Barba the truth comes out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I am just not sure

It just needs to be consistent i.e. every time there is a complaint to the club then there should be an obligation on the club to inform the NRL regardless of the outcome

What would be nice if the NRL published clear guidelines so everyone knew where they stood.

As an aside i wonder how much Des's experience at Manly with Brett impacted their handling of the situation

bones said:
lsz said:
The bigger question here is...

If a player is accused of something and is not charged does the NRL act?

Take out the hatred of the dogs

If a manly player was accused but never charged should the nrl know or act?

Or...If a woman tells a club CEO she was assaulted by a player, should that CEO tell the NRL? The fact she may have changed her story since in irrelevant.

We all know that Greenberg and Des consider themselves to be Gods. Therefore they are afforded the same protection that priests are in the confessional box.

Chip and Chase said:
bones said:
lsz said:

Or...If a woman tells a club CEO she was assaulted by a player, should that CEO tell the NRL? The fact she may have changed her story since in irrelevant.

We all know that Greenberg and Des consider themselves to be Gods. Therefore they are afforded the same protection that priests are in the confessional box.

It's the kids who need protection in the confessional box.

http://www.rugbyleague.com.au/nrlwelfare/social.html

The NRL have actively running Welfare Programs at all Clubs.
Respectful Relationships
In 2004 the NRL Rugby League established a committee specifically designed to assess where the game’s values and attitudes towards women

The fact that a victim has no financial, nor emotional strength to defend herself, should surely have placed some moral obligation onto the men who were made aware of this severe social issue.

The NRL needs to address mothers concerns over this, more so than potential shoulder charge injuries to their boys who are playing the game :cool:

The lack of Police charges is a moot point when you have a billion dollar brand to foster and promote to 50% of the population.
'Perception is Reality', so we women are not placated by 'The Women in League' Round when this type of cover up is exposed:mad:

How a man, who was actively interviewing for a top level Administrative and Operation position at the NRL, could have fronted the Media and blabbed on about '..childhood issues..this is not a police matter..' is beyond belief :dodgy: The Public all felt at the time that there was a cover up, and unfortunately, we are only now being drip fed the truth.

Integrity Commission, the women who love league are depending on you to act ASAP:exclamation:

didnt souths get the NRL up there arse because an incident occurred and they didnt report it to the NRL. Was it the Teo one maybe

Remember when you say "the family club" you need to put the Godfather accent on.

Maybe now we know why greenturd left the dogs. Easier for him to cover up from the inside of HQ.

I guess fining toovey not his biggest problem now?

Budgewoi Eagle said:
If true, the Bulldogs got it right. Tried to encourage woman to report and when she wouldn't, stood player down and sent to rehab. No way to force him to stay and happy to move him on in order to bring harmony back to the team. Only blind hatred of the Dogs could cause you to read it differently.

And what would be wrong with that interpretation? :D

lsz said:

Good question and the answer is yes, according to this report by Paul Kent in DT
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/ben-barba-issue-hits-at-nrl-integrity/story-fni3fbgz-1226708604149

"If the assault occurred as it was originally claimed she told the Bulldogs, it is covered not only under the club’s code of conduct but possibly under common law and potentially criminal law.

"Indeed, if the Bulldogs knew of the claim, which their denials confirm they did, and saw physical damage then they should have reported it to police.

"It would be a hard case to show if police did proceed, making them wary to do so, but it is covered under law."

2q9kwtf.jpg

How did this happen is my question

If Greenberg is not sacked. The game should forget women in league rounds because the game will have zero creditability in regards to the respect of women.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
How did this happen is my question
That is one question BE.
The other one, more important if anything, is whether the Bulldogs hid serious allegations from the NRL.

The Greenberg cover up reminds me of the Kevin Humphreys saga in the 1970's.

".. 1973 he replaced Bill Buckley as the president of the NSWRL and lasted for just five days short of a decade, resigning in disgrace after a Four Corners investigation into the administration of the game and how he escaped a prison term for embezzling more than $50,000 from Balmain Leagues Club..."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/kevin-humphreys-a-talent-at-top-of-his-league/story-e6frep5x-1225860386998

Interesting read, as it refers to Humphreys gambling issues, as well as his stance on domestic violence :cool:

If the NRL Integrity Unit try and minimise this story, Four Corners may just do an expose that they will have to defend for years.

Doing the rounds that this is just the tip of the iceberg in regards to Barba.

BTW this was brought up by the media back in the WiL round not just the Dogs being butthurt.

The fallout I'm expecting -
Barba suspended for an extended period (I'd love to say life but that won't happen)
Greenburg sacked.
And if Des knew possibly the same (he allegedly wanted Barba sacked - probably the reason why he didn't support Barba like he did with Snake)

Greenberg is definitely the one with most to lose here. If it turns out his mastery of spin got the better of his ethics, there'd be quite a few cheering as he headed out the door in disgrace.

eagles2win said:
And if Des knew possibly the same (he allegedly wanted Barba sacked - probably the reason why he didn't support Barba like he did with Snake)
Don't watch Dogs games usually but couple of times I've seen Des on TV looking so calm, it made me wonder if he has disengaged emotionally from that club. He's an ultra-professional but from the snippets I've seen he doesn't look likely to be ripping doors off anytime soon.

Kiwi Eagle said:
So just to be clear on all this, we are taking the Telegraphs word as gospel on this one ?
Absolutely not. But Dog CEO Castle confirmed it's all been referred to the Integrity Unit.

It always had the stench of cover-up and that hasn't gone away, so there needs to be an investigation. That may well show that Greenberg & Co did not act unreasonably in the circumstances.

As a side issue - I'm not sure of the structure of the Integrity Unit. Do they report to Greenberg? In any case, his role is so senior that the Integrity Unit might look at bringing in some independent investigators, just to maintain a perception that it's all above board.

1. Barba questions

Questions prompted by the emergence of a photo of a woman who claimed to have been punched by Ben Barba: How was this not a cover-up, given that the highest-profile NRL player at the time was suspended by his club and we weren't told why?

If this allegation was related to domestic violence, was the alleged victim protecting her own income by not reporting it to police?

If Barba's mental state was the reason for keeping it quiet, and if he did not complete his counselling, why was he been allowed to return to the field?

Advertisement

How can the NRL employ, in a senior position, an official who allegedly presided over such a cover-up?

Should the claim have been reported to the police by the Bulldogs?

Next time a player is stood down for ''personal issues'', should we just assume that they are lying when they say there was no underlying incident?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/curly-questions-for-ben-barbas-bosses-20130901-2sz0c.html#ixzz2dhH7CVqU

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2