Back Tooves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
I really can't beleive the knives are out for Tooves.

The team went within a whisker of knocking off a near full strength dogs in the semis last year without, Buhrer, Ballin, Choc, Gifty and Tafua. Almost won the GF in 2013.

He needs time to develop a new team.

Yes he does,he can start by watching our games from around 2008 and see how our attack and set plays have fallen away.He needs to re-invent our attack

Yes he does,he can start by watching our games from around 2008 and see how our attack and set plays have fallen away.He needs to re-invent our attack
And to do that he needs to have the same 17 fit and healthy ( both physically and mentally)

Its got nothing to do with onfield performance.

He will be sacked shortly regardless of ladder position.

God couldnt coach our lack lustre forward pack, they are woeful.

I tend to agree.

It seems that in the past we had glue to combine our sweeping plays and to keep the forwards strong and to keep the defensive line in tact.

That glue has been missing in 2015. The only person to re-ignite this glue is Tooves. As passionate as he is/ was, he doesn't seem to be able to instill this into the halves, the back line or the forwards.

Our attack last year (1st half) was awesome ,the lines we were running & attacking were some of the best I've seen.Its not a coaching problem ,its our lack of go ahead & mongrel in the forwards.It is also the fact that early last season we had two star halves who loved Manly & wanted to be here.

Last edited:
Our management in an attempt to re sign Foran has had a failed attempt to replace him already, and the players know it, which makes Tooves a lame duck.

Questions must be raised about how much influence Toovey had on our success and how much of it was driven by the players and the culture they had instilled in them from the Hasler era.

I know this might sound stupid but I give little credit to Toovey for our strong performances over recent seasons and think it was more the work of the senior players which saw us do so well.

Now that we are missing that strong culture, Tooveys lack of coaching is shining through for all to see.

I don't rate Toovey at all as a coach.

Only problem is that there is no suitable replacement being thrown up.

Arthur is good but he won't come. And there ain't no way I'd want a Nathan Brown, Anthony Griffin or Steve Price coaching us.

Good post. Ive suspected this for a while. Our performances over 2012-14 may have well been a hangover from Des's days with the senior players leading the way. Time will tell. 2015 forward roster doesn't help Tooves cause.

Plus were FAT, we are so effin FAT!!! Which defies Tooves logic. He seemed to have the hump with Rose's weight issues. Maybe Singe has to go. Look at Gifty, looks like a new man. He may even have hair next

Even if we beat Raiders this week the pressure on Tooves in the following weeks will be huge. After Raiders we play
  • Panthers (A)
  • Bulldogs (A)
  • Storm (A)
  • Knights (H)
  • Panthers (H)
That's a tough road ahead especially with only two of those games at "Fortress" (maybe it is a bouncy castle this year). If we beat the Raiders we will be 2/5 the way we have been playing I can't see us winning too many of those games in rounds 6 to 10.

After 10 rounds worse case we are 2/10 but optimistically we might jag one win and be 3/10 and we haven't even played the big teams.

If you also look at how we collapsed at the end of last year (last 7 games of 2014 record was 2/7) and then the likely poor start to this year in first 10 games. That would put the teams record at 4 or 5 wins out of 17 games. As much as I hate to think it I can't see Tooves surviving with a 4/17 or 5/17 record.

The only thing that could save him would be lack of a decent replacement or if the boys are at least seen to be having a dig but just beaten by better teams. If they serve up the same rubbish that they did against the Dragons and get soundly beaten for the next 5 to 6 games then he is gone.

With all that crap in the back office and the **** he has had to deal with I doubt many coaches could do a good job.

Last edited:
Our management in an attempt to re sign Foran has had a failed attempt to replace him already, and the players know it, which makes Tooves a lame duck.
Sorry but it was Foz's indecisiveness or at least his unwillingness to admit he was going to Parra whilst giving us all hope he'd resign until after two rounds that held the entire club to ransom.

Good post. Ive suspected this for a while. Our performances over 2012-14 may have well been a hangover from Des's days with the senior players leading the way. Time will tell. 2015 forward roster doesn't help Tooves cause.

Plus were FAT, we are so effin FAT!!! Which defies Tooves logic. He seemed to have the hump with Rose's weight issues. Maybe Singe has to go. Look at Gifty, looks like a new man. He may even have hair next
Which is why we shouldn't call up Tom Turbo. He'd finish the season 150kg and unable to run one lap of the field.

I have noticed that as well. Our forwards look like they are carrying a little extra around the waist. You look at a guy like JWH and he is built like stone. Is there a weights programme at Manly?

I remember when T. Rex first signed with Manly there was a story in the Manly Daily about how he was gonna go off because he had quit having Maccas twice a day. I think the whole club just substituted it for KFC

I fear for Toovey, It is very obvious that he is not getting the support from the management of the club and on more than one occasion has been left exposed though lack of communication.

The Penn clan have to decide fast if they are going to allow him to build a team or remove him from the job. This needs to be sorted now!

Fitness could be an issue we do seem a lot slower and bigger than other teams (dogs look a bit under done as well) maybe thats the way our fitness people work looking at being fit and peaking at the tail of the season.I did notice at the rep games at the end of last season Hiku looked like a second rower at fullback when he played with the kiwis he has beefed up a lot.

Fitness could be an issue we do seem a lot slower and bigger than other teams (dogs look a bit under done as well) maybe thats the way our fitness people work looking at being fit and peaking at the tail of the season.I did notice at the rep games at the end of last season Hiku looked like a second rower at fullback when he played with the kiwis he has beefed up a lot.
No point being fit at end of the season if we don't win any games at the start is there?

I really can't beleive the knives are out for Tooves.

The team went within a whisker of knocking off a near full strength dogs in the semis last year without, Buhrer, Ballin, Choc, Gifty and Tafua. Almost won the GF in 2013.

He needs time to develop a new team.
He also need support from the owners, CEO and board

Questions must be raised about how much influence Toovey had on our success and how much of it was driven by the players and the culture they had instilled in them from the Hasler era.

I know this might sound stupid but I give little credit to Toovey for our strong performances over recent seasons and think it was more the work of the senior players which saw us do so well.

Now that we are missing that strong culture, Tooveys lack of coaching is shining through for all to see.

I don't rate Toovey at all as a coach.

Only problem is that there is no suitable replacement being thrown up.

Arthur is good but he won't come. And there ain't no way I'd want a Nathan Brown, Anthony Griffin or Steve Price coaching us.
TOOVEY is a good coach. He is trying to coach a side that has a lot of fighting and dishonesty going on behind his back, he is trying to coach when the owners and CEO want him gone (and he knows that) and he is trying to coach a team that currently has a lot of injuries. You try do better under those circumstances.
If we had a full playing squad with no injuries we would probably be winning and everyone would love Tooves. Give the guy a break. He's doing the best he can under these circumstances. And yes he is a good coach just like he was a great player!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4