Bennett to Knights

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Sorry to say but bennett will do nothing at newcastle saints had a not bad side before he went there who have newcastle got.

Mullen, DeGois, Gidley, & Patterson to name a few. They also have Beau Henry who Bennett is a big fan of. Newy have a very solid size & the cap space to bring in some difference makers.

I would be surprised if Bennett does not bring them a premiership given his track record.

Don't think they'll have too much of a problem attracting decent players to the club with Bennetts reputation and Tinklers money.

interesting to see Idris is getting 2 million at Titans but they can,t pay their staff or contractors on time.they requested an advance on their NRL grant 3 times last year,dont pay the juniors on contract or the tradies yet bid for Inglis and Idris.The place is a house of cards.

Apparently the Knights are going to have to cut some players as well.

If so hoping that Mark Taufau is one of them and we pick him up.

Makes decent yardage and hit's like a demon as well would put even more aggression into our forwards

The Knights have 10 players off-contract, that's why I think bennett went there, he will be able to pick his own squad. Souths have a lot of big name players but bennett would have had very limited space under their cap to bring players he wants to that club. He'll take boyd with him and he'll play 5/8th or fullback or vice versa with gidley.

Kiwi worst case they put him on "gardening leave" where he gets paid but does not have to do anything

Happened to me once - best 4 weeks of my life

It will take about 3 years before the Knights have another premiership if they get one at all.

He went to the Dragons who blind freddy could see had been recruiting well for years but just needed a coach to get them across the line, which Bennett did.

Knights are a completely raw project for Bennett and its going to take a lot longer to get them to the top

disagree dan, its not that long ago that Brian Smith cleaned house up there.

Yes they are raw but the planets are pretty well aligned for him to do things the way he wants. I'd be surprised if they won in the first year, but after that anything could be possible.

Completely agree with Dan.

The Dragons were on the cusp, the Knights are 3-4 years away and their will be no return of a prodigal son like Gaz.

The culture at the Knights will take a lot of cleaning up.

If you have the cash to fully spend the cap then you can put together a pretty good squad in a 3 year period pretty easily IMO. High player turnover and short term contracts means the player market is pretty liquid. Where the comp is won and lost is on the quality of your second tier players as most clubs have a core of elite talent. Bennett offers two benefits there, an eye for untapped talent and an ability to extract the maximum amount of that talent. Also don't underestimate his ability to attract players at a discount because he IS Wayne Bennett. I'll be surprised if the combination of Tinkler's $$$$ and Bennetts smarts don't deliver a side that contests a GF within the 4 years. Whether they win or not depends on whether they play us in that GF.

On the same subject I heard Brad Walter from SMH on the BSB this morning and he reckons that Michael Ennis has a get out clause is his new Bulldogs contract that will enable him to follow Bennett to his home town of Newcastle.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6