Ben Barba suspended indefinitely

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Interesting Des was not at the press conference or mentioned really.

TG made it clear it was his decision and knowing how Des liked to support his players you have to ask whether he was in agreement.

Could it be the beginning of the end for the Des-Tod relationship?

Can't wait for the Telecrap to do an article congratulating the Dogs for how they handled the issue etc etc etc rather than digging deeper with some hard hitting journalism (hahaha) on the Dogs.
:)

Daniel said:
If it is as the newspapers are reporting and he is going through issues after the break up of his long term partner I can certainly empathise with him and how that effects the other areas of your life.

That and dealing with a gambling addiction aren't nice things and I wish the kid the best of luck in getting through a difficult time

Agree. However if that is it and nothing more and nothing has hit the public why make a big announcement about it? Why not keep it in house and let him deal with his issues. Surely having this in the media will do more harm than good in his recovery.

This is fishy

Looks like they're moving him aside for a better fullback who is currently unsigned and close to Hasler...

There will be some shocking news out of this!!

Stories may be stories, my experience with Ben Barba at non-official events has been nothing but brilliant.

He spent some time with some indigenous youth at South Narrabeen Surf club in January and he was brilliant with the kids and adults, humble and down to earth.

We saw what happened with Brett and how quickly we forget

I'm not happy that it's happening to Ben Barba..... But I'm ecstatic that it's happening to the Bulldogs.

And there in lies the conspiracy theorey that Des has suspended baba so that he can sneak under our guard and sign snake seeing that we cannot register his contract.

Daniel said:
If it is as the newspapers are reporting and he is going through issues after the break up of his long term partner I can certainly empathise with him and how that effects the other areas of your life.

That and dealing with a gambling addiction aren't nice things and I wish the kid the best of luck in getting through a difficult time
Im with you Daniel,its not easy dealing with stuff like this,so yea I agree

Daniel said:
We saw what happened with Brett and how quickly we forget

Short memories, Dan. That's all I can put it down to.

Aside from the fact that Canterbury are my most hated team, I do think that the situation was handled quite brilliantly by the Club - assuming of course that no further information/allegation comes to light.

In the press conference, T.G. mentioned multiple breaches of their code of conduct, ranging from etiquette to drinking to gambling. A month out of the game, and out of the public spot light to get his life in order is a hell of a lot better for the Bulldogs and for the game more generally then for him to continue on the road to self destruction.

Perhaps I am being too gullible but I think it was a selfless decision by the Bulldogs to stand him down in order for him to get himself mentally right, and all this without the possibility of him being fined by the NRL/police/club in possible future incidents. Plus, it will keep Barber at the Club. T.G. is a great CEO, whether you like him or hate him.

KJEagle said:

TG made it clear it was his decision and knowing how Des liked to support his players you have to ask whether he was in agreement.

Can't wait for the Telecrap to do an article congratulating the Dogs for how they handled the issue etc etc etc rather than digging deeper with some hard hitting journalism (hahaha) on the Dogs.

Ok I wasn't quite a genius in predicting the Telecrap's positive spin on the Bulldog's actions (for what crime exactly?). This is from Rothfield's blog:
"Todd Greenberg is the best CEO in the competition. He knows what he’s doing."
Phil Rothfield
Mon 25 Feb 13 (12:56pm)

"It’s a great decision by the Bulldogs. They’ve put the player’s welfare ahead of two competition points."
Phil Rothfield
Mon 25 Feb 13 (12:55pm)

Gotta laugh.

bones said:
Channel Ten news break reported that Barba has admitted to assaulting his girlfriend.

Ok, well that's a different story altogether, and a much more serious one then I anticipated.

Greenburg was adamant that there were no police issues at hand here, only breaches in the Clubs own code of conduct.

KJEagle said:
KJEagle said:

Ok I wasn't quite a genius in predicting the Telecrap's positive spin on the Bulldog's actions (for what crime exactly?). This is from Rothfield's blog:
Phil Rothfield

"It’s a great decision by the Bulldogs. They’ve put the player’s welfare ahead of two competition points."
Phil Rothfield

Gotta laugh.

What a ****ing joke!!! One could oy imagine the headlines if it were a Manly player...

bones said:
Channel Ten news break reported that Barba has admitted to assaulting his girlfriend.

I feared its another Lui incident - so sad that the defenceless are harmed by the people that they love and depend on :(
Girlfriend, shouldn't she be the Partner as they have a few kids already?

PS. The NRL have to stop the 'Face of League' caper, as its a Team Sport and undue focus on an individual is harmful.

1:32 Here we go. Todd Greenberg, Bulldogs CEO about to address media.
Monday February 25, 2013 1:32
1:33 "I'm asking you to step back for a second because we are dealing with a very private matter in a very public way"
Monday February 25, 2013 1:33
1:33 One of our own is really struggling at the moment... that is Ben Barba.
1:33 "Ben needs help. He needs professional help."
1:34 "We have made the conscious decision to take Ben out of football and out of the spotlight."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:34
1:34 "As a club and as a game we need to focus on Ben Barba the person and not Ben Barba the player."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:34
1:35 "He'll need your understanding and patience while he takes the time and space needed to become a better man."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:35
1:35 [Comment From Jacob Jacob: ]
Will the NRL ever find a face/poster boy that can handle himself on and off the field?

