Ban Extension?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
Does anyone with legal knowledge have information about what grounds the NRL could have for extending Stewart's suspension after the April 7th court appearance?
It seems that the case is destined to go to trial which means that Stewart should be treated as innocent until proven guilty as in the case of past players. Stewart was apparently suspended for 4 weeks for being drunk. If so how can he be further suspended because his case is going to trial? As Pauline Hansen would say - please explain? (Sorry about being obsessed with Brett - can't help it. Want him back.)

niccipops link said:
Does anyone with legal knowledge have information about what grounds the NRL could have for extending Stewart's suspension after the April 7th court appearance?
It seems that the case is destined to go to trial which means that Stewart should be treated as innocent until proven guilty as in the case of past players. Stewart was apparently suspended for 4 weeks for being drunk. If so how can he be further suspended because his case is going to trial? As Pauline Hansen would say - please explain? (Sorry about being obsessed with Brett - can't help it. Want him back.)

they have none, really. the first ban was for drinking, and unrelated to the court case

Get over your obsession with Stewart and become obsessed with a real player like Jason King.  Kingy should be the face of the NRL.

kingyfan link said:
Get over your obsession with Stewart and become obsessed with a real player like Jason King.  Kingy should be the face of the NRL.
Maybe if he wore a balaclava. Obsession continues!

kingyfan link said:
I can see him being a big hit with his mug on a doormat, for example. It would fit with his current standing in the game ;)

niccipops link said:
[quote author=kingyfan link=topic=179947.msg216818#msg216818 date=1238627575]
[/quote]

Good idea.  He might look even more menacing on the field if he wore one. 

kingyfan link said:
[quote author=niccipops link=topic=179947.msg216820#msg216820 date=1238627787]
[quote author=kingyfan link=topic=179947.msg216818#msg216818 date=1238627575]
[/quote]

Good idea.  He might look even more menacing on the field if he wore one. 
[/quote]

You have a typo there you put in "more", it simply doesnt belong in that sentence

What worries me is how Gallop worded things. He said the suspension was for his drinking. But also said the length would depend on any new information. I'm just worried that if something comes out in court on the 7th Gallop will extend the suspension. Even thou it was only for drinking. If Stewarts court case goes to trial is Gallop going to say, well Brett has brought the game further into disrepute so we have to sit him out for a furhter four weeks.

Ryno link said:
What worries me is how Gallop worded things. He said the suspension was for his drinking. But also said the length would depend on any new information. I'm just worried that if something comes out in court on the 7th Gallop will extend the suspension. Even thou it was only for drinking. If Stewarts court case goes to trial is Gallop going to say, well Brett has brought the game further into disrepute so we have to sit him out for a furhter four weeks.
As previous players have been committed to trial for the same alleged offense I doubt Gallop would have a firm leg to stand on in this instance. A guilty verdict (disaster) further down the could change things from where Gallop sits. The story is full of holes. The DNA is negative. Stewart has a legitimate illness that could effect his decision making when intoxicated. It doesn't seem likely that a guilty verdict could be possible.

This thread rests on the presumption that this will be an ongoing drama after Tuesday.  I doubt very much if their will be any further proceedings in this matter. 

Rhyno (and the lovely Niccipops...gee I love that name)...if it goes to trial (and on my inside knowledge is it probably will...I'll explain that later) in all likelyhood the trial won't be until the end of the season...reason....I happen to know that Geoff Bellew would not be available for a lengthy case until then as he is currently full time (or thereabouts) on a rial expected to go for many many months.

So if the suspension was extended it may be for a further 16- 22 weeks, and that would see it as the greatest suspension in the history of the game... and (IMO) .....NOT going to happen!!

My inside knowledge comes from a real close mate, who isn't even a footy fan, playing very close attention to this whole case...why, he's a solicitor who has worked closely with Geoff Bellew and he knows I am very close to the club and a pasionate supporter, we talk 2 or 3 times a week about this very issue.

And he (my mate) said it would go to trial as the DPP don't want to "stuff up" like they did with the Bulldogs..it would only be if the accused withdrew all charges...and that is unlikely.

Mark

Mark, your sarcasm about the name is appreciated. It ended up being my ebay name as most things associated with "Nicci" were taken so I added a "pops" to it. I know it sounds a little nuts but there's nothing wrong with nuts, macadamias are delicious!
Your contact with your legal mate helps those of us who know little about how the law operates understand what's going on better, so thanks for that.
I just want to see my favourite little Manly hottie back on the field scoring tries for us, and I continue to be concerned about the what all the media bashing is doing to this guy's mental state.

Mark, I didn't imply that they would suspend him until it goes to trial or there after. More so that he may get a few more weeks for bring the game into disrepute.

As for the bulldogs it was more a case of the Police not having enough evidence.

Dictators don't need justification to act.  There may be a direct line to media control, but thankfully this country still has laws, not all of which are media-multinational influenced.

Let him do his worst.  Bring it on.  The noose will only tighten. Power abused risks power lost. I'm far from convinced this Gallop-induced slow start to the season will ultimately work against Manly.

Whatcha selling/buying niccipops?

Gallop used the drinking as a excuse to ban Stewart... It was always a ban till his court case and then he was going to take it from there... I can not believe how people do not see through his lies

kingyfan link said:
Kingy should be the face of the NRL,with all that make-up he wears.

Rex link said:
Dictators don't need justification to act.  There may be a direct line to media control, but thankfully this country still has laws, not all of which are media-multinational influenced.

Let him do his worst.  Bring it on.  The noose will only tighten. Power abused risks power lost. I'm far from convinced this Gallop-induced slow start to the season will ultimately work against Manly.

Whatcha selling/buying niccipops?
Tea cups and weapons of mass destruction.

manlyrule1972 link said:
Gallop used the drinking as a excuse to ban Stewart... It was always a ban till his court case and then he was going to take it from there... I can not believe how people do not see through his lies
We all know the real reason for the suspension. But after Gallop has so publicly declared that the ban was alcohol related what legal grounds does he have to stand on to extend the ban related to a matter that needs to be sorted out in the courtroom?
Innocent unit PROVEN guilty.

Very interesting....if they change the suspension I reckon there will more court cases than when they tried to kick Souths out! At the end of the day they may need to renegotiate their NRL TV licencing just to pay Snake and Manly their damages suits.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6