Beck and Buzz

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

kingyfan

Reserve Grader
Stated today that Mason will be a sea eagle this year.  

Either they have done some fantastic investigative journalism or they have been spending too much time reading this site.  

I doubt that we could fit him in the side anyway.

The thing that amazes me is that Ox was going to get $300K this year then all of a sudden we have  fully spent the cap.

Rumour is that if he goes to another club they may only have to pay $40-$50k to sign him for this season as the rorters may have to pay out the rest of his contract.

We would be silly not to pick him up if we could get him for that price.  Also he looks a bit like Tony Iro so Lowey might sign him up just for that fact alone.

The hotels in Manly are pushing Des and Graham to sign him urgently as they need to extra trade that he would bring with him.

If it happens you can strike it up as the first dumb move by our new CEO, unless there are other howlers already that we're yet to hear about.

Matabele link said:
If it happens you can strike it up as the first dumb move by our new CEO, unless there are other howlers already that we're yet to hear about.

If he does sign with us it will be Dessie's choice. 

I agree, the risk too high. It could pay off, if anyone could sort him out it might be Des.  However I would not be pushing for his signing. 

kingyfan link said:
Rumour is that if he goes to another club they may only have to pay $40-$50k to sign him for this season as the rorters may have to pay out the rest of his contract.

It's closer to 150k. His contract at the Roosters is near 400k, and I think the numbers that have been mentioned are about half of his Roosters contract. At this stage I think they'd probably give him away for 150k and wear the extra 250k, that's how little they want him.

If we could get him for 150k I'd be absolutely pumped. At his best, he's one of the best forwards in the comp. I know he was sh*t this year, but he was coming back from major injury in a team that was absolutely diabolical. He'd be great for us (especially when our pack lacked grunt a LOT this year).

Jatz Crackers link said:
Theres a good reason why each & every other NRL club has declined to take on the willy.

He's being shopped around well after the time when every club has finished their rosters and spend their last cent. We're in unique position becuase of Ox (unless we've done some fancy work with the books to restructure contracts....or 250k has suddenly disappeared).

And not everyone wanted to brush him - Bellyache and the Melbourne leadership group were keen to play alongside him, but the board veto'd it. That suggests to me that from a footballing perspective alone he'd be a f*cking steal at 150k.

Totally agree with the 1st part in that he could inject some grunt.

Disagree on the second part though, as Mason has created so much division wherever he goes that its come to this. How much is some grunt versus destabilisation worth.

Of course if he was cheap and we cut him loose aswell is it worth the risk ? Im just not sure on that count but im leaning towards no.

You have got to think he would have a point to prove where ever he ends up.....

lsz link said:
You have got to think he would have a point to prove where ever he ends up.....
Not so sure about that aspect. He's won premierships, played Origin & Tests, and he is on a fat contract regardless of whether or not he plays well. He would have some pride but I doubt he would be the most highly motivated player in a team. I thought he was more interested in a boxing match or making a motza at rugby these days.

Matabele link said:

More like the most idiotic move by our CEO.

I can't see Wee Willie being a team player. The guy is more toxic than Anthrax.

At least the local business in the area will get their walls washed down for free when Wee Willie is about  ;D

To be fair on Lowe I think it would be Des/Crusher who make the call on player comings & goings.

One major obstacle to us signing Willie has been overcome in recent years- the Bank's in manly have now made their ATM's piss proof and they now also have plastic notes so we wouldn't need to worry about getting soggy cash out of the ATM's on weekends after Willie had been out drinking on a Friday night.

However the biggest problem is that he would be months behind everyone else in fitness.  maybe if we signed him last October and he had a full offseason training under des I could accept signing him but he would now take half a season to get back to fitness.  

He's still good.  If he's cheap enough, then sign him for a season.  Get rid of him at the end of the year when he becomes a free agent and therefore expensive if he's been problematic

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4