Bad boy left in the past: Watmough

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
ANTHONY Watmough was once regarded as the NRL’s perennial bad boy – then his wife Elle stepped into the picture and changed his focused.

Reflecting on his wild attitude as a young man, the Manly backrower admitted he was caught up in the wrong groups and distracted, which led to a string of off-field incidents.

He lost his driver’s licence for speeding and was involved in an incident where he was caught by police urinating on a shop front in Manly.

There was an alleged incident where Watmough harassed a club sponsor’s daughter and then punched the sponsor at the club’s 2009 season launch.

He was so wild representative coaches were reluctant to select him in their teams but the 30-year-old has left that life behind him and is focused on the important things – his family.

“I probably had that mindset where I didn’t really care,” Watmough said on NRL Pre-season.

“Now I look back and I think, ‘Wow.’ I was just getting caught up in the wrong little groups and not looking at the big picture - not setting up my family and not taking care of my family enough and I think that’s when my wife (Elle) stepped into the picture.

“It was more about looking after us and getting us right and moving forward and not worrying about the past.”

Having turned his life around, the Test star is now part of the NRL’s anti-bullying initiative.

The father of two – son Jake and daughter Claudia – is now dedicated to sending a positive message and trying to right his past wrongs.

“I was a youngster at school and I saw someone getting bullied and I didn’t speak up,” he revealed.

“It still haunts me to this day that I never spoke up. One thing I try to teach my son is to always look after the people smaller than you and people more vulnerable. It’s a great program and I’ll stick with it as long as I can.”

Nathan Ryan

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-star-anthony-watmough-leaves-bad-boy-ways-in-the-past/story-fni3fbgz-1226823863885

ANTHONY Watmough was once regarded as the NRL’s perennial bad boy – then his wife Elle stepped into the picture and changed his focused.

Reflecting on his wild attitude as a young man, the Manly backrower admitted he was caught up in the wrong groups and distracted, which led to a string of off-field incidents.

Read More

Good article. Although I did like it when the
"Bad boy" whacked Ram Raiders Dane Tilse,
Rd 11 last year, when Tilse started to get uppity.

Aww Choc you legend. I love seeing him on the field these days trying to break up fights, holding guys back. It's awesome. His boy will become a better man following his dad's advice.
There's a little school in the Qld bush that would love to hear the Mighty Choc's anti-bulling message - and there'd be one very excited teacher.

Whilst always a fan of Choc's do or die attitude, there were times around pre about 08 when I thought, 'jeez choc just pull your head in'. He really does seem to have done that, he doesn't go looking for stupid niggles and fights.

The light switched on for me in 2011 at the Battle of Brookie when he was one of the Manly players trying to hose things down. Back about 07 he would have been yahooing and jumping in with a huge smile on his face!

globaleagle said:
What really matters is what @Marga thinks!

Loved the interview. All the guys spoke well and can't wait to see them play now. Choc has grown up, but I liked the bad boy too. Liked him when he started playing and love the guy still. Can't wait for a Choc hug at the trial game. Admit, wouldn't matter what he did he is my number 1.

niccipops said:
Aww Choc you legend. I love seeing him on the field these days trying to break up fights, holding guys back. It's awesome. His boy will become a better man following his dad's advice.
There's a little school in the Qld bush that would love to hear the Mighty Choc's anti-bulling message - and there'd be one very excited teacher.
I'll come and visit you when he does. :)

niccipops said:

I hope the school you refer to is Moura, 'cause I know where that is, have been there and have probably seen you drunk! It is moura after all.

Carry on.

globaleagle said:
I hope the school you refer to is Moura, 'cause I know where that is, have been there and have probably seen you drunk! It is moura after all.

Carry on.
What are you shuggeshting? I'm alwaysh compleshly shober! (Paushes to ship Jim Beam coffee)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2