Bennett Quits Knights

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
HappilyManly said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Where is all this Bennett was a failure at the Knights chat coming from ?

They were 1 game away from the Grand Final last year

Bennett is the one saying it on Foxsports.

He says 'I've tried for 3 years and failed, so its time for someone else to have a go'.

The fact that his monies were from HSG, who are now defunct, was not raised by any Journo :cool:

This news article from last month stated that he now has the worst record of any Newcastle coach. Ever.:

http://www.foxsports.com.au//nrl/nrl-premiership/wayne-bennett-now-has-the-worst-record-of-any-newcastle-knights-coach/story-e6frf3su-1226962360450

Daaaaarius must be ****ting himself " oh no another club".

You can bet he has an out, and Bennett will demand Darius comes as part of the. " package "

Mark from Brisbane said:
Daaaaarius must be ****ting himself " oh no another club".

You can bet he has an out, and Bennett will demand Darius comes as part of the. " package "

The Bennett demands Daruis's package package?

Maybe Bennett is trying to get away from Boyd?? And then everytime he follows him he thinks 'bl**** hell I nearly got away that time!'

castle eagle said:
check out the darius boyd interview from this morning about bennet leaving the club:
http://www.kofm.com.au/sport/nrl/news/2014/7/video-darius-boyd-lost-for-words-about-newcastle-wayne-bennett-questions/

what a dead set d!ck
'Have a safe trip', lol

Jethro said:
HappilyManly said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Where is all this Bennett was a failure at the Knights chat coming from ?

They were 1 game away from the Grand Final last year

Bennett is the one saying it on Foxsports.

He says 'I've tried for 3 years and failed, so its time for someone else to have a go'.

The fact that his monies were from HSG, who are now defunct, was not raised by any Journo :cool:

This news article from last month stated that he now has the worst record of any Newcastle coach. Ever.:

http://www.foxsports.com.au//nrl/nrl-premiership/wayne-bennett-now-has-the-worst-record-of-any-newcastle-knights-coach/story-e6frf3su-1226962360450

Very surprising, as i think they have made the finals both years he has been I charge. Mind you, you'd expect any coaches during the Johns era up there to have a pretty fair record

Never seen a guy so much about the money. Bennett and the Knights have had a talk about renumeration and they can't afford to pay him Nathan Tinkler glory days money anymore.

The only reason he went to the Knights was for the money and the only reason he's leaving the Knights is because of money.

The Bennett/Tinkler era has been a really poor one for the Knights. I remember when it was announced the consensus up here was that Bennetts 4 years would yield a MINIMUM of 2 titles. At the time I couldn't help but laugh, as I felt the Knights just didn't have the cattle to do it.

The other thing that has been really poor up here is that Bennett and Tinkler have pretty much alienated the local media and the fans. They haven't been accessible to the local community and as such there is a real disconnect between the Knights and the area. Whilst I have no love for the Knights, that's really weak I think. When I first moved up here (2006), the love from the community towards the Knights was unbelievably strong, even during the Brian Smith "get rid of everyone" era.

COMMANDER said:
Never seen a guy so much about the money. Bennett and the Knights have had a talk about renumeration and they can't afford to pay him Nathan Tinkler glory days money anymore.

The only reason he went to the Knights was for the money and the only reason he's leaving the Knights is because of money.

This is what I was thinking, he comes across as a family man only worried about his players but deep down its all about the money. He left Brisbane to go to Saints for truck loads of cash and then Tinkler threw even more at him to go to Knights and now the money has obviously dried up at newcastle he decides to leave and then the next day romours the saints are throwing more cash at him again. Good luck to him, why not cash in if you can just dont make out your all worried about players etc

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH SEPTEMBER 30, 2013
Just 24 hours after his team and club legend Danny Buderus were knocked out of the finals, Bennett told The Daily Telegraph on Sunday night he was not going anywhere.

And the seven-time premiership winning coach declared his commitment to the Knights, with or without struggling owner Nathan Tinkler.

“You people in the media started all this speculation,” Bennett said.

“I haven’t said anything because I don’t comment on rumours in newspapers.
“I’ve never said I was going anywhere. We’ve finished the season good but the job’s not done yet. I’m staying.”
The job 's not done yet and he is now leaving . Well done Wayne :)

RiverEagle said:
Just saw it on Fox, too.

Am surprised he's throwing it in.

If he can't see hope in the Noughts next year, not good.

I wonder if Griffin's nervous (up at the Bronx...?)

He is only walking away because the knights won't give him his $1m salary next year now that Tinkler is not around. It is all about money with bennett

Yeah I've realized that too mate.

Even his reputation and the fate of the club, not important if the cash ain't right!

I thought perhaps he wanted to just go home too @tookey ?

If he just goes back to the Drags, it'll quash that theory too.

Wasn't Bennett being paid secret monies by sime QLD Millionaire whilst the Broncos Coach ? I think that after the guy died in a plane crash it all came to light.

Is Bennet a great coach?

He has the worst record as a coach in Newcastle. (As advised earlier on this forum.)

He won a premiership with the Illawarra Dragons (that year Melbourne was excluded due to the salary cap issue.) Manly were busted going into the playoffs that year so Manly bowed out early.

He won six(?) premierships with Brisbane but remember at that time he basically had the Queensland State of Origin side while at Brisbane.

He was co-coach of the Raiders that had such names as Mal Meninga in 1987 that was comprehensively beaten by Paul Vautin's Manly side. After that game he went to Brisbane.

I am not bagging the guy. He is obviously a good coach but can we put him in the great coach category?

Have to agree with @Daddycool08 on this.

Bennett has done nothing of note with the Knights.

His 2010 premiership with the Dragons came when Manly were decimated by injury, Melbourne were in the middle of their big salary cap drama, and Parramatta (more to the point Jarryd Hayne) simply couldn't sustain the form that had taken them to the 2009 GF. That left the Chooks and a coach in Brian Smith who couldn't win a GF even if the match was fixed. Don't get me wrong, the Dragons od 2010 were a good side with players such as BMoz, Gasnier, Cooper, Scott, Benny's love child, and Soward in career best form, but once Manly and Melbourne were back on song in 2011 the Dragons were nowhere again.

At the Donkeys he did have a virtual SoO or Test team to play with most years, including the first two years where they didn't even make the finals (though admittedly, players like Lewis, Miles, Scott & Conescu were past their best). Just take a look at the `93 GF team. Only 2 of 16 players had not played Origin or a Test match to that point and most were premiership players in `92 (what salary cap?). When you have the likes of Langer, Lazarus, the Walters twins, Renouf, Hancock, Carne, Johns, Gillmeister, and later players like Sailor, Thorn, Tallis, Carroll and Lockyer, you're going to win a few premierships if they stay healthy.

The 1987 Raiders team was full of Qld Origin players as well. Meninga, Belcher, Peter Jackson. Plus they had future Origin players Sam Backo and Steve Walters, plus Kevin Walters on the bench, Brent Todd was a Kiwi international, and waiting in the wings were 4 young kids named Clyde, Daley, Lazarus and Stuart. But we still beat them in the GF ;)

Wayne Bennett is a very good coach, that I don't doubt. But as he has shown with Newcastle, a coach is only as good as they players he has out there on the field. Some coaches get more out of their players than others and he hasn't been able to produce with who he has in the Hunter. Kurt Gidley is no Andrew Johns.

Bennett is regarded as a "Supercoach", but if he didn't have all of those Origin and Test players at his disposal, would he have won as many premierships as he has done?

Now st merge are rebuilding....benji, widdop, merrin, dugan...and probably boyd, etc....he'll probably want to go back there to re-invent his greatness.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2