1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back ended contracts

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Woodsie, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,770 / 100
    @Andrew.. I have re-posted this discussion to its own thread because I think it is relevant today with regards to your comments re the Turbo bros upgrades.

A while ago when somebody was bagging Dessie for leaving us with the burden of a few back ended contracts, I said that I believe that they are a legal and viable strategy.

If timed properly with the right personnel they allow you a window of several years to construct a team well in excess of the salary cap limit. It may be the only way clubs like us can combat the TPA rich clubs.

If the result is 1 or 2 premierships, is the inevitable downside of several years in the wilderness worthwhile.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,648 / 66
    Woodsie do not discount front ended contracts as well. I would suggest there are very few clubs that pay their players an equal amount for each year of their contract (which is why the whole placing value on players is a pointless exercise)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 47
    Then the next coach in line during the back ended deal would have to be a sacrificial coach for 3 years until the books balance back out again.
    Tooves really did an outstanding job concidering.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,770 / 100
    Agree, to be successful you may need a combination of front and rear loading.

It will be an interesting test of the NRL's player value policy if they allow the current NZ captain and a $1.3 million dollar player to sign for the Warriors on a $200 grand incentive contract.

5. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    I know some get upset over back ended contracts, especially if you fall short in your window of opportunity. So whilst it may sting to be out of finals contention for a couple of years, I wouldn't swap a single thing for those memories and the success we enjoyed.
    Whatever else comes we are carved in the history books. How many others would give anything for that success ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Ironstine Ironstine x 1
  6. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    Front or rear loading is perfectly acceptable these days. Who am I to judge.@:blush:

7. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,351 / 111
    A club like the titans who were way under the cap could pay a player like Hayne a big part of their cap for the remainder of 2016, then bugger all in 2017 then more then 1.2 in 2018, thus being both back and front enders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    They also singed Peats mid season for about 600K per year and Hurrel on big money so must have been 2M under or possibly Toddy has guaranteed some TPA's

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. StuBoot

StuBoot Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +796 / 7
    I'd say that the Warriors are paying some of Hurrell's dosh still.
    Most mid season releases would have some sort of residual with their former club - it's generally a win-win.
    The new club gets him cheaper than market value and the old club gets rid of a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Class of 96

Class of 96 Active Member

Pottsville
    Ratings:
    +115 / 4
    And then we have Hoppa Snr, who has a completely different definition of a back-ended contract.
    Hoppa Snr.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,840 / 103
    One thing is clear: you should keep some space in the salary cap for mid-seasons transfers where you can pick up some bargain buys. The Titans did it this year, and look like playing finals football with three such purchases.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Clever Clever x 1