Beijing Medal Tally Updates

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Aussies in Action

Day 9 (Sunday August 17)

all times Beijing time (add 2 hours)

ATHLETICS
7:30: Women's Marathon – Benita Johnson, Kate Smyth and Lisa Jane Weightman.

19:00: Women's 100m Hurdles Rd1 – Sally McLellan.

BASKETBALL
11:15: Women's Prelim Australia v Russia

BEACH VOLLEYBALL
21:00: Women's Quarterfinal – Natalie Cook and Tamsin Barnett v Brazil.

CYCLING - TRACK
10:00: Men's Team Pursuit Qualifying – Jack Bobridge, Graeme Brown, Mark Jamieson, Brett Lancaster, Brad McGee and Luke Roberts.

11:05: Women's Sprint Qualifying Round (200m) – Anna Meares.

11:20: Men's Sprint Qualifying Round (200m) – Ryan Bayley, Mark French. 17:05: Women's 3000m Individual Pursuit – TBA.

DIVING
20:30: Women's 3m Springboard Final – TBA.

EQUESTRIAN
19:15: Team Jumping Final Rd1 - Edwina Alexander, Laurie Lever, Peter McMahon, Matthew Williams.

19:15: Individual Jumping 2nd Qualifier – Edwina Alexander, Laurie Lever, Peter McMahon, Matthew Williams

HOCKEY
20:30: Australia v Netherlands

ROWING
16:30: Women's Quadruple Sculls Final A – Amber Bradley, Amy Ives, Zoe Uphill and Kerry Hore.

16:50: Men's Quadruple Sculls Final A – David Noonan, James McRae, Christopher Morgan and Brendan Long.

17:10: Women's Eight Final A – Natalie Bale, Sarah Heard, Sally Kehoe, Brooke Pratley, Elizabeth Kell, Kate Hornsey, Pauline Frasca, Elizabeth Patrick, Sarah Tait.

17:30: Men's Eight Final A – Jeremy Stevenson, James Chapman, Thomas Laurich, Samuel Loch, Marty Rabjohns, Stephen Stewart, James Tomkins, Sam Conrad, David Dennis

SAILING
From 15:00: Skiff Dinghy-49er Medal Race – Ben Austin and Nathan Outteridge.
From 12:00: Men's One Person Dinghy-Laser – Tom Slingsby.

From 12:00: Women's One Person Dinghy-Laser Radial – Sarah Blanck.

From 13:00: Multihull Tornado – Glenn Ashby and Darren Bundock.

From 13:00: Men's Keelboat Star – Iain Murray and Andrew Palfry.

SHOOTING
9:00: Men's 50m Rifle 3 Positions Qualification – Ben Burge; Matthew Inabinet.

SOFTBALL
17:00: Australia v Canada

SWIMMING
10:00: Women's 50m Freestyle final – Cate Campbell; Libby Trickett. 10:06: Men's 1500m Freestyle final – Grant Hackett.

10:37: Women's 4x100m Medley Relay Final – TBA.

10:55: Men's 4x100m Medley Relay Final – TBA.

WATER POLO
14:20: Women's Quarterfinals – Australia v China

http://www.olympics.com.au/TheTeam/AussiesinAction/tabid/362/Default.aspx?Link=362&

Was a sensational night last night, 2 Golds, 1 Silver and 2 Bronzes, and also a 19-0 win over the Boks. Then to top it off watching the freak that is Usain Bolt, imagine him on the wing at Brookie !!!

Prob wasnt shown in Oz, but 1 of the efforts was inspirational, never been so proud of a Bronze

Drysdale has been a World Rowing champ for 3 years straight, but come down with something the past week which has destroyed him, going at both ends, lost 4kg and was on a drip prior to the race. Anyway he leads with 200m to go but runs out of puff to come in 3rd. He is then unable to row in, so they put him on a boat, he just slumps over the side vomiting, gets to the dock and they drop him off where he just collapses, and is unconsious in the medical tents. Needed help to make it to the medal ceremony but got there

I was cheering for that Kiwi bronze KE.
Bolt was awesome. I can't believe he didn't try and get 9.60.
I have loved the swimming. Coventry's Gold was really well deserved. I don't know whether Hoff (US) got a gold but she is a champ too. Highlight so far for me was the 4 girl aussie gold - little McKenzie's last leg was huge.
Those hockey women are great to watch, and the game is not bad either.

