Be honest …

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
When this season began, did anyone seriously think that the finals series would start with Manly posted as the bookies favourite to win the comp? Be honest now!

I didn't, even though I was confident we'd be 'in the mix'.

In fact, when was the last time we started a finals series as competition favourites? 1996?? All credit to Toovey and the players, a brilliant effort.

Ok, I'll be honest. I ate the last Tim Tam.

Great job to Tooves and the boys considering this year started with such uncertainty. A gutsy effort.

Thereabouts...4th-6th. Let's hope the boys have the drive and hunger to win another premiership.

Dragons looked like they would go back to back last year. But faded towards the end. They didn't have as much hunger in 2011 because they put so much Into proving everyone wrong in 2010.

What's different with Manly is the boys aren't looking to defend the premiership. They want to win it!!

SeaEagleRock8 said:
When this season began, did anyone seriously think that the finals series would start with Manly posted as the bookies favourite to win the comp? Be honest now!

I didn't, even though I was confident we'd be 'in the mix'.

In fact, when was the last time we started a finals series as competition favourites? 1996?? All credit to Toovey and the players, a brilliant effort.

No. I remember feeling very low when I heard the confirmation Des and coaching staff were going to the Dogs. I use to rate Des as a coach & mentor and always hated the Dogs. I thought it was take a year or so for things to settle down & rebuild & when the injuries started happening I was convinced this was not our year.

The players, Toovey and the support staff have performed magnificently this year. Kudos to all involved.

I know it is professional sport but I no longer rate Des!

Yeah I knew they'd be up there but probably not to be the favourites. I do believe they deserve it though because they are the still the champs and are a top 4 team. They have overcome alot of injuries and suspensions this season especially to key players but have still been able to win games. Also they have adjusted well to a new coach be it Tooves who's done a great job in transitioning the team to his coaching style. Lastly I still think Manly are yet to play their best footy yet which is a scary proposition to the other teams left. We have seen over the last 5 or 6 weeks how good they can be in flashes especially in 1st halfs. Now if they put in full 80 minute efforts watch out although their last 2 games theyve shown gritty defense in the 2nd halfs. To me if Manly play close to their best football no one will beat them. They just have so much attacking ability all over the field with multiple playmakers,devastating runners and a tough physical pack who hit hard and run hard getting that important go forward ball. Also this is also a very experienced side with many players who have multiple GF appearances but have a good mix of youth as well. For me it's Manlys to lose but definitely theirs if they are hungry and determined enough.

I thought we were no chance, I felt sick after the GF last year, spending way too much time on the internet searching for signs of impending doom and destruction. Toovey's appointment did little to allay my worst fears, thinking of club greats like Meninga(QLD doesn't count), Fittler, Junior Pearce, Royce Simmons and to a lesser extent Tugga Coleman. Oh yea of little faith! I honestly felt Toovey would be too big a step down from Ha$ler and the mess he left behind.

The fact that Des himself couldn't muster more than an early finals exit following the 2008 victory only added to the gloom. Get out clauses in our best players contracts(put in place by the man himself) would surely mean humiliation for Tooves as Snake, Foz and co lined up outside the Belmore football office, looking for a real coach.

But just as he did whenever he pulled on the maroon & white, Tooves rose above the obstacles, even as suspension , injury and questionable scheduling stacked up against him. Now he has them two games from a GF appearance and just like his days in the 7 and 9, he's coming out punching way above his weight. The team is tighter than ever and people are being forced to acknowledge the little Manly General.

We are favorites due to good form and been there done that last year, we can and will get better dogs are riding on confidence if they loose friday then say goodbye, if we loose friday we can come back and win the lot, storm can do the same but i think dogs and south cant come back.

Brilliant post Kevinward777! Just what I wanted to read before going to bed lol.

Nope I didn't think we'd be premiership favourites... I thought we would finish in the top 8 and that's it. The boys have done us all proud :)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
When this season began, did anyone seriously think that the finals series would start with Manly posted as the bookies favourite to win the comp?
I have always strongly believed, since last year's premiership win, that if we could keep our best possible line up on the field then we would probably win the comp again. Does that count?

I think the biggest unknown for me was how many players we would lose and what effect that would have on the group. If you had told me we would resign pretty well all the starting 17 then I would have been pretty confident we'd be competitive. I think our 2009 hangover was weighing heavily on my mind, but this current squad has proven they are a superior side. In an ironic twist, Des leaving has probably been the catalyst to overcome any potential complacency

i always had faith!
we have the best halves in the comp, the best centre and kiwi centre.
experienced forward pack, one of the best fullbacks in the game.

all this points to success, why wouldn't have any manly fan not be confident?

Absolutely. I was telling my mates B2B from the start. All I kept saying was look at our 2011 side and compare the 2. Who did we lose? Hoppa who even though brilliant was only playing wing for us, Robbo and Shane Rodney.

We had capable back ups waiting in the wings. The 1st game against the Warriors confirmed it for me.

I always think we will finish 5th, eventually I will be right again.

Last year I felt we could give things a good shake straight from round 1, this year I started not sure, had a loss of faith mid-season, but Hallelujah brothers and sisters I have that winning feeling again.

Has anyone spotted the Sea Eagles (actual birds not the team) nesting at Homebush again this year ?

The Eagle said:
I had us as second favorites to the Mergepies...or favorites to them

Really don't know why the Tigers were favourites, all they gained was Adam Blair and lost two very handy props in Fifita and Gibbs.
The unknown with us was the fallout over Hasler.

I was hesitant but along with Clontaago, the round 1 win against the Warriors confirmed it for me. My hesitation at the start was because i was sure teams like the Broncos and Warriors would improve greatly this year. Who knew they would both go backwards?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6