1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bennett Sooking Again

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by TerryRandall, May 19, 2016.

1. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    I see poor Wayne is upset at the bad old NRL for making his precious broncos play games during origin. The guy has a hide thicker than a rhino - can't believe he can whinge about anything given the pampered ride his team gets every year. Fair dinkum. The only team in brisbane with their pick of the top representative talent which gets a set Friday night/seven day turnaround handed to them every year on a plate, having a whinge when said rep players have to play rep games. Unbelievable.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,698 / 27
    Oh my god!!! I thought the competition was suspended for the Broncos during origin! How will poor Wayne cope?

Wouldn't you love Barrett to come out and say he has no issue with playing games during Origin (since we'll only have Jake if that) in the same way Wayne came out and said he had no issue with 5 day turnarounds.....when has none!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,737 / 257
    Wanker!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,838 / 103
    With Brisbane having to play their 'second-stringers', this would be a perfect opportunity for Wayne to take matches to Queensland rural areas to foster the sport, and also give other clubs the chance to be seen on TV on a Friday night!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ALinda

ALinda Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +979 / 5
    Whilst I agree with 99% of what you said, Wayne is certainly not 'poor'.....far from it!

6. manlywarringah

manlywarringah Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +885 / 27
    I'm sure it was only a few years ago the NRL asked the Broncos when they wanted their byes & they said AFTER origin so they're players could have a rest before the road to the finals.

The NRL will be beside themselves if they've upset the poor babies up north.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,402 / 130
    Should of been put in nursing home home 5 years ago.

Happy to rort the cap but unhappy with the schedule.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,737 / 257
    There's a good reason he's not, he has disabled kids and he's no spring chicken , nor is his wife, so he's amassing a fortune to take care of them when they both can't or are gone.

From that angle he's a great man ( father), my wanker comment is about his comments and to be honest he should no better than to say that after the dream run they've had!!

• Like Like x 5
  9. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,402 / 130
    Yes @Mark from Brisbane I know of many great things he does outside of footy, but he likes to act like the Bronc's are hard done by.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Nordburg

Nordburg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +868 / 47
    Not sure why everyone is bagging him.Whilst his side isn't too greatly affected by 5 day turn arounds,they are affected by Origin and that is not fair on ANY team.And when Wayne complains about something,it usually gets fixed relatively quickly so this could be good for the whole game,not just the Broncos

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  11. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,759 / 100
    We are bagging him because he is not Manly and it is not only allowed but encouraged.

We will also conveniently ignore his 7 premierships at 3 different clubs, his induction into the Australia Sporting Hall of Fame, His Order of Australia,
    and the fact that he is currently coaching a top 2 team that just kicked our arse.

And we will also ignore the fact that it wasn't too many years ago that we were complaining about losing 5/6 players to SOO.

I can only hope that in the not too distant future our coach has the same reasons to whinge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TerryRandall

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    Isn't too greatly affected? Really? If you can't see the massive unfair advantage the broncos have over the rest of the competition, and the irony of complaining about rep duties for the rep players that massive advantage gives you the ability to purchase, then I give up. I never said he couldn't coach, or isn't the worlds greatest human away from the game, but I can't cop him whinging about NRL scheduling without once being fair minded and saying but of course we get the advantage of regular Friday night football and 7 day turnarounds.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Nordburg

Ratings:
    +868 / 47
    I wasn't suggesting they don't get an advantage,of course they do.But who at the NRL are going to listen to Barrett and McGregor when they aren't happy with the schedule.When Wayne speaks,they listen,so it's a fair chance all clubs will see the benefits of it.

14. MAL895

MAL895 Member

caboolture
    Ratings:
    +62 / 6
    I HATE THE BRONCOS

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. TerryRandall

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    Sorry but that's fairyland stuff. If Wayne speaks, the broncos will benefit, and manly will continue to get shafted, as it always does. Do you really think the NRL designs the schedule with fairness and impartiality in mind?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,739 / 125
    For the record, Bennett has 7 premierships at 2 clubs in this competition, Brisbane and St Merge.

At Brisbane his premiership teams have been full to the brim with representative players (which begs the question about how they were under the salary cap). His premiership with St Merge came at a time when the two previously dominant teams, Manly and Melbourne, were down and out for 2010 with injury and salary cap woes respectively. As soon as both clubs were back firing in 2011, St Merge were back in the pack, not leading it.

How did he go at Newcastle? I'm not saying he can't coach because he can. What I am saying is that I have never thought of him as the 'Supercoach' that the media like to portray him as. He has definitely benefited from advantages (especially at Brisbane) that coaches of other clubs could only dream of having.

And if he complains about anything like his players not getting to rest during Origin, he's not doing it for the benefit of all 16 NRL clubs. He's doing it in an attempt to put pressure on the NRL to give Brisbane a fair go (yeah, like they need any more advantages).

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Nordburg

Ratings:
    +868 / 47
    Fair point,Wayne does like to only talk about things that affect his side but as I see it,the system is broke now and the Broncos' draw can't be any better so anything different to what it is now,has got to be an improvement

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,759 / 100
    Credited with 3 clubs. Co-Coach of Canberra in the 80's.

@TerryRandall I understand all the advantages Bronco's have (get), but his complaints about losing SOO players IS relevant to all clubs.

The System has been in place since the 80's and the teams hard done by change (except Bronco's, and now Cowboys). Last couple of years Rorters suffered, and this year probably Sharkies.

A Team on the cusp of the 8 that loses only one player, their star, can be just as badly affected.

Also how would you like to be like Manly this week fighting to get into the 8 playing a full strength Sharkies, when in a couple of weeks time the team you are battling with plays them minus 4/5 players. Or play a weakened Broncos or Cowboys after we just played them full strength.

19. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,739 / 125
    @Woodsie Canberra never won a premiership with Bennett at the club. They did make the 1987 GF but lost to Manly. Their first premiership came in 1989 with Tim Sheens as coach. Bennett was at the Broncos by that time.

Bennett's premierships in this competition have been:
    1992, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2006, 2010. He also won the SL premiership in 1997.

He lost Grand Final's in 1987 (as co-coach with Don Furner) and 2015.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,519 / 50
    Isn't Origin just a reason for Queenslanders to overcome an inferiority complex. Living amongst the natives I swear they put being Queensland above being Australian.
    I'm glad Jamie had the balls to declare himself unavailable so he could concentrate on club footy.
    Every time a Manly player is in SOO I spend them whole time just hoping for no injuries.
    Bennett has the season handed to him on a platter so he has the least right to complain IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1