1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benji to face trial

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Rex, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Benji Marshall to face court on assault charge

* Peter Kogoy
    * June 10, 2011 2:27PM

WESTS Tigers superstar Benji Marshall is to face a court hearing in August over a charge of assaulting a man at a fast food outlet in Sydney's CBD.

Marshall, the New Zealand Test captain was not required to appear in the Downing Centre Local Court today, when the three-day hearing was set to begin on August 23.

Named in court papers as Benjamin Quentin Marshall, 26, of Breakfast Point, he is accused of assaulting Soliman Naimey, occasioning actual bodily harm.

He is alleged to have attacked the man in the early hours of the morning at the fast food outlet on George Street on March 5.

His solicitor, John Byrnes, said 14 witnesses would appear for the prosecution, and up to four for the defence.

Outside court, he declined to name them.

A medical certificate might also be tendered, he told Magistrate Lisa Stapleton.

Byrnes had previously entered a not guilty plea on Marshall's behalf at an earlier court mention in April.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/benji-marshall-to-face-trial-on-assault-charge/story-e6frg7mf-1226073066558

2. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I will attempt to be there with my trusty pen to separate the bull**** from the facts. To paint the picture, as it were. Just what was said to rile the great man.

3. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,802 / 122
    Thanks, there will be certainly be some interest in the case, and going from what happened during Snake's trial the media reports won't provide much at all.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jjai

jjai Active Member

Ratings:
    +88 / 0
    Gone.. 14 witness`s.. plus cctv i presume

Lets see what gallop does.. i wonder why it took so long?? would have been a late October court case had the Tigers been going like they were predicted to be..

• Like Like x 1
  5. supersoniceagle

supersoniceagle Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    You can't assume he's gone. Most assumed the same about Stewart. Who are the witnesses? Might just be the guy's friends which is hardly credible

6. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Quentin ?!?!?! LOL. Maybe that's what riled him up.

Benji's punch was an inadvertant mistake, much like Todd's DUI.

7. Pearso

Pearso Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm pretty sure there was a witness that stated it was Marshall's mate that actually punched the bloke.

8. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    I certainly hope they are not going to play the 'he said something racist' card again. That works in the court of public opinion and the media but is a poor defense in court.

August is a crappy time for anyone in the NRL to be in court, in the final rounds leading up to the pointy end of the season. Tigers fans should hope that they have accrued the required points early as it might well throw the team into disarray, even if nothing is proven.

As to declaring if he is innocent or guilty, we should all have the same attitude we did when Stewie was before the court, it is hypocritical to assume the innocence of one man and the guilt of another.

9. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,802 / 122
    For me the main interest is how Gallop will react in the event he gets found guilty. Meanwhile as Rusty says, he remains innocent and speculation about what happened and who the witnesses are is unfair. When the time comes our ace reporter DSM5 will let us know what evidence comes out in court.