Benny Elias Comments re: Origin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've lost interest since the NSW selectors have shown themselves unable or incapable of actually selecting in-form players in their best positions,,,, so about 8 years ago.
Kurt Gidley as captian off the bench was my personal favourite.
With Pearce's continual selection as a close second.

I've lost interest since the NSW selectors have shown themselves unable or incapable of actually selecting in-form players in their best positions,,,, so about 8 years ago.
Kurt Gidley as captian off the bench was my personal favourite.
With Pearce's continual selection as a close second.
The irony is that this year Pearce was picked on club form. What irritates me is that there seems to be a black line through any canberra player. Austin should be in that team. He's made for origin. He has a less grubby version of josh Reynolds passion

Ive had this conversation with a few ppl at my work this year, even my missus said that there is no excitment around origin these days.

Somebody from my workplace asked me was I looking forward to the game tonight and I told her: "Who is playing tonight?" Seriously, I forgot it was on...

Possibly. It would help if scrums were forced to stay 'bound' until the ball had cleared the scrum, the backline actually contained backs and set themselves deep so they could attack, and the coaches worked on plays from the scrums. Scrums should be the best place for backline attack but they are a complete shambles. I don't mind the half feeding the ball shoddily, but not allowing pushing and binding has made this part of the sport a laughing stock.

Sounds like you're you putting in application to be Technical Coach's assistant!:giggle:

I read an article a while ago (can't remember where exactly) that to bring the ball players back into the game (especially forward ball players) the defensive line should be taken back 5m instead of 10m. The argument being that getting a 10m running start before you reach the defence encourages the bash and barge tactics we see today. A team can make 40-50m without making a line break or even passing the ball, put a decent kick and chase on the end and you've gone 70-80m in the set. Changing back to 5m would encourage some ball playing to get through the line as bash and barge will only gain you 20-25m.

I can see the logic in this argument as teams also wouldn't need to wrestle and slow down the play the ball as much as their defensive line only has to retreat 5m instead of 10m. With the current guarantee of 70m gain per set, teams are playing field position and waiting for a mistake, rather than playing actual football to create line breaks and scoring opportunities.

I think Gould may of even written that one. I think with the wrestle now days, if it went back to the 5m it would give limited opportunity's for teams to get on a roll like NSW in origin 1 2nd half. I guess like any rule changes, coaches will change tactics to suit.

The irony is that this year Pearce was picked on club form. What irritates me is that there seems to be a black line through any canberra player. Austin should be in that team. He's made for origin. He has a less grubby version of josh Reynolds passion

Yep, they are scared to lose rather than dare to win.
The stupid thing is that they acknowledge that Austin is in career best form ( which just so happens to be very bloody good atm) but "we want to see consistency" they say.
Who gives a rat's about next year, we want to watch a team that has a crack and if they lose at least go down swinging.
Imagine Tedesco, Austin, Moylan etc in the one team, yeah they may leak points but sure as $h!t you'd think we'll score a few too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6