the coming season, because while our team is made up of highly paid professionals, they are first and foremost young men with human feelings just like us. I trust the club will continue to offer support to his grieving family. RIP Jason Annear, Manly Sea Eagle player 543, and let's all get behind the teammates left behind in 2013 and beyond.

Well said SER8. A young life tragically cut down way too short... the ripples will effect his family & friends for the rest of their lives.

Manly unite in 2013.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere. Well done to all concerned.

Promising Sea Eagles player Jason Annear, who tragically passed away this month, is set be added to the club's first grade registry, granting him an honorary place in Manly history.

Since 1947, each Manly player to appear in first grade has been assigned a number, starting with Max Whitehead as player #1.

Named 19th man twice throughout the season, Jason was poised to make his NRL debut and join that list. He had recently signed a new contract with the Sea Eagles and was an exciting first grade prospect for 2013.

In recognition of his immense potential and dedication to the club, Jason will enter the record books as player 543.

Manly Warringah Football Club Chairman Bob Reilly believes it is a fitting tribute to a promising career cut short.

“Manly is one big family and to lose one of our own is devastating beyond words," he said. "We wanted to find an appropriate way to honour Jason’s memory.

"By giving him a first grade number, he’ll be enshrined in Manly’s history forever.”

Jason's entry into the Sea Eagles record books will represent the first time in the club's history that a player has been registered posthumously.

His family will be presented with a Sea Eagles playing jersey bearing his name and number later this year.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4