Benji to face trial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
Benji Marshall to face court on assault charge

* Peter Kogoy
* June 10, 2011 2:27PM

WESTS Tigers superstar Benji Marshall is to face a court hearing in August over a charge of assaulting a man at a fast food outlet in Sydney's CBD.

Marshall, the New Zealand Test captain was not required to appear in the Downing Centre Local Court today, when the three-day hearing was set to begin on August 23.

Named in court papers as Benjamin Quentin Marshall, 26, of Breakfast Point, he is accused of assaulting Soliman Naimey, occasioning actual bodily harm.

He is alleged to have attacked the man in the early hours of the morning at the fast food outlet on George Street on March 5.

His solicitor, John Byrnes, said 14 witnesses would appear for the prosecution, and up to four for the defence.

Outside court, he declined to name them.

A medical certificate might also be tendered, he told Magistrate Lisa Stapleton.

Byrnes had previously entered a not guilty plea on Marshall's behalf at an earlier court mention in April.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/benji-marshall-to-face-trial-on-assault-charge/story-e6frg7mf-1226073066558

I will attempt to be there with my trusty pen to separate the bull**** from the facts. To paint the picture, as it were. Just what was said to rile the great man.

Gone.. 14 witness`s.. plus cctv i presume

Lets see what gallop does.. i wonder why it took so long?? would have been a late October court case had the Tigers been going like they were predicted to be..

jjai said:

Lets see what gallop does.. i wonder why it took so long?? would have been a late October court case had the Tigers been going like they were predicted to be..
You can't assume he's gone. Most assumed the same about Stewart. Who are the witnesses? Might just be the guy's friends which is hardly credible

Quentin ?!?!?! LOL. Maybe that's what riled him up.

Benji's punch was an inadvertant mistake, much like Todd's DUI.

supersoniceagle said:
jjai said:

You can't assume he's gone. Most assumed the same about Stewart. Who are the witnesses? Might just be the guy's friends which is hardly credible

I'm pretty sure there was a witness that stated it was Marshall's mate that actually punched the bloke.

I certainly hope they are not going to play the 'he said something racist' card again. That works in the court of public opinion and the media but is a poor defense in court.

August is a crappy time for anyone in the NRL to be in court, in the final rounds leading up to the pointy end of the season. Tigers fans should hope that they have accrued the required points early as it might well throw the team into disarray, even if nothing is proven.

As to declaring if he is innocent or guilty, we should all have the same attitude we did when Stewie was before the court, it is hypocritical to assume the innocence of one man and the guilt of another.

For me the main interest is how Gallop will react in the event he gets found guilty. Meanwhile as Rusty says, he remains innocent and speculation about what happened and who the witnesses are is unfair. When the time comes our ace reporter DSM5 will let us know what evidence comes out in court.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2