Monday February 25, 2013 1:35 Jacob
1:35 "He has a lot of hard work to make it happen."
1:35 Suspended indefinitely, as said in statement earlier today.
1:36 Greenberg says he does not want to address specific issues, but mentions breakdown of a relationship.
Monday February 25, 2013 1:36
1:37 Says he is dealing with issues that go back to when he was a young boy.
Monday February 25, 2013 1:37
1:38 "Ben has lost his way and we need to help him find his way back."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:38
1:38 [Comment From mitch mitch: ]
just get it out already greenberg and stop trying to sugarcoat it

Monday February 25, 2013 1:38 mitch
1:38 [Comment From Ben Ben: ]
This is giving us more questions than answers

Monday February 25, 2013 1:38 Ben
1:38 [Comment From Jodi Jodi: ]
Wishing Ben all the best and hope he returns to the game soon, a stronger person

Monday February 25, 2013 1:38 Jodi
1:38 "He is not ready to play football. He needs help."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:38
1:39 Greenberg said issue became serious over the weekend not because of a specific incident but because of a manifestation of issues over a period of time.
Monday February 25, 2013 1:39
1:40 "Over the last week or so I saw some signs that worried me and we had to get on the front foot with him" so the situation didn't get more serious.
Monday February 25, 2013 1:40
1:41 "Ben's at a point where football is the last thing on his mind."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:41
1:41 "If he can come out of this a better person I have no doubt he'll come out a better footballer as well."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:41
1:42 "He has breached the club's code of conduct and for that he has paid a heavy price."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:42
1:43 "If I put all the cards on the table it will help you (the media) but it will not help me and it will not help Ben."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:43
1:44 Greenberg says Barba is finding it very hard to come to terms with the break up of a long-term relationship with his "childhood sweetheart".
Monday February 25, 2013 1:44
1:44 [Comment From Maddie Maddie: ]
How is breaking the clubs code of contuct a personal issue. Just tell us

Monday February 25, 2013 1:44 Maddie
1:44 [Comment From hurt feelings hurt feelings: ]
seriously, barba needs to fess up and admit what he did wrong, apoligise and try to rectify the problem. not send greenberg out to do the old smoke and mirrors trick

Monday February 25, 2013 1:44 hurt feelings
1:45 [Comment From Justin Justin: ]
Hope ya get well soon Benny, A State of Origin jumper will cheer you up

Monday February 25, 2013 1:45 Justin
1:45 "I'm not going to go into the some of the professional help he needs."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:45
1:46 Greenberg says Barba told Greenberg yesterday that he needed help and asked for it.
Monday February 25, 2013 1:46
1:46 "He will not be playing when we open the season and we're disappointed about that. But we need to address the situation."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:46
1:48 [Comment From Me Me: ]
The doggies are saying he broke the clubs code of conduct how is a split from a girlfriend a breach of conduct

Monday February 25, 2013 1:48 Me
1:48 "If he helps himself he'll be a Bulldogs player for a long time but he needs to help himself."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:48
1:49 "Terminating his contract doesn't help him."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:49
1:49 "He needs to help himself. If he doesn't take that step up, he won't play."
Monday February 25, 2013 1:49
1:50 That's it. No more questions. Greenberg said one of the options could have been to sack Ben Barba but it was not in his best interests because it "would not help him".
Monday February 25, 2013 1:50
1:51 [Comment From DAZ 442 DAZ 442: ]
Great Press Conference Todd. Best CEO in the NRL

Monday February 25, 2013 1:51 DAZ 442
1:51 [Comment From Doggie for Life Doggie for Life: ]
I would like that CEO on my side, well done Todd

Monday February 25, 2013 1:51 Doggie for Life
1:51 [Comment From Ray Ray: ]
They may as well provide more information otherwise the speculation will never end

strone33 said:
KJEagle said:
KJEagle said:

Phil Rothfield

Phil Rothfield

Gotta laugh.

What a f**king joke!!! One could oy imagine the headlines if it were a Manly player...

Yes, it's safe to say that the two "journos" would not be so supportive to a Manly CEO in similar circumstances, but I can't say I disagree with any of those quotes. He is the best CEO in the game, hands down. So much so that he sneared one of our favourite sons (who, let's not forget iniitally wanted to stay here).

Slothfield at it again, from his blog:

"
It’s obviously hard to be a superstar. That’s what my column will be about tomorrow. Hayne, Marshall, Inglis, Stewart, Johns - they’ve all had issues and overcome them. "

What a fu*ing joke! Brett Stewart had no issues until a con man and his daughter made up BS about Brett and then gallop, slothfield and all the rest of the media hung him out to dry!.

For a guy with all these so-called problems, it didn't seem to interfere with his ability to play RL.

What are all these comparisons (Rothfield & posters here) to Bretts case about ?

Two completely different cases with completely different sets of circumstances with completely different reactions by media & fans.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6