Benji Marshall Questioned by Police

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You still have to love the media don't ya, a "brawl" is now classified as a punch in the face

I don't know what the punishment should be.

Stewart getting 4 weeks was a disgrace, and clearly wrong. With it being so wrong, should it really be applied to all cases ?

It would be really hollow now, but the thing that needs to be addressed with the Stewart suspension, is a straight out apology and admitting of a mistake from the NRL, it will never happen though

The Footy Guide is cursed.  The cover boys in 2009 were Bullet, Tuqiri and Barry Hall. 

David Gallop currently working out how to snow-job this and defend his golden boy.  Is provocation enough reason to justify smacking someone in the head?

No doubt some footy players are douche bags, but these other morons in society have a lot to answer for.  I can just picture it now. Benji clocks the dude in the face and straight away the guy would have been calling the police saying "I've just been assaulted by Benji Marshall, go and get him and lock him up, I'm pressing charges!" all over what appears just a cut to the lip?

Too much testosterone for one Mcdonalds to handle.

Ralphie link said:
[quote author=Masked Eagle link=topic=186665.msg319909#msg319909 date=1299314070]
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=186665.msg319908#msg319908 date=1299313658]
As much as I think Gallop is a weak willed muppet, if what is reported is true (and that is a BIG if) and Marshall has responded to racial taunts by punching some moron in the face then good on him. I would hate to see him suspended for that.

I agree.  Some people need to start getting a grip on things.  Yes Brett got screwed big time and I'm sure he'll have a chance to get his own back but people calling for Benji to be suspended, I mean really.
[/quote]

I think you've both nailed it, racist comments are absolutely unjustified under any circumstances. It's important for all young kids to know that if you hear a racist comment from someone, then it is absolutely Ok to punch them in the face.

What a role model
[/quote]
I agree there is no place at all for racism,but what happened to teaching kids the old "it takes a bigger man to walk away".If he's a role model it seems that in this day you fight violence with violence.

4 weeks!!!!

All footy players are taught to walk away. Clearly, if true, Marshall has ignored everything he has been taught. Fools such as this will always try and provoke a response, if they get one, they win the game.

It doesn't change the reality that role models of the game should not react to provacation and if Marshall has, then he deserves everything he gets.

My guess is that the media will turn on the abuser and that it will all be swept under the carpet.

The Wheel link said:
Des words yesterday were well timed what will Gallop do now Suspend Benji without a shred of evidence like he did to Brett

I hate to say it but I think Gallop may have learnt his lesson. Therefore, we won't get any jumping to conclusions again.

Ralphie link said:
[quote author=Masked Eagle link=topic=186665.msg319909#msg319909 date=1299314070]
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=186665.msg319908#msg319908 date=1299313658]
As much as I think Gallop is a weak willed muppet, if what is reported is true (and that is a BIG if) and Marshall has responded to racial taunts by punching some moron in the face then good on him. I would hate to see him suspended for that.

I agree.  Some people need to start getting a grip on things.  Yes Brett got screwed big time and I'm sure he'll have a chance to get his own back but people calling for Benji to be suspended, I mean really.
[/quote]

I think you've both nailed it, racist comments are absolutely unjustified under any circumstances. It's important for all young kids to know that if you hear a racist comment from someone, then it is absolutely Ok to punch them in the face.

What a role model
[/quote]

Role Models are people you know, interact with, and see nearly every day

Sports stars are not role models, but that is a another debate for another topic I suppose

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Ralphie link=topic=186665.msg319915#msg319915 date=1299314693]

I agree.  Some people need to start getting a grip on things.  Yes Brett got screwed big time and I'm sure he'll have a chance to get his own back but people calling for Benji to be suspended, I mean really.
[/quote]

What a role model
[/quote]

Sports stars are not role models, but that is a another debate for another topic I suppose
[/quote]

Whether they like it or not, the kids look up to them as role models. I'm not saying it's right, but it's an indisputable fact.

Ralphie link said:
My guess is that the media will turn on the abuser and that it will all be swept under the carpet.

Yeah can't wait to see what those corrupt journo's come up with tomorrow.

It's a massive shame these incidents happen a week or so before every season.The public are hanging out for kick off and these brain explosions just turn the semi interested fan away..

$10,000 for Marshall punching someone in the head.
A picture of Gallop when he first answered his phone...Priceless

Ralphie link said:

[/quote]

What a role model
[/quote] Two wrongs don't make a right.

Ralphie link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=186665.msg319937#msg319937 date=1299316357]
[quote author=Ralphie link=topic=186665.msg319915#msg319915 date=1299314693]

[/quote]

What a role model
[/quote]

[/quote]

Whether they like it or not, the kids look up to them as role models. I'm not saying it's right, but it's an indisputable fact.
[/quote]

They look up to them as role models, in what they do on the park, that is fact

But I do question the other bit. I grew up obsessed with Cliff Lyons, it never prompted me to smoke or grow a mo or be like him off the park, it was the on the park stuff I tried to emulate

True role models are people you interact with imo

Ian Roberts was a great footballer who I loved to watch play footy,BUT I can honestly say he was no role model of mine :)

Maybe, rather than lighting the torches for a witchhunt, we should have a think about the impact on the game.

Another potential scandal as we head into TV rights etc is not good news. It is not good news for a club that is struggling to attract major sponsors...

but then again it is more fun to taunt gallop

Todd Carney,Nate Miles and Jake Friend are all role models.
Geez Rorters have some great role models in their club,it's no wonder they get so much free to air tv along with all the other benefits from Gallop.

Footballers as role models Pfft

Ralphie link said:

What a role model

At law provocation is not a defence to assault. However it can be a mitigating factor as to penalty.

Politically, of course, violence is hardly the ideal strategy for combating racism. Without prejudging what did or did not occur, 3.20am may not be the time when the most sensible decisions are made.

Benji is an over rated hack, but you guys are all going for the same media spin that damaged Brett Stewart.

The guy that got a bit a chin music from Benji sounds like he got about what he deserved.

It's a media pastime at this time of year to make mountains out of mole hills.

NRL players should be able to go out in public without drunken dickheads taking aim at them, with the sole goal of provoking a (deserved) response.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2