BDO bans Aussie flag

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
[quote author=Matabele]
[quote author=Fro]
No you arent Matas, you are fishing.

Do they celebrate \"Shaft Lobengula day\" in Zim??

We had two National holidays. Rhodes and Founders weekend to celebrate the pioneers and UDI day which is the day we said up yours to the world and sought self-determination.

You fellas are kidding yourselves if you don't think the gene pool of a nation are not affected by its origins. The Great Australian Bight should be renamed the Great Australian Blind Spot.

[/quote]

And Ryan, Matas is more than capable of making his own point, your entry in to the debate will simply bring Jatz out of the woodwork and that will simply degenerate into one of your slangfests, as opposed to the reasoned debate thus far.

[/quote]

Won't happen. I'm over :wall: and :bdh:

[quote author=Matabele]
Seriously, surely there would be a better date to celebrate Australia's nationhood?

I don't see ANZAC day as an option as it is essentially a ridiculous loss inflicted on us by a bumbling colonial power.

I suggest Australia Day should be in Summer, but somewhere in November so that we can address the current imbalance of all the public holidays falling in the first five months of the year.

How about Australia Day always being on the opening day of the first Cricket Test of the Season?

you are a bumbling fool if you think thats what anzac day is about - it encompases far more than just the battle of Gallipoli.

Its a time to pay respects to those that helped this country get to where it is which i far better off than it would have been had it been invaded.

Just to name a few other battles Suakin, Somme, Poziers, ypres, Amiens, Palestine, Syria, Greece, Malaya, Kokoda, Bardia, Tobruk, Borneo as well as more recent conflicts such as Korea, Vietnam, Rwanda, East timor etc

[/quote]

This may shock you Fluffy but I'll concede that point. Australia's soldiers have a very prous heritage of against the odds wins.

im glad you do, they also have almost always conducted themselves with honour, moreso than most other nations.

while your on about public holidays - whats with the queens birthday - its not even her birthday

Yeah, don't get me started on the monarchy.

I'm surprised you don't have Milne Bay on your list of battlefields.

its not a complete list - it is just a partial list where my regiment has recorded battle honours off the top of my head hence why there isnt much after WW2 since the regiment has not been to war since.

Did you know that the Sarties would never allow the Australian troop ships to berth in Cape Town or Durban? They caused too much trouble if they came on shore. ;)

thats the navy boys - they are a bit weird.

ive heard they like to do a few fish tails when crossing the equator to maximise the fun.

careful look at history will reveal that much of the atrocities of the early colonel were perpetuated by the free settlers and soldiers who were basically Godless and corrupt.

As the colony was founded at Botany Bay on 26th Jan I see no problem as this being our foundation day though it does exclude the indigenous population. Just to also correct the misinformation, most of the indigenous population were wiped out by disease such as smallpox and the common cold to which they had no immunity to, rather than genocide, though some unfortunate incidents did take place in the explorer periods of the 1800s.

must have been a hell of a lot of \"unfortunate incedents in Tasmania\"??
Got me there Fro. The 'unfortunate incidents' were a euphemism for the atrocities that occurred, usually in response to threatening behaviour. It all comes back to misunderstandings of culture - and as correctly put was a different time with a different perspective. Terra nullius was assumed.

Federation day is already taken unfortunately, by New Years day.

It is taken Fro but it is still the most logical day to have Australia Day as before federation the separate colonies were like different countries.

Perhaps they could bung another holiday in later in the year to give us toilers a day off and make 1 January Australia Day.

I still think the Anniversary of federation 1 Jan is the most logical date for Australia Day

I had a quick google and the first fleet actually arrived in Botany bay on 19 Jan and 26 Jan was the date the Union Jack was first raised in Port Jackson as it was deemed a better sight for settlement.

obviously if we are going to change the date it should be to the greatest day this country has seen - the day i was born.

[quote author=Fluffy]
obviously if we are going to change the date it should be to the greatest day this country has seen - the day i was born.
What the 1st of April ? :D
[/quote]

Gold!!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4