Ben Barba suspended indefinitely

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
swoop said:
Since when was gambling banned and a suspendable offence?
I guess it depends what he was gambling on. If he backed Melbourne to win last years GF he'd be in a bit of trouble. Come to think of it the way the Bulldogs played in the GF I would'nt be surprised if the whole team had a big plonk on Melbourne:laugh:

not a chance. You don't suspend a player indefinitely if they have personal issues and need time away from the game to come back a better person.

he's done something, but all the best to him getting back on track.

Chip and Chase said:
bones said:
It's a muggy day today. I might go and put on my blue singlet, the type typically worn by truckies.

You think that's why ??

I would have thought this selection of attire fit the weather as described.

Moondog said:
swoop said:
I guess it depends what he was gambling on. If he backed Melbourne to win last years GF he'd be in a bit of trouble. Come to think of it the way the Bulldogs played in the GF I would'nt be surprised if the whole team had a big plonk on Melbourne:laugh:

Maybe he was blackmailed into scoring heaps of tries last year??

the term 'suspended indefinitely' is weird. these clubs go over press releases word by word, often with legal advice, so its not something you can blame an oversight on.

the second you use those words suspended indefinitely and stood down, you know the media is going to run absolutely wild as are the fans. it's hanging the guy out to dry in effect when you say that.

if it was just personal issues or something relatively minor, why not come out with
"today ben has come to the club seeking some time out from his duties due to personal issues, the club has granted his request and will support him 100%, we ask media to respect his privacy at this time and we will make no further comment until appropriate"

you will still get a bit of a media storm, but surely not as crazy as what has happened.
by using those words, there must be a bit more to it all.

Blowfly said:
Jatz Crackers said:
Blowfly said:
C'mon guys...I hate Canterbury as much as anyone but let's show some class that wasn't afforded to Manly and Brett.

We are bigger than that and shouldn't speculate as we didn't like it done to us.

First and foremost I hope Barba is ok and sorts out his problems asap.

Football is secondary in such matters and I for one wish him all the best in sorting his issues.

GO MANLY!

Massive difference between the 2 issues.

Don't care how big the difference is...are you saying we have every right to take shots at the bloke because we felt harshly treated at how Brett was dealt with?

I was as furious as anyone with how Brett was treated but that doesn't give us a free swing at Barba.

He's a human being and his health and well being are priority. Our speculation and snickering does nothing but put us on the same level as those who attacked Brett.

Brett Stewart was unwillingly profiled publicly & flogged in the media and assumed guilty of breaching an extremely serious law, with one of the outcomes being the loss of his freedom. All this done publicly. That is just one massive difference between the two cases.

I am not taking a free swing at Barba and nor am I speculating or snickering. I am saying that in this case Ben Barba has (apparently) willingly made this issue public himself and that has made the topic open for discussion.

Without any malice whatsoever, Barbas health & well being is not my priority and I doubt it is a priority for anyone here.

Why did they bother as the suspension is a nothing more than a sham as according to these comments in the SMH there is little doubt that he will be back by round 1.

Barba’s manager Gavin Orr maintained that the suspension could be lifted within weeks. He said he and Barba supported the club’s actions.

Barba’s manager Gavin Orr maintained that the suspension could be lifted within weeks. He said he and Barba supported the club’s actions.

‘‘He’s identified that he’s struggling with a few issues with his family,’’ Orr said. ‘‘He wants a bit of private time to deal with those issues. I hope he’ll be back in a week or two

Shoe1 said:
Moondog said:
swoop said:

Maybe he was blackmailed into scoring heaps of tries last year??
You don't mean the Dessie, Benny, Toddy love triangle? Surely nobody would threaten to reveal that.....oops...

Jatz Crackers said:
Blowfly said:
Jatz Crackers said:
Blowfly said:
C'mon guys...I hate Canterbury as much as anyone but let's show some class that wasn't afforded to Manly and Brett.

We are bigger than that and shouldn't speculate as we didn't like it done to us.

First and foremost I hope Barba is ok and sorts out his problems asap.

Football is secondary in such matters and I for one wish him all the best in sorting his issues.

GO MANLY!

Massive difference between the 2 issues.

Don't care how big the difference is...are you saying we have every right to take shots at the bloke because we felt harshly treated at how Brett was dealt with?

I was as furious as anyone with how Brett was treated but that doesn't give us a free swing at Barba.

He's a human being and his health and well being are priority. Our speculation and snickering does nothing but put us on the same level as those who attacked Brett.

Brett Stewart was unwillingly profiled publicly & flogged in the media and assumed guilty of breaching an extremely serious law, with one of the outcomes being the loss of his freedom. All this done publicly. That is just one massive difference between the two cases.

I am not taking a free swing at Barba and nor am I speculating or snickering. I am saying that in this case Ben Barba has (apparently) willingly made this issue public himself and that has made the topic open for discussion.

Without any malice whatsoever, Barbas health & well being is not my priority and I doubt it is a priority for anyone here.

Come on guys lets all be Manly and not act like rabbid-Dogs. Let's take the high moral ground.

All the best in your life Barba. Hope you get better soon.

I see a conspiracy theory here. Why did they announce this if they weren't prepared to charge anyone or name offences. Until I see proof, this is just scurrilous muckraking.

Where are all of the politicians now??????

If it is as the newspapers are reporting and he is going through issues after the break up of his long term partner I can certainly empathise with him and how that effects the other areas of your life.

That and dealing with a gambling addiction aren't nice things and I wish the kid the best of luck in getting through a difficult time

Mal Cochrane said:
not a chance. You don't suspend a player indefinitely if they have personal issues and need time away from the game to come back a better person.

he's done something, but all the best to him getting back on track.
What ever he has done sooner or later it will all come out like dog **** in the back yard . I dont take any pleasure out of what has happened to Barba but i dont really give a **** either. All i care is about the Mighty Sea eagles !!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
Given recent announcements I just wonder do we have our first high profile casualty??

Nah. There has been stories out of Mackay for a couple of years now about his behaviour. Not difficult to see his elevation blinding him to his faults until they overtook him as a person.

It's just better for him to disappear now and sort it out, rather than let football act a distraction and potentially make his behaviour worse.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7