Beaver for Manly's NRL 9s team?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Broncos were trying to get Brad Thorn for the NRL 9s. So how about Manly give the Beaver a swansong in Manly colours? It has no salary cap implications & if he stays reasonably fit over summer, why not?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/brad-thorns-bid-to-play-for-brisbane-broncos-at-auckland-nines-tournament-quashed/story-fndv2w3r-1226741262792

BRAD Thorn's desire to make a nostalgic return to Broncos colours has been scuttled by his provincial rugby union coach.

Organisers of the Auckland Nines rugby league competition in February made a bold pitch for Thorn to play for the Broncos in the new tournament even though the cross-code warrior is contracted to the Otago Highlanders for another Super Rugby season.

The Broncos gave a favourable response and Thorn, who played 200 first-grade games for the club in two stints spanning 10 years, was keen to accept the offer.

The New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) gave it the green light but the final crucial vote was a thumbs-down from Otago coach Jamie Joseph.

"Brad is an absolute legend over here and we nearly got there," said Nines promoter and former New Zealand league international Dean Lonergan.

"Brad was as keen as. He really liked the idea. The Broncos quite liked it and I was thrilled by the support from chief executive Paul White.

"Jamie Joseph thought it was a great idea but he felt that because they are preparing for their season they just couldn’t let it happen. We might do it in the future when Brad’s finished with the Highlanders."

The remarkable Thorn turns 39 in February and, while not seeming a classical Nines fit given the likely pace of the game, is a fine ambassador whose clout could have helped the new two-day competition.

the 9's are a waste of time so we might as well send beaver, cliffy and bozo as part of our team

tookey said:
the 9's are a waste of time so we might as well send beaver, cliffy and bozo as part of our team

I doubt the 16 NRL teams don't see it as a waste of time when the prize money for winning it is worth more then winning the actual premiership o_O

eagles2win said:
tookey said:

I doubt the 16 NRL teams don't see it as a waste of time when the prize money for winning it is worth more then winning the actual premiership o_O

They will think that it is a waste of time when one of their stars goes down with a long term injury which is bound to happen.

We wouldn't be happy if snake played and tore his hamtrsing

Manly Nines side for mine

Josh Starling
Dunamis Lui
Mackay Cutters Prop
Jayden Hodges
Cheyse Blair
Delroy Berryman
those other couple of new recruits
Beaver
Gutherson
Hiku

MadMarcus said:
Brad Thorn is not a legend.

I don't know about that, in my book he has a pretty impressive career across two codes. Not much he hasn't achieved, NRL Premiership, SOO, Kangaroo Jumper, Super Rugby title, European Rugby title, Rugby World Cup title.

Pretty impressive CV if you ask me.

Chip and Chase said:
MadMarcus said:

I don't know about that, in my book he has a pretty impressive career across two codes. Not much he hasn't achieved, NRL Premiership, SOO, Kangaroo Jumper, Super Rugby title, European Rugby title, Rugby World Cup title.

Yeah but how many games did he play for Manly? Not a legend. :p

MadMarcus said:
Chip and Chase said:
MadMarcus said:

Yeah but how many games did he play for Manly? Not a legend. :p

You are a true Manly fan ;)

--

Chip and Chase said:

Josh Starling
Dunamis Lui
Mackay Cutters Prop
Jayden Hodges
Cheyse Blair
Delroy Berryman
Beaver
Gutherson
Hiku
I thought I read somewhere that each team was committed to playing a minimum number of their 'stars' to this comp. Otherwise many teams would be doing exactly as you propose above.
I am sure each team would love to give all their players a well earned rest before pre-season starts but I doubt player welfare is of much importance to the nrl, they will have promised the promoters a star studded event and teams that don't comply will be screwed over, well some of them anyway, us being top of that list

Brissie Kid said:
Broncos were trying to get Brad Thorn for the NRL 9s. So how about Manly give the Beaver a swansong in Manly colours? It has no salary cap implications & if he stays reasonably fit over summer, why not?

If Beaver made an appearance at the Nines half of Manly Warringah would travel to Auckland. That would be quite awesome !

Chip and Chase said:

Josh Starling
Dunamis Lui
Mackay Cutters Prop
Jayden Hodges
Cheyse Blair
Delroy Berryman
Beaver
Gutherson
Hiku

Ohh NOOO we are starting to sound like the Roosters. First it was DCE and now we have MCP (Mackay Cutters Prop) :p

My team :

1. Hiku
2. Horhay
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. Horo
6. Foran
7. Cherry Evans
8. Lawerance
9. Hodges

10. Gutherson
11. Watmough
12. Blair
13. G.Stewart

eagles2win said:
My team :

1. Hiku
2. Horhay
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. Horo
6. Foran
7. Cherry Evans
8. Lawerance
9. Hodges

10. Gutherson
11. Watmough
12. Blair
13. G.Stewart
So you would have Blair in the squad before our leading try scorer for 2013?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4