Beaver Signs With Bradford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
Its up at www.mwse.com.au

very sad day :(

but i guess he cant play for ever.

What a legend

Sad Sad Sad day

But thank you beaver for all your years of loyal service and entertainment.
YOu are a true Gem of a player and a man, we will miss you dearly as fans and wish you all the luck in the world in the Future. I know we will see you as part of the coaching staff one day and if you aren't already I hope you are made a lifetime member!

well, words fail me at a time like this, I am supposed to be a grown man but I am quite litterally shedding tears that this is the end of one of the greatest eras Manly will ever see.

Thanks for all the absolutely wonderful memories Beaver.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I can see the signs on the Hill for our last home game this year

"I won't get to see my Beaver ever again!!"

End of an area, it will be strange going to Brookie and beaver not being in the team.

A true great/legend of the club and a credit o his family/team/district and sport.

Good luck to him in the UK and wherever life take him.

STEVE MENZIES ANNOUNCEMENT - update

17/07/2008 - By Manly Sea Eagles
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp

FULL AUDIO AND VIDEO OF THE PRESS CONFERENCE FOR MEMBERS SOON
Discussions between Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler and Bradford coach Steve McNamara have played a major role in the legendary forward Steve Menzies joining the English Super League club on a one year deal for the 2009 season.
Menzies announced today that he will end his classic 16 season career at the Sea Eagles at the end of the current season.
"I will always love Manly and I will never play against them," Menzies told a packed media conference at the club's Sydney Academy of Sport headquarters.
"I have thought about this decision for a long time. My decision to finish my career in England is one I made after consulting family, friends and some ex team mates playing in England.
"I would like to have played with Manly forever but that isn't possible and I know I can play at least one more season and that will be with the Bradford club," Menzies said.

menzies-pc.jpg

Left to right - Scott Penn Chairman, Steve 'Beaver' Menzies, Grant Mayer CEO
The Beaver will play his 339th game for Manly tomorrow night at his beloved Brookvale Oval against arch rivals Parramatta.
It was at the same ground he debuted in first grade on June 26,1993 against the Brisbane Broncos under the coaching of Manly legend Bob Fulton.
"Brookvale is the ground that will remain in my heart forever. It was at the ground that I first watched Manly play sitting on the hill with my grandpop Mackie Campbell.
"He played in Manly's first side in 1947 so I am proud to carry on the family tradition at Manly. I dreamed of playing with Manly from the time I was six years of age and to play for so long is amazing.
"I suppose I will realise what I have achieved when I retire but the northern beaches is where I will live immediately my period with Bradford is over.
"Hopefully one day I can return in some capacity and work under Des Hasler who is heading towards being a great coach in the game," Menzies said.
Coach Hasler said Bradford would get tremendous value out of having Steve Menzies for a season.
"He is a wonderful human being and is value on and off the field. In discussions with Bradford they were always aware of Beaver's iconic standing in the game," Hasler said.
Bradford have beaten off other English Super League clubs Salford, Castleford, London Harlequins and the Cardiff Celtics.
Glamour club Wigan also expressed an interest.
Steve Menzies has etched a name in Rugby League history in his 338 games (second all time to Terry Lamb 349) and has scored 171 tries (second all time to Ken Irvine (212).He played 20 games for NSW in State of Origin and 15 Tests for Australia.
If Manly repeat last year and make the grand final he will equal Lamb's record.

This is where the NRL shoots itself in the foot with long serving players being forced into overseas deals because they cannot be excluded from the salary cap, Beaver should be able to say to Manly I wan't to play on in 09 (which he obviously does) and not be included in the cap and be able to get a 3rd party deal and/or benefit night

He is still in the top 25 players in the game IMO.

How we have not re-signed him for next year is...disappointing.

A true legend

Meyer and the rest of them seem to be pleased that he's going.  Was there any attempt to sign him for another year?  If not, why not.

Spot on DSM

I am ****en fuming, especially reading this line

"I would like to have played with Manly forever but that isn't possible"

Why the **** is it not possible ?????? This bloke has done everything for this club, would never, ever screw it over, and if he thought he was up for another year, then he gets it, simple as that

Should leave it there coz i am a bit too fired up to keep writing i think

Just had a journo on the radio over here, who said that we never even offered him a contract.

Nothing against Chris Bailey, but he should NEVER have been signed, if that signing meant Menzies couldn't be retained

People will probably say that it is just professional sport, normally i would agree, but **** that, this situation is a bit different

When this club was on it's knees, knives in the back and the blade just about to decapitate the head, this bloke turned down HUGE money to stay loyal to club, and was a cornerstone in rebuilding it. So the reward for that is a "thanks but no thanks, we don't want you, head to the UK"

For the people in charge, to make this decision just 5-6 years later, is a deadset disgraceful act.

2 or 3 years ago I would have been screaming louder than you KE. It has just me that long to realise that the team we support is nothing more than a business.

We are just customers of that business. We are a captive audience that will pay overs for all sorts of clothing, game day experiences and supporter functions.

In the cold hard light of a boardroom a decision was made that Menzies could no longer contribute to the ongoing success of this business.

That is not something that I agree with but it is something that I have to come to terms with, along with playing games away from Brookvale and , paying $170.00 for a glorified Tee Shirt which is apparently also called a jersey.

Whether we like it or not ( and I don't) sentiment, loyalty or whatever else you want to add counts for nothing these days as far as the NRL is concerned. 

If that is the case. It is ****ed up.

I say we all pitch in $1000 a year to keep the beaver playing!!

i'll wait and see what comes of this but If I hear Beaver saying: "I would have liked to stay but Manly couldn't make me an offer" all **** will hit the fan.

Very True CP

Have seen all loyalty dripping out of the game over time, but, it seems stupid now, i always saw Menzies and Manly, along with Lockyer and Brisbane, as the last true remaining links to the old, loyal way

The sad part to all this for me is that i have read interviews with Brett Stewart and Watmough, saying that they wanted to be just like Beaver, a 1 club player, and they look up at him. I thought we may keep that legacy going here at Manly, but after these blokes see what has happened to Beaver, maybe they consider that and twice now

That's a sure sign of disloyalty!

Sack him now!

So like that Mr Menzies! He's like a $2 hooker. He'll go with anyone.

What has happened to our glorious game of league! The honour, the tradition, and of course, the loyalty.

Gonneeeeee.

You better watch Mr Menzies, when the mighty Sea Eagles clash with Bradford next.

Revenge is a dish best served cold!

signed
WEEV

ps, and yes, I have been s**king something. My undies!

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6