Belief, not arrogance, driving Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ShakeySeaEagle

Reserve Grader
Could someone paste this subscriber only article from the DT for me please? Its rare but this appears to be an article that is actually positive about us in the Tele!

Manly Sea Eagles’ push for NRL finals driven by club’s winning mentality and self-belief
  • DEAN RITCHIE
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • JULY 19, 2015 5:27PM

IT’s not being cocky, arrogant or smug. Just an inner-confidence that resonates throughout a club that has demanded and achieved long-term success.

Manly don’t boast; they just win.

They know how to win under pressure. They know when the time is right. They thrive on a winning culture. They never doubt.

And that is why this Manly side think they can make the finals — and then do some damage.

“We are under no illusions how hard it will be to make the finals but if ever there was a squad in the NRL that has been assembled, then it’s ours right now,” said Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans said. “We have a wealth of experience in our squad.”

065077-d69b10e6-2de6-11e5-a7c2-8f56938fe831.jpg

Daly Cherry-Evans said the Sea Eagles belief they can still make the finals.

The Sea Eagles are still outside the top eight and have a tough run home, starting with high-flying North Queensland this Monday night at Brookvale Oval.

But a decade of playing semi-final football — and a thumping 38-6 win over Gold Coast last Monday evening — has Manly dreaming again of September success.

“There is a lot of belief in this side,” said Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran. “We do have a lot of experienced players. We certainly don’t see it as out-of-reach at the moment.

“It would be great to notch up as many wins as we can and make a real charge for the finals.

“We have been working really hard all year and we deserve to be going better than what we have been showing.

“Hopefully things can click into gear and we can make a real go of it. There are eight round games to go and we can only afford to drop one or two games.”

Manly fullback Brett Stewart knows the difficult path that awaits.

“It’s a big challenge,” he said. “We’re not shying away from the fact that we have made it hard for ourselves.

“We have a bunch of players here that are very competitive and we will definitely give it a shake.

“We just have to keep winning, as simple as that. We need to find ways to win.”

Newcomer Willie Mason spoke about how Manly has that strong, inner self-belief.

“There are high standards here,” said Mason. “We are getting better as a team and unit every week. Hopefully we can keep climbing and don’t regress.

“It’s a good feeling. We just quietly get on with our job. We train, we go home, we come back and train. Get in and do your job.

“Anyone who gets in the top eight can win. It has been proven all year that anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

“We are all jostling for positions. You will see the level of playing and defence really step-up in the next two months.

“There is no easy run for anyone. I don’t even think there is that much of a bonus finishing in the top four because of the new system.”

Manly skipper Jamie Lyon added: “We have to win — there’s no easy way around it.”

I'm now certain we will lose tonight and we will miss the finals.

STFU and just do it. We have won 2 weeks in a row against sh1t opposition and now we are world beaters. Seriously, these sorts of story's previously came out of souffs just before their usual end of season crash and burn. Anyone notice how quiet they were last season before their run started. Well they have been quiet again this season and may well start another late run.

I don't want to hear any of our players talk about it, I just want to see them start winning and against quality opposition, starting tonight!!!!!!!!

Rant over, hit me with the dummy spits as much as you want.

I'm now certain we will lose tonight and we will miss the finals.

STFU and just do it. We have won 2 weeks in a row against sh1t opposition and now we are world beaters. Seriously, these sorts of story's previously came out of souffs just before their usual end of season crash and burn. Anyone notice how quiet they were last season before their run started. Well they have been quiet again this season and may well start another late run.

I don't want to hear any of our players talk about it, I just want to see them start winning and against quality opposition, starting tonight!!!!!!!!

Rant over, hit me with the dummy spits as much as you want.

I'd give you a half agree if it was available Ralphie. Don't know about tonight's prediction from you but definitely prefer to stay under the radar and walk the walk not talk the talk.

Where's @mickqld to add some balance?? :D

It's good to see DCE using "us" and "we" and "team" rather than "I" and "me" etc. It seems to me he's bought into the fact that whilst there's no "I" in team, there is a "U* in c*nt!!

I'm waiting for a team or player to come out one time and say, ' we've got no chance, but were just going to do our best anyway'.

Mason using the word "regress" was the stand out of the article for me. Don't hear footy players using it enough (at all) hehe.

Thought it might have been an edit for the original quote of "don't f**k up" but then saw the article was written by Dean Ritchie and his IQ would be well below your average rugby league player.

Agree though, these positive articles come at times where we have some momentum and then unravel like we did last season. Seeing as i don't care for what the media say i would prefer the negative articles where Manly prove them all wrong.

Mason using the word "regress" was the stand out of the article for me. Don't hear footy players using it enough (at all) hehe.

Thought it might have been an edit for the original quote of "don't f**k up" but then saw the article was written by Dean Ritchie and his IQ would be well below your average rugby league player.

Agree though, these positive articles come at times where we have some momentum and then unravel like we did last season. Seeing as i don't care for what the media say i would prefer the negative articles where Manly prove them all wrong.
Mason is surprisingly well spoken...for a front rower!!

Good story around Potato and young Polynesians too. Plus Potato says he hasn't been tapped on the shoulder...

In a lot of ways the pressure is off the players. Most pundits have written them off and for the first time this season there is a focus from the team free of all the distractions from earlier this season. The old cliche, one game at a time is how it should be approached, Manly know they can beat the cowpokes tonight but it will require a better performance than last week. We then have a fired up warriors waiting for us after yesterdays heavy loss. No need to get ahead of ourselves, I think though if we do not make it we will have a say in what teams play in what position as we play most of the would be finalists in the run in.

For mine the Forwards are the key, if they do their job Snake and DCE will take advantage. My issue is i don't think we have the forwards to match the top teams this year.

For mine the Forwards are the key, if they do their job Snake and DCE will take advantage. My issue is i don't think we have the forwards to match the top teams this year.

Initially I thought that. But then I've noticed in quite a few games, our halves 5th tackle options in the red zone have been shockers ( in particular Foran). Failing to get points, repeat sets - just straight handovers to the opposition.

It's good to see DCE using "us" and "we" and "team" rather than "I" and "me" etc. It seems to me he's bought into the fact that whilst there's no "I" in team, there is a "U* in c*nt!!

But there is:
i-found-the-i-in-team-t-shirt-13449.jpg

Woops, it looks like I should have read the entire thread before posting as cherry_poppins had already posted a similar picture
icon_rolleyes.gif

Last edited:

No need for the doomsday posts this year. They're more than capable of delivering enough sht performances to meet my predictions. Just a miserable, lame limp dicked performance from a truly sht forward pack and some past it backs.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6