Bell's deal quest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Bell's deal quest
Jason Avedissian

1 April 2008

Off-contract Sea Eagle Steve Bell is putting out feelers for offers.

SEA Eagles management will not stop Origin centre Steven Bell from pursuing a rich deal in Europe at the end of the season.

The off-contract 31-year-old has attracted interest from Super League French club Les Catalans.

Bell is among five key Manly NRL players off contract.

It is believed Manly is keen to add one or two young halves to their roster for the 2009 season.

Manly boss Grant Mayer would not elaborate on Bell's future when contacted last night ahead of the Sea Eagles round three clash with the Warriors at Brookvale Oval.

"He's been a loyal and important player for the club and it's all a work in progress," Mayer said.

Bell, who is in his third season at Brookvale after joining the Sea Eagles from the Storm at the end of the 2005 season, said on the weekend he enjoys Manly but would consider offers abroad.

"I'm not ruling anything out at the moment in terms of looking at options overseas," he said.

"I'm happy at Manly, it's a great place and I'd like to stay, but I have to look after my family too.

"I haven't spoken to them (Manly) yet so I'll have to wait and see.

"As the season goes on, I'll get a fair idea of what I want to do."

Veteran Steve Menzies is likely to retire at the end of the year despite recently suggesting he could push on for one more year.

Other off-contract Sea Eagles include Matt Ballin, Michael Bani and Mark Bryant.

Mayer did confirm the club may be forced to look at second tier players for next year after missing out recently on Raiders half Todd Carney.

"There's not enough quality players available at the moment," Mayer said.

It is understood the Sea Eagles are seeking off-contract halves in the mould of South Sydney's Eddie Paea and Melbourne's Russell Aitken, players who can fill various positions in the halves.

Bell and Bryant will be no great loss.

If the club has smarts we should sign Ballin and Bani now before they have the opportunity to impress and attract too many other offers.  Though the rumour is that Ballin wants to do a Folau and return to SEQ to be closer to family.  Titans expected to be his new home *if* we lose him.

We're still consistently being linked with Topou.  I reckon he'd make a better centre than Bell!

It's silly for him to leave Manly (Ballin), I highly doubt he'd get a start over Nathan Friend at the Titans.

EDIT: I know the family card would be very enticing, but he came to Manly in the first place to earn a first grade spot - now he's got one, I'd be surprised if he gave that away to play most of the year in QLD Cup behind Friend.

hmm possibly, though Fiend is starting to get on isn't he, and he has never been massively impressive. The only time I liked him was when our other choice was Randall.

I would say we may just lose him to there, which will be ashame

Friend?  He's hardly set the world on fire and is long in the tooth.  The Titans have wanted Ballin for years.  The only hold we have on him is his business, but if his career takes off he won't have time for that anyway.

Here's one to ponder.  If Cameron Smith and Aaron Payne were to get injured, who would Queensland play at hooker?  Fien, Witt???

Friend goes alright and he's 26-27, not that old.

As for QLD, PJ Marsh would be third choice, playing very well for Brisbane.

Bell and Bryant can go where they like, sign the other two up ASAP, especially Bani, if his improvement continues he'll get more offers than all four of them.

honestly Bell has done the job we needed from him, i hope he can now go to ESL and set himself up for life.

Lyon proved he was a centre last nite i would be more than comfortable to see lyon and matai in the centres.

I also see this switch the 5/8 extending beavers career atleast one more season. He was great last nite.

fien has done it before, PJ Marsh is another option, especially now he is at Brisbane.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Anthony Tupou replace Mark Bryant.

And just to throw it out their, Matt Cooper is tipped to leave the Dragons at the end of the year.

Matai to replace beaver at lock.

1. Stewart
2. Robbo
3. Cooper
4. Lyon
5. Bani
6. ?
7. Orford
8. King
9. Ballin
10. Kite
11. Watmough
12. Tupou
13. Matai

14. Stewart
15. Cuthbo
16. Perry
17. LeStrange

Sry Rhino... ;)

Break our team down for 2009:-

Fullback - we have Stewart (Vaeliki as back up)

Wingers - we have Robertson, and should re-sign Bani. Bani is a little above average in my opinion, but not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination. Re-sign him NOW, BEFORE he DOES set the world on fire. (Williams & Koala are our real back ups here)

Centres - we will have Matai & Lyon. (We have Neumann, Vaeliki, Williams who can all play back up)

Halves - we have Orford & no-one really as a 5/8. If this is Beavers last year, we are in serious trouble in this position. (We have Halden & Foran as back ups)

Hooker - we should re-sign Ballin early. Le'Strange was pretty good coming off the bench last night, so I'd retain him as a utility type player.

Props - we need 6 props as a core group in my opinion. 4 that play (2 on bench, 2 starters), and 2 back ups. For me, the 6 we need are Kite, King, Perry, Cuthbertson, Hall & Rose. I reckon we should or could release Bryant.

Back row - Like props, we need 6. 3 to start, 1 on the bench. I consider that Beaver will retire at seasons end. The six we need in my opinion is Watmough, Topou, G. Stewart, Hall, Afamasaga, Weara-Hargreaves. I'd say Willow may be playing in the UK.

All up, we'd have a pretty damned good team. The obvious deficiency here is 5/8. We could give Wells a few shots at it in a Steve Menzies type mould....worked last night, as Wells has played lots of 5/8.

The other concern is Orfords age. I think the club is hoping Foran develops in the next 3 years, and he might replace Orford. I saw Foran's brother play for Melbourne in the # 7 jersey I think it was, and he looked pretty damned good when they were coming back against The Roosters. Apparently our boy has all the talent though.

I'm going to suggest a 5/8 here, that I think Manly should go completely after:-

Tim Moltzen

He will be a gun. Junior Kangaroo I know, but if we can snare him !! Alternatively, with Farrah @ The Tigers having a mortgage on Hooker, The Tigers have Morris / Head / Marshall / Moltzen all capable of playing 5/8. 2 of them will be playing reggies, so I say give one of them a shot here in 1st grade, and they'll want out of The Tigers.

Moltzen will be a gun.

Ryan, you come up with some pearlers mate but Vaeliki at fullback is one of your best. He would be the slowest fullback in the history of NRL.

He shouldnt even be considered as a back up centre, let alone fullback.

26/11/2007 - By Manly Sea Eagles

The Sea Eagles are proud to announce the signing of David Vaealiki to a one year deal.

Vaealiki comes to the Sea Eagles after spending 3 years with the Wigan Warriors. He is a New Zealand junior who has played seven tests for his country and also played in the 2000 Rugby League World Cup.  His NRL debut was with the Parramatta Eels in 1999 and played 93 games for the club including a Grand Final appearance in 2001.

Vaealiki usually plays in the centres but has also played fullback for both the Wigan Warriors and New Zealand.

David and his family have recently moved to the area and we would like to welcome them to the Sea Eagles.

New Zealand Test selector Darrell Williams was surprised to learn of Vaealiki's return to the NRL, but said the ex-Eel would definitely be considered for selection next season.

``If he shows form, he's as good a chance as anyone,'' Williams said. ``When he played fullback for us a number of years ago he did the job. He's a good player. I'll keep an eye on him during the year.''

I agree with you definitely, but Manly said he could play fullback when we bought him. That's the reason I included him there is all.

I didn't come up with it.

I like you personally think Cuthbo on the wing would go better ! Hehehe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4