Beaver -Modern day miracle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Remarkable longevity...Steve Menzies will become the oldest rep player in 90 years when he plays for the Exiles against England in June.
HE is a modern-day miracle.
Steve Menzies - The Beaver - created his own history yesterday by being selected in a representative game to be played at the famous Headingley ground in Leeds next month.

Unbelievably, he will become the oldest representative player in 90 years.

For the first time, the English national side will play an Exiles representative team - comprising Super League players from Australia and New Zealand - on June 10.

The game is being billed as England's version to State of Origin football.

SEE FULL SQUAD BELOW

It will also act as a full-scale hit-out for England ahead of the Four Nations tournament in Britain later this year.

Menzies was yesterday named in the side and becomes the oldest rep player since Sandy Pearce representatives Australia at age 38 years and 158 days back in 1921.

Menzies, the former Manly champion currently playing for French side Catalans, turns 38 in December.

"It really is a great honour," Menzies said.

"I am not sure whether I will go around next season again. We will just have to wait and see."

Menzies, the oldest player in Super League, left Australia after the 2008 season when Manly famously beat Melbourne 40-0 in the grand final. He played for Bradford before joining Catalans.

The 18-man Exiles squad, coached by Kiwi Brian McClennan, has nine Australians and nine New Zealanders.

Thirteen players have been selected from a poll of more than 10,000 fans with McClennan choosing the other five in the squad.

Super League leaders Warrington have the biggest representation with four players - Louis Anderson, Matt King, Brett Hodgson and Joel Monaghan, while champions Wigan and Huddersfield each have three representatives.

"The make up of the squad looks very exciting," McClennan said.

"We have some terrific talent at our disposal with vast experience at the highest level.

"The fans have made some intelligent selections throughout the voting process over the past month.

"Their selections mirror the type of squad I am looking to build.

"Their fan picks will serve as the nucleus of my squad going into the game against England."

Exiles: Louis Anderson (Warrington, NZ), Danny Buderus (Leeds, Aus, c), George Carmont (Wigan, NZ), Rangi Chase (Castleford, NZ), David Fa'alogo (Huddersfield, NZ), David Faiumu (Huddersfield, NZ), Craig Fitzgibbon (Hull, Aus), Brett Hodgson (Warrington, Aus), Matt King (Warrington, Aus), Kylie Leuluai (Leeds, NZ), Thomas Leuluai (Wigan, NZ), Steve Menzies (Catalans, Aus), Joel Monaghan (Warrington, Aus), Luke O'Donnell (Huddersfield, Aus), Mark O'Meley (Hull, Aus), Tony Puletua (St Helens, NZ), Pat Richards (Wigan, Aus), Iosia Soliola (St Helens, NZ).

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/steve-menzies-to-become-oldest-rep-player-in-90-years-when-he-plays-for-exiles-v-england-aged-37/story-e6frexnr-1226050741319

Fluffy said:
bring him back

1 more year
he should have been with us this year :(

Lockyer is a great player but i feel beaver deserves the hold the record for the most 1st grade games more.

Imagine the influence beaver could of had on blokes like Burher, hoppa, dce and Oldfield this season.

In my books Beaver has played more club games then Lockyer as I count the NRL games as well as ESL games and he'd be pushing 500 career games at the end of this season.

The problem with holding someone like Beaver means one of the young guy's would have gone to another club.

In hindsight Beaver could've played on for a few more seasons & it's a shame he didn't but really there will never be a better send off than scoring a try in a 40-0 GF win with 60,000 people chanting your name.

It's a shame that he wasn't around for 09/10 where he really would have helped but in a way I'm happy he went out on the top rather than get mired down in some of the crap that has happened over the past couple of years.

Frogz said:
Hope fox run this on TV

They don't have the rights to ESL anymore Nein does and they won't show it despite the interest of everyone that follows Rugby League.

The game is on in a months time.

Absolute friggin legend and great bloke as well. Lets hope there is a job for him with the club when he returns.

Wolfpack said:
In hindsight Beaver could've played on for a few more seasons & it's a shame he didn't but really there will never be a better send off than scoring a try in a 40-0 GF win with 60,000 people chanting your name.

It's a shame that he wasn't around for 09/10 where he really would have helped but in a way I'm happy he went out on the top rather than get mired down in some of the crap that has happened over the past couple of years.

150% spot on, I'll forever remember the 76th minute of the 2008 Grand Final as a result, imagine had he played on and 2010 was his last year, humiliated by St Goerge 28-0 in his last game......no thanks!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
Wolfpack said:

150% spot on, I'll forever remember the 76th minute of the 2008 Grand Final as a result, imagine had he played on and 2010 was his last year, humiliated by St Goerge 28-0 in his last game......no thanks!!

I can understand that thought process, but to be honest if he came back and played this season and didn't work out it wouldn't change my opinion of what he did in his career one bit. The try in the GF still counts and the score will still be 40-0.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6