Benji Marshall Questioned by Police

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
Sky News is reporting that Benji Marshall (The Face of Rugby League) is being questioned by Police about an assault that happened at 3.00am today and resulted in serious facial injuries to a 3rd party.

We wait with interest

HMMMMM, bites toungue

Post  automatically merged: [time]1299309469[/time]

Police want to speak to Benji Marshall over alleged fight at the Rocks
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/police-seek-to-question-benji-marshall-over-alleged-fight-at-the-rocks/story-e6frewt0-1226016358334

By David Riccio From: The Sunday Telegraph March 05, 2011 5:05PM

Police want to speak with Benji Marshall following an alleged altercation in the Rocks in the early hours of this morning.

Marshall - the new face of NRL - is believed to have been at the scene of a physical altercation at 3am this morning.

Marshall, 26, spent last night hosting Children’s Cancer Institute Australia’s (CCIA) first annual Footy Rocks.

Police released a media statement confirming an incident involving a 26-year-old male.

Police attached to The Rocks Local Area Command are investigating an alleged assault outside a fast food restaurant in Sydney’s CBD overnight.

About 3.20am today (Saturday 5 March 2011), a verbal altercation allegedly occurred between a 24-year-old man and a 26-year-old man in George Street, near the intersection with Bridge Street.

The 26-year-old and another male allegedly assaulted the 24-year-old before leaving the area.

The 24-year-old sustained a small facial laceration and reported the alleged incident to The Rocks Police Station.

An investigation is underway into the circumstances surrounding the alleged incident, and police are hoping to speak with a 26-year-old man who may be able to assist with inquiries.

Anyone with information is asked to contact The Rocks Police Station or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000."

Glalop doesn't need to anything, I have a quote form exactly what he said when Brett was suspended and it doesn't even use bretts name....

“He was placed in a position of great honour by the game last week and he let the game down,” said Gallop.

“Our decision to suspend this player is not connected to the sexual assault allegation.

“We’re making a decision for the game.

Remove the world sexual and he can use it for Marshall

Before we hang the bloke, that article is very, very loose in it's wording

"Believed to be at the scene" could mean anything

420_gallop-420x0.jpg

Jonesyv2 link said:
Glalop doesn't need to anything, I have a quote form exactly what he said when Brett was suspended and it doesn't even use bretts name....

“He was placed in a position of great honour by the game last week and he let the game down,” said Gallop.

“Our decision to suspend this player is not connected to the sexual assault allegation.

“We’re making a decision for the game.

Remove the world sexual and he can use it for Marshall

We both know that won't happen

Kiwi Eagle link said:

\"Believed to be at the scene\" could mean anything
Exactly, we have learned a lot from the Stewart fiasco. Don't believe what you read, and innocent till proved guilty.
Besides, even if he was involved I'm sure it would have been a largely inadvertent assault anyway:)

Racist taunts spark Benji Marshall brawl
Adrian Proszenko and Les Kennedy
March 5, 2011 - 6:23PM
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/racist-taunts-spark-benji-marshall-brawl-20110305-1bioq.html

The poster boy of the NRL, Benji Marshall, claims racist taunts provoked him to punch a man in the face yesterday.

Marshall's manager, Martin Tauber, told The Sun-Herald that a group of eight to 10 people baited the Wests Tigers superstar in The Rocks about 3.20am, allegedly calling him a "black c---" and telling him to "f--- off back to New Zealand".

Mr Tauber confirmed that Marshall – pictured centre, left as the star of The Sun-Herald's 2011 Footy Guide – retaliated by punching one of his alleged tormenters in the face at the intersection of Bridge and George Streets. It is another setback days before the start of the NRL season following a run of scandals. In the past week, Todd Carney has been charged with drink-driving while league identities have been arrested over the Bulldogs betting sting.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The NRL selected Marshall – a clean skin – to officially launch the NRL season at Casula during the week. Marshall's mother, Lydia, said he was not intoxicated when they left the Four Seasons Hotel after a fundraising partnership between the Benji Marshall Foundation and the Children's Cancer Institute of Australia. "The boy is not at fault," Tauber said.

Full story and 2011 Footy Guide in tomorrow's The Sun-Herald

The key point here is that Gallop does not learn from his incompetent mistakes.

The expert advice provided, based on painful US experiences, was that no player should be selected as the face of the game.  It is simply too risky.  
1.  This advice was provided before Brett Stewart.  Gallop ignored it.  Mistake 1 - predictable & predicted outcome.
2.  The Gallop ignored it again.  Inglis as face of the game.  Mistake 2 - predictable & predicted outcome.
3.  Then Gallop ignored it again.  Matty Johns installed as effectively the face of the game in TV ads. Mistake 3 - predictable & predicted outcome.
4.  Then Gallop ignored it again.  Benji Marshall as face of the game.  Mistake 4 - predictable & predicted outcome.

It is an impossible ask.  Installing players as the face of the game puts a huge X on their forehead.  They become the target for every loser who wants to make a name for themselves and have their 15 seconds of fame. That is in addition to the normal pressures these players face and which are multiplied exponentially by this role. Every thing they have ever done - every sordid detail - instantly becomes hot news to the media.

The problem is not Benji or any other player.  It is Gallop and his erratic and fundamentally flawed decision making.

Kiwi Eagle link said:

\"Believed to be at the scene\" could mean anything

"retaliated by punching one of his alleged tormenters in the face at the intersection of Bridge and George Streets."

It seems Gallop has as much info about Marshall's incident as he did about Brett's when he knee-jerked.Brett was only refused service after his function,Marshall's incident happened after a charity function which he hosted.Buggered if I can see any difference.Would love to see this cocky little prick suspended over this.

4 weeks Gallop you WEAK a#%*hole!!!!!! 

As much as I think Gallop is a weak willed muppet, if what is reported is true (and that is a BIG if) and Marshall has responded to racial taunts by punching some moron in the face then good on him. I would hate to see him suspended for that.

Chip & Chase link said:
As much as I think Gallop is a weak willed muppet, if what is reported is true (and that is a BIG if) and Marshall has responded to racial taunts by punching some moron in the face then good on him. I would hate to see him suspended for that.

I agree.  Some people need to start getting a grip on things.  Yes Brett got screwed big time and I'm sure he'll have a chance to get his own back but people calling for Benji to be suspended, I mean really.

Des words yesterday were well timed what will Gallop do now Suspend Benji without a shred of evidence like he did to Brett

the "face of the game' is a dead-set grenade for the player. get rid of it.
You'll always get the wankers trying to make a name for themselves. By putting the player on a pedestal like that, there on a hiding to nothing. :'(

Masked Eagle link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=186665.msg319908#msg319908 date=1299313658]

I agree.  Some people need to start getting a grip on things.  Yes Brett got screwed big time and I'm sure he'll have a chance to get his own back but people calling for Benji to be suspended, I mean really.
[/quote]

I think you've both nailed it, racist comments are absolutely unjustified under any circumstances. It's important for all young kids to know that if you hear a racist comment from someone, then it is absolutely Ok to punch them in the face.

What a role model

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4