I am sure the world would love to see Bolt run a full 100m MB, he could do anything, may even have a 9.5 in him. Love the laidback attitude, all the other  blokes are serious before the start and he is joking round with the camera

Yep looking forward to the final day of the swimming too, has been good to watch, i still can't figure out how Phelps hand beat the Serb hand

The Womens Volleyball is well worth a look as well, some of them are very, very tidy

Bolt's 100M was astonishing.  It's just a shame that such a quick rise is inevitably greeted with skepticism.  Even my 7 year old watching it this morning commented - I bet he gets caught for drugs.

The refereeing in the Tri-Nations was diabolical.  One of the ref's arms must have fallen off.  I'd love to find out where he lives.

Swimming

Women's 4x100m Medley Relay
Australia GOLD
Emily Seebohm, Leisel Jones, Jessicah Schipper, Lisbeth Trickett

Current tally
GOLD 8
SILVER 9
BRONZE 11

TOTAL 28

Swimming

Men's 4x100m Medley Relay
Australia SILVER
Hayden Stoeckel, Brenton Rickard, Andrew Lauterstein, Eamon Sullivan

Current tally
GOLD 8
SILVER 10
BRONZE 11

TOTAL 29

Usain was insane. To run sub 9.7 while showboating on the line is unbelievable. He is in a class of his own. To think that sprinters don't peak till early 30's, it's scary what he will be capable of. Could win 2 more Olympic gold.

By the way, is anyone else disappointed with the amount of World Records that have been set in the pool. It is so blatantly obvious that it is because of the suits that it is hard to get excited about it. It is detracting from the contest in my opinion and it cheapens the efforts of past champions I reckon. It's ridiculous when they are smashing world records by multiple seconds rather than 100ths or 10ths of seconds.

I agree C and C. Records were just smashed and it is clear that the suits were a big part of this. Hard to get over-excited when it happens in every race.

There are a lot of other advances since the last Olympics, not just the suits:

Deeper pool (less bounce back off the floor).
Lane ropes stop a lot of the wash (Duncan Armstrong could not surf in Biondi's wake as he did in 1988 - though Torres tried hard with Lenton yesterday).
A lot of technical work has gone into improving starts and turns. 
The pool also has 10 lanes, not 8 so there is less wash off the wall.

It's interesting to see Spitz winning the 200M fresstyle in 1920 in just over 2 minutes.  No cap even.  He wouldn't qualify for the Olympics with that time now.  But how would he go in a suit and with the ability to train fulltime???

Make that 1972

Zimbabwean Dzingai finished first in his heat of the 200M slowing down.  I can't see him beating Bolt but he has to be a medal chance.

Matabele link said:

Lane ropes stop a lot of the wash (Duncan Armstrong could not surf in Biondi's wake as he did in 1988 - though Torres tried hard with Lenton yesterday).

It's interesting to see Spitz winning the 200M fresstyle in 1920 in just over 2 minutes.  No cap even.  He wouldn't qualify for the Olympics with that time now.  But how would he go in a suit and with the ability to train fulltime???

A lot of this pool technology has been around for a while so I doubt it has as big an impact on times. Since the Speedo suit was ratified by FINA earlier this year over 50 World Records have been broken. Obviously not all of these were swum in the "fast" pool at Beijing so it's unlikely to be anything to do with pool technology.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CPC have upped the salt content of the water in the pool to get a bit of Dead Sea bouyancy action going on though. Anything to bring glory to this great nation.

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178127.msg193868#msg193868 date=1219014893]

A lot of this pool technology has been around for a while so I doubt it has as big an impact on times. Since the Speedo suit was ratified by FINA earlier this year over 50 World Records have been broken. Obviously not all of these were swum in the "fast" pool at Beijing so it's unlikely to be anything to do with pool technology.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CPC have upped the salt content of the water in the pool to get a bit of Dead Sea bouyancy action going on though. Anything to bring glory to this great nation.

[/quote]

There were 62 World records broken in 1974

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4