Bench conundrum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
It’s the accepted practice to have forwards as all four bench players; generally two props and two back-rowers. I think this restricts our options, and when one of our backs, (Hoppa) was injured last week there was not a ready-made replacement on our bench.
Do we need a back on the bench? I’m suggesting Wolfman/Hoppa.
My reasoning is this: Currently our bench comprises four ‘backrowers’, with Joe and Lusick stepping up to play prop, and doing a good job. Then we have Buhrer and T-Rex who interchange with Rodney (three players splitting the 80 minutes, meaning all are under-utilised).
We have an abundance of backrow talent; even Kite can play there. With Watmough and Glenn playing the 80-mins (baring injury) do we need two backrowers on our bench?
I don’t think any of us consider T-Rex as a back anymore, so it means that Buhrer is used as a makeshift winger, or Glenn moves back to play 5/8 and the other backs shuffle out.
Do you think it would cover more injury options if our bench was: Joe, Lusick, T-Rex and Wolfman/Hoppa? Sure, there are games when no backs are hurt, which would mean no need for an interchange.
I welcome your thoughts...

I see your point, but with interchanges at only 10 per match and looking to be dropped to 8 next year, you really need to carry some extra forwards on the bench to give the pigs some rest time.

The only other thing you do is try and get your forwards to play for 80.

I think the answer is to have a utility on the bench, someone that can slot into the centres or backrow, hooker or even the halves.

The problem with that is you sacrifice some extra size and muscle for the off chance someone gets injured.

If we could find another LeStrange I would have him on the bench. However as it is, T-Rex can go out there if we are desperate as well as having Bhurer who can at least slot into the centres and push Lyon or Matai out to wing

The Who said:
Matai?
He'd be an ideal utility, but he's too valuable a member of the 13.

I don't think he would be. He wouldn't work very well in the forwards. It is a whole new learning curve for him position wise.

You need a ready made utility. I can only see disaster in having Matai in the backrow, injuries to him, and also a lot of tries through the middle of the park

I think Buhrer is our utility, can play second row if someone gets injured, pushing Joe or Darcy up to the front row if needed. He can also cover hooker and centre if needed.

At one stage we toyed with the idea of Buhrer playing some hooker. We play most games with 16 these days anyway and its very rarely that the 17th player gets more than 10 minutes unless there has been an injury. I'd like to see Buhrer getting more game time to be honest and I like the idea of giving Ballin a spell to help freshen him up a bit coming into the finals and it would be good to know if Buhrer is capable of filling in at the position incase something happened in a final.

As for Matai, I agree with Daniel and don't think he'd be that effective in the forwards. Putting big shots on like he does is great outwide but what would happen to his performances if he has to do it 30+ times per game? Let alone his dicky shoulder?

Buhrer and T Rex are our utilities. We are actually blessed that we have so many players that can fill positions across the park.
Fb: Hoppa, Robbo
Backs: t Rex, Buhrer and Foran
Halves: Glenn, Buhrer, Lyon

Injuries are an unfortunate common place in football, but we are pretty well covered if we need to shuffle a few people around.

Far too much of a waste to carry an outside back on the bench IMO. A Buhrer type who can kick out wide is the best you are going to get.

Barring injury i think this is the team we will see for the rest of the season

Brett Stewart
Michael Robertson
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
David Williams
Kieran Foran
Daly Cherry-Evans
George Rose
Matt Ballin
Brent Kite
Anthony Watmough
Joe Galuvao
Glenn Stewart

Darcy Lussick
Jamie Buhrer
Shane Rodney
Tony Williams

Basically we've got a whole bench of utillitys

Blake I hope we don't get to the stage where ferris has to play In the halves.

Fonz I think your spot on but with Rodney starting and smokin Joe off the bench

Bhurer played alright in Hooker in under 20's when he needed to

Rodney was very poor last week and needs to lift IMO

Rodney wont be playing first grade if he doesn't lift his performances.

Dan was being kind by saying he was very poor last week. The 29 minutes Des put up with was about 15 longer than he deserved.

Daniel said:

Lol! He had one bad game.....incredible, imagine if his kicks went half way up the jane try stand....I'd say good riddance to....Rodney done 2 things as choc is good for every game....he is a touch out of form though

The Eagle said:
Daniel said:

Lol! He had one bad game.....incredible, imagine if his kicks went half way up the jane try stand....I'd say good riddance to....Rodney done 2 things as choc is good for every game....he is a touch out of form though

actually he has been poor defensively since he came back.

Did you watch the Tigers game?

His issue is very simple, he is very slow to get back into second marker, so gets called offside, and then is slow to get back in the line.

It lead to a try and another break in the tigers game, and very nearly cost us against parra.

considering he has been back for only a handful of games and has had the same glaringly obvious fault in both, i consider that a bigger problem.

Especially when he only has a fairly simple job, catch, run, occasional offload, and tackle.

compare that to what a half has to do.

By the way.. "Rodney done 2 things" is an abomination on the English language and sounds very much like a sentence constructed at the foot of the mountains rather than that of a Manly local.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9uYT90L1k

To be honest I am surprised you were able to construct that sentence.

gee, big wraps on Buhrer? He really hasn't done much for awhile, (much better in 2012) when it gets down to grind it out footy his yardage is like Robbo's , zip. T-Rex, Darcy, Mauro (goes great) and Joe should be the bench.

Rodney seems the golden child so imagine it will be glenn, rodney and choc, george, ballin and kitey. bascks have to be brett, robbo, matai, lyon, wolfie, keiran and dce. pretty good 17!! T-Rex can cover in backline if desperate.

The Eagle said:
To be honest im shocked you can sit with that spoon where it snugly fits

You mean the silver one in my mouth, or have you ruined our language and another saying once again?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6