Bagging Dessie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Merc

I see a lot of Healthy discussion on this site and in the media about Des Hassler.

A lot of it in my opinion is unfair and unwarranted.

Des has a team with only one or two big game bankable player at the moment. The rest are a fairly hot and cold team when you look at them individually.

Des does a great job of getting at least a couple of these players to fire each game. Below is my assessment of the “first choice” playing group.

1. Brett Stewart – Our number one and most consistent player.  Big game player rarely missing in action
2. Michael Robertson – Once he gets on a role in a game he can be unstoppable. But I think I can count on one hand the amount of times he has done it.
3. Steve Matai – A great player does not mind a big game but sometimes gives away stupid penalties.
4. Steve Bell – Great player when he was at Melbourne. Everyone in the league has worked out you step inside every time. Get over it.
5. Michael Bani – Good solid player. Not enough time in the top grade to give a long term judgement.
6. Jamie Lyon – Good player playing out of position. Drop Bell and put this guy in the centres then we might have a second big game player.
7. Matt Orford – Big game chocker. I wish it wasn’t true but the last game against Melbourne proved it.
8. Josh Perry – Was not consistent at Newcastle lets hope he has new drive at Manly. Early signs are good. Was not there for the Melbourne game. Would he have changed the result who knows…
9. Matt Ballin – Good little player not brilliant though.
10. Jason King – What an improved player. I really take my hat off to this guy. Hasn’t had a blinder in a big game I can remember.
11. Anthony Watmough – Great player when he fires. Hasn’t gone on with it for a whole season. Maybe its injury who knows.
12. Glenn Stewart – Another great player when he fires. I think he did 2 hit ups in the City Country. Unbelievable really to have a chance like that and not go looking for the ball at every opportunity.
13. Luke Williamson – WOW what a boring player. Would anyone else in the comp have him in the team?
14. Heath Le’Strange – So far so good lets see some more of him.
15. Adam Cuthbertson –  A freak when it comes off. Can go missing like the rest of them in the big ones.
16. Steve Menzies – My favourite all time Manly player. What a freak this guy is. Imagine if we had a 5/8 and beaver was allowed to follow him around and run off him. They were the days. Stick him in 5/8 I say. Big game player no doubt.
17. Mark Bryant – That one legged hit up against Parramatta is the best thing I have seen him do.

Compare that team to all the premiership winning teams and we are one to two consistent big players down.

Des is doing his best with a good group of players. They need to look at themselves and try to be consistent and fire in the big games. If they were this would be a great team.

Just my thoughts everyone is welcome to there own.

A few posters on this site might bag the coach a bit but at least they have the courtesy to spell his bloody name right.

Now i'll type this slowly so you can read it, his name is HASLER!!

You say that almost all of them fail in big games, but you don't attribute any of this to Hasler?

Ben Cross is a great example of a loose player at Canberra who turned into a match-winner at Melbourne.

Great coaches can do this. Hasler isn't a great coach, but hopefully he can become one. (Am I being too optimistic?)

Canteen Worker link said:
Coaches don't run onto the field. Players do!!!

It's true that coaches don't miss tackles or drop the ball, but there is a reason that Wayne Bennett has won six premierships and Paul Langmack won none....

Bennett = Broncos where as Langmack = Souths, (Tigers maybe as well?) Can not compare due to the cattle.  Bennett v Brown is a better comparison.

Des's biggest failing is his continual picking of Williamson and Bryant in first grade and selcting Lyon at 5/8. 

These guys would not be playing Fg for any other NRL team including souths and Lyon is so much better at centre than 5/8 that anyone can see it except Des..

Tookey's right, and I'd add that Hassler won't/can't put a rocket up Orford, Bell, Kite and a number of others who either continually make poor decisions,  bludge or need to play in the park until they see the errors of their play.  And Merc, it's OK to have a go, fair or otherwise, at anyone on this site, unlike others.  That's democracy, love it or hate it. 

DSM5 link said:
Tookey's right, and I'd add that Hassler won't/can't put a rocket up Orford, Bell, Kite and a number of others who either continually make poor decisions,  bludge or need to play in the park until they see the errors of their play.  And Merc, it's OK to have a go, fair or otherwise, at anyone on this site, unlike others.  That's democracy, love it or hate it. 

You must have missed Fro's point earlier. Its Hasler.

I am interested as to who should be playing first grade instead of Willo and Bryant.

How do you know that these guys don't get rockets. Maybe playing first grade is harder than some people think.

for anyone that bags hasler i say read the following
2003 under sharp 14th
then in comes des
2004 12th
2005 8th
2006 5th (out second week)
2007 2nd (Grand Finalist)

Id like to know how a **** coach could achieve that.

He may not be the best in the NRL but hes in no way the worst or even middle of the road.

He has done well to get the side where it's at, 2nd is ok. Melbourne are the benchmark though and we have looked a hell of a long way off every time we have played them away from Brookvale.

If you ain't first, you're last.
                    - Ricky Bobby

Garts link said:
Bennett = Broncos where as Langmack = Souths, (Tigers maybe as well?) Can not compare due to the cattle.  Bennett v Brown is a better comparison.

The cattle arguement is fair, but my point was that it is no coincidence that Bennett has six comps more than most coaches in the NRL.

Bennett is a fantastic coach however would have he won 6 premierships coaching in Sydney or Canberra?  I doubt it, Brisbane have a massive pool of talent to choose from and players want to stay there as it is close to home.  This definately helped his stats!!!!!

Canteen Worker link said:
I am interested as to who should be playing first grade instead of Willo and Bryant.

How do you know that these guys don't get rockets. Maybe playing first grade is harder than some people think.

Glen Hall has had twice the impact of Bryant this year and he should have come off the bench all year instead of Bryant.  On current form when king comes back I would pfrefer Hall on the bench instead of Bryant.

Des was prepared to let Willo go to France if he received an offer during the offseason and I would prefer to blood Mauro this year off the bench instead of Willo.  Manly need to look to the future as well because Beaver won't be around next year and Willo may not as well. 

I did miss Kite HAHA...

Shows how much i think of his BIG game.

When the players run past the white line in a BIG game they are accountable for their actions.

I don't think all our boys step up in the BIG games.

Merc

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8