Benji Marshall Questioned by Police

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just wondering had it been Frank-Paul at Maccas, would our hero have baited him with his alledged racial abuse??

Frank+Paul+Nuuausala+New+Zealand+v+Papua+New+gdC-WwHHLd7l.jpg

me thinks NOT. I hope the media does go after this weed. I hate cowards.

So the bloke abuses the crap out of Benji and then cries to the cops when he cops one in the head!! i am just glad it wasn't a manly player and don't blame Marshall for what he did

The guy is a coward but Benji has no doubt been called worse and should not have reacted unless it was a matter of self defence, not just on words alone.

Ant80 link said:
I'm actually at the other end of the scale. Benji shouldn't be punished here the f**kers that called him a black so and so deserved eveything they got!!

No matter what the provocation, Benji "the face of rugby league" should of just walked away. He knows he's going to be targeted so why is he out at 3am? That's just asking for trouble.

Then there's the other question Was he drinking or not? If he wasn't he should of been able to handle it, if he was drinking then he should cop a similar treatment as Brett for bringing the game into disrepute.

Volley link said:
Good on Benji for giving the prick one.

I wish he did more damage.

Good to see how much disgust many are expressing at the suggestion there was racist abuse hurled at someone.

Hopefully this is not simply because Benji might currently be the most popular Kiwi in Australia. Presumably everyone would feel exactly the same way if an assault under similar circumstances was committed by any unknown Arab, or Filipino/Sudanese/Sri Lankan boat person...etc  etc?

swoop link said:
[quote author=Ant80 link=topic=186665.msg320002#msg320002 date=1299342443]
I'm actually at the other end of the scale. Benji shouldn't be punished here the f**kers that called him a black so and so deserved eveything they got!!

No matter what the provocation, Benji "the face of rugby league" should of just walked away. He knows he's going to be targeted so why is he out at 3am? That's just asking for trouble.

Then there's the other question Was he drinking or not? If he wasn't he should of been able to handle it, if he was drinking then he should cop a similar treatment as Brett for bringing the game into disrepute.
[/quote]

Anyone else here finding it hard to believe that a player would still be out at 3am and not have been/be on the drink?

NRL statement on Benji Marshall -

The National Rugby League has been made aware of an incident involving Wests Tigers player Benji Marshall.

The Wests Tigers have already undertaken to make a full report to the NRL.

The NRL will closely monitor the report and any police investigation while also conducting any additional inquiries the NRL deems necessary. NRL inquires have, where appropriate, in the past been assisted by former police officers acting in an investigative role.

“It is always important that the club is given the opportunity to examine the facts and report to the NRL before we determine whether there is a need for intervention on our part,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“This will also no doubt depend on some of the issues being investigated by police.

“Clearly it is in everyone’s interests to determine the matter as soon as possible.”

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-statement-on-benji-marshall/tabid/10874/newsid/61597/default.aspx

Brookie4eva link said:
“It is always important that the club is given the opportunity to examine the facts and report to the NRL before we determine whether there is a need for intervention on our part,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“This will also no doubt depend on some of the issues being investigated by police.

“Clearly it is in everyone’s interests to determine the matter as soon as possible.”

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-statement-on-benji-marshall/tabid/10874/newsid/61597/default.aspx

Did the same apply to Brett? I think not.

WAMF link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=186665.msg320018#msg320018 date=1299365698]
[quote author=Ant80 link=topic=186665.msg320002#msg320002 date=1299342443]

[/quote]

Anyone else here finding it hard to believe that a player would still be out at 3am and not have been/be on the drink?
[/quote]

In normal circumstances, hell no.  But since he was hosting a charity event earlier it is very possible he only had a few once that finished.  If that was the case I see no issue. 

If it turns out he had been drinking then surely Galloot's hands are tied as to the punishment that the NRL must deliver thanks to the precedent he set with Brett. Like Manly, i'm sure the tigers will give him the benifit of the doubt and take no action so the NRL will have to step in.

Therefore thanks to the precedent set:
Face of the game out on the piss gets involved in an incident where charges may be laid. <----- carbon copy of why brett got 4 weeks.
Simple - 4 week suspension. Maybe more since he's a higher profile player and captain of NZ? Maybe 6 weeks if we use Galloots suspension calculator.

So benji needs to cop a suspension or Galloot has to man up and say he got it wrong with brett and put this thing to bed already. Its just going to keep coming back to bite him in the ass.

Like with Brett, a small token fine at most should be the punishment......none of this rubbing a player out of the game crap.

Until we hear and if we hear both sides of the story i will withhold judgment.
Although it seems to me the guy who supposedly harassed Marshall has already been tarred and feathered for his "alleged" racial attack but that's only Benji's side of the story.  
Footie players deserve to be treated fairly but so does Joe Public.

The 'racial harassment' thing seems to have come out of a post lawyer interview.  Interesting to note that in Brett's case he did the very thing that Gallop says players need to do, remain calm, walk away, don't exacerbate any situation.  He did that and Gallop sits him out for four weeks.  Going forward, the club must not support Gallop to any position of influence in the game.           

What I would love to see is some actually leadership.

If Gallop was to come out and say "In hindsight the penalty issued to Brett Stewart was over the top, particularly with the facts as we now know them. Whilst there is nothing that can be done to change that, the NRL has learnt its lesson and will deal with any future incidents in a different light" would you see this as a sign of weakness or of leadership?

Spuds Bodyguard link said:
What I would love to see is some actually leadership.

If Gallop was to come out and say \"In hindsight the penalty issued to Brett Stewart was over the top, particularly with the facts as we now know them. Whilst there is nothing that can be done to change that, the NRL has learnt its lesson and will deal with any future incidents in a different light\" would you see this as a sign of weakness or of leadership?
Totally agree Spud. I think the above statement would go a long way towards mending a few fences.
It's Gallops inability to admit that he erred that makes me doubt his credentials as a leader.
I think most of us can live with an error in judgement it's the arrogance of denial that's hard to stomach.

Do you honestly this he would admit a mistake like this?

Think about the potential liability consequences. Immediately Manly, Stewie and pretty much a cast of 1000's will line up to sue

Brookie4eva link said:
NRL statement on Benji Marshall -

The National Rugby League has been made aware of an incident involving Wests Tigers player Benji Marshall.

The Wests Tigers have already undertaken to make a full report to the NRL.

The NRL will closely monitor the report and any police investigation while also conducting any additional inquiries the NRL deems necessary. NRL inquires have, where appropriate, in the past been assisted by former police officers acting in an investigative role.

Translation - what the f--- do I do now?

The sooner gallop is removed from our game the better, he is making our game the laughing stock of all professional sports, did you see all the responses in the telegraph when carny got off, not even manly fans ,but fans across the board, know he has f$3ked up big time and everyone is waiting to see what his stance will be on marshall.........im tired off his crap, the games really being brang down from the very person who is supposed to be it highest supporter....  THERE MUST BE SOMTHING WE CAN DO TO GET RID OF THIS GUY?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6