Beaver scores only try in Bulls win

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
UK Sea Eagles update......

Steve Menzies claimed the only try as Bradford Bulls made heavy weather of winless Salford City Reds in the Engage Super League tonight.

The Australian forward's 24th-minute touchdown proved enough for a second successive Bulls victory but the manner of their performance was again unimpressive.

Salford showed plenty of determination but lacked the quality to break through and Bradford made sure of victory at The Willows with a late Matt Orford penalty and Paul Sykes drop goal.

The Reds were barely able to get out of their own half in the opening 40 minutes and it was remarkable they came through it only 4-0 down.

Twice Bulls winger Rikki Sheriffe went close to scoring early on but, hindered by a hamstring injury, he was unable to touch down precise kicks from influential half-backs Orford and Brett Kearney.

Another Orford kick put pressure on the opposite wing but Ashley Gibson did well to defuse the danger.

Salford at last earned some relief as they were awarded a penalty on halfway in the 21st minute and their supporters celebrated as if they had scored a try.

And it almost got better as they finally pieced together a threatening attack but a Dan Holdsworth knock-on allowed Bradford to break.

The only try came moments later as Kearney burst through the line and Sykes sent Menzies over.

Orford missed a straightforward conversion and despite applying more pressure, the Bulls were unable to add to their lead.

Salford actually ended the half strongly but their limitations were obvious and Bradford held out until the break.

Bradford were forced into a change as Sheriffe was unable to go for the second period.

Dave Halley moved into his position out wide with Sykes taking over at full-back.

The game proceeded at the same dreary pace it had before the interval but Salford showed resolve and eventually made some good ground.

A penalty gave them a chance to attack the Bulls line but Luke Swain was held just short and Mark Henry then fumbled.

The Bulls tried to make them pay but Stuart Reardon also knocked on when well placed.

Bradford's profligacy encouraged Salford to hit back but another handling error, this time by Stefan Ratchford, ended a promising attack.

The visitors at least put themselves a converted score ahead when they were awarded a penalty in the 65th minute and Orford accepted the two points on offer.

But the game was still not secure and Salford could not be knocked for their persistence.

Ratchford almost stole through for a dramatic try with four minutes remaining but was denied by a fine Sykes tackle.

Bradford added the extra insurance of a Sykes drop goal with two minutes remaining.

"Orford missed a straightforward conversion.... "

I tried to come up with a killer smart comment on this one, but, I knew I'd be put to shame by others and it's nothing that hasn't already been said here.

So instead I will stick with  ;D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4