Beaver to 5/8 - Thank you Des...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

KaZa

Bencher
Beaver to the rescue at pivot
Jason Avedissian

29 March 2008

THE future of Manly back Jamie Lyon in the Sea Eagles contentious no. 6 jumper appears under a cloud with veteran great Steve Menzies set to take up the position against the Warriors at Brookvale Oval on Monday night.

Menzies is likely to play pivot with Lyon moving to the centres to cover for the injured David Vaealiki who is out with a knee injury.

The veteran backrower said he is prepared to play wherever coach Des Hasler picked him as the Sea Eagles search for a long-term solution in the position.

"If someone gets injured, I'm happy to come off the bench and play any role," Menzies said yesterday.

With Menzies a likely starter at five-eighth, debate continues on the best position to house Lyon. Ex-Queensland and Australian five-eighth Ben Ikin said Lyon is suited to playing in the centres where he can be more effective as a ball runner.

"He's a better centre than a five-eighth," Ikin told The Manly Daily.

"Des would have a better feel for him than me and he obviously thinks he has the capabilities to play there otherwise he wouldn't persist with him. I feel he is struggling to find his way at six."

Ikin explained that the absence of hooker Michael Monaghan meant the attacking burden was falling on Lyon and captain Matt Orford.

"Orford's game was complemented so well by Michael Monaghan who was creative," Ikin said.

NSW and Australian selector Bob McCarthy simply said of Lyon:

"He's (Lyon) a Test centre isn't he?"

Ex-Manly five-eighth Cliffy Lyons said the Orford/Lyon combination was worth persisting with, but for only the next fortnight. "Give them another week, maybe two at the most and see what happens," Lyons said.

Bout bloody time... Lyon to centre. Bring it on.

I disagree. Put Wells there for goodness sakes. Leave our strongest back row in the back row damn it !

I don't want to harp on probably the slowest player in the NRL, but if he's in the back row, Manly are doomed.

Would we rather have Bell crabbing it up at right centre, or move Lyon to his natural position and see how he goes? I think he played there against the Tigers last year and set Menzies up for both his tries.

It doesn't address what some are saying is our problem - a lack of playmakers other than Offord.  Our only other "playmaker" is Cuthbo with his offloads but des soesn't trust him and only gives him a token 10 minutes when the game is done and dusted.

Menzies was our only real option apart from Lyon, I am definately not convinced with Wells.  Sure played a bit of 5/8 as a junior but Wiki also used to be a centre, could he play centre now?  I would rather Wells or Mauro come into the side and take Willos role.

lockyer was a fullback in his junior years and im pretty sure he could still play there now

Fluffy link said:
lockyer was a fullback in his junior years and im pretty sure he could still play there now

Correct, if you class up to the age of 25, NRL, Origin and Test football junior level.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
World Class Centre at 5/8
Manlys Greatest Backrower at 5/8

Same S**t different bucket for me tbh

If the result is Lyon playing better it is well worth it.  Menzies will be good at 5/8 or in the backrow.  I understand our 5/8 issue wont be solved but this may well give us more strike power out wide.

Garts - the problem with that is Beaver is a ball runner, not a ball player, so how much opportunity will the outside backs get. It all comes down to Orford's shoulders now...and frankly, that's a scary thing - because whilst he gets paid more than the Darren Lockyers of the game, he only contributes about 5% of what Lockyer does and can.

Beaver has some ball playing ability, more than Lyon imo.  So Lyon should see some quality ball playing outside him, hopefully anyway.

My main concern is still our sh!thouse long kicking game.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE link said:
Zorb on his sunday show just stated beaver to 5/8 lyon to centre.

This is a blessing in disguise. Everyone pray for a Lyon hat-trick.

this is again why i dont understand letting Monaghan go when we had him under contract... we lack play makers...Orford on his own as our only option... other teams know this.. and we know how Orford performs (or doesnt perform) under pressure..

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6