Ballin's in their court: Manly agrees to long-term deal with rake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Ballin's in their court: Manly agrees to long-term deal with rake

Adrian Proszenko | September 21, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/sea-eagles/ballins-in-their-court-manly-agrees-to-longterm-deal-with-rake/2008/09/20/1221331276310.html

MANLY hooker Matt Ballin will give the club a timely boost leading into its preliminary final by signing a long-term contract extension this week.

Ballin will knock back offers from Brisbane and St George Illawarra to extend his stay with the Sea Eagles for either three or four years.

There were concerns Manly might struggle this season when they lost inspirational rake Michael Monaghan to English club Warrington after last year's grand final loss to Melbourne.

However, Ballin and fellow hooker Heath L'Estrange have given the Sea Eagles outstanding service out of dummy half.

"It's taken a bit of time but we're close to a deal," Ballin said.

"I'm definitely going to stay here and I'm looking forward to getting it done. We've pretty much agreed.

"There were a few clubs interested but Manly have been good to me and I don't want to go anywhere.

"There's obviously a good culture here at the moment."

Manly coach Des Hasler is yet to settle on his team for the penultimate game of the season, although it appears Adam Cuthbertson will again miss out. L'Estrange squeezed the ball-playing forward out of the line-up against the Dragons last weekend, scoring a try and setting up another in an impressive display.

Cuthbertson was a big-name absentee at Manly's fan day on Thursday. He was training with the Sea Eagles' NSW Cup team, which played yesterday.

Hasler insisted Cuthbertson, who has played 21 games this season, was still in the selection mix.

"It's a week-to-week thing," Hasler said.
Source: The Sun-Herald

That's great about Matty. I hope he stays for ten years.

Why do these journo dickheads keep saying that the final bench spot is between Heath & Cuthbo? As I see it Heath is a definite & Cuthbo is up against another forward. Bryant for the conservative & Cuthbo for the creative.

That's pretty good news, let's hope he keeps developing. He needs to work on his kicking game so we have options in that department.

Whatever he is on he will definitely be worth more than that. I for one am extremely happy he stayed and the best thing is it's great to see Manly stars staying for less than they can make somewhere else.

A happy team is a winning team!!

Awesome news good on ya Matty for wanting to stay with this great club of ours. I reckon he will be looking to have a big game against the Warriors.

As Ox did after he won the Dally M Award. The Warriors are toast we are premiership bound for a second year running. Premiership no. 7 here we come.

Matabele link said:
I bet we're not paying $240k per season for him either.

True

and i bet he wont be stepping into half back for 6 weeks if orford is out injured either

Fluffy link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178470.msg197626#msg197626 date=1221951971]

True

and i bet he wont be stepping into half back for 6 weeks if orford is out injured either
[/quote]

No that’s what we bought one of the most talented youngsters in the under 20’s comp for, someone who's game will only improve with age, and may replace Orford in a couple of years.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=178470.msg197696#msg197696 date=1221975079]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178470.msg197626#msg197626 date=1221951971]

True

[/quote]

No that’s what we bought one of the most talented youngsters in the under 20’s comp for, someone who's game will only improve with age, and may replace Orford in a couple of years.
[/quote]

Trent Hodkinson has played two games since he return from a knee operation which kept him out for most of the year.

In those two games i liked what i seen from him he's confident in what he does out on field has a not bad kicking game he could end up being Orfords replacement at some point just have to see how he goes.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6