Australian of the year?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
After watching Adam Goodes on tv saying how he doesn't speak to Eddie McGuire anymore after the racist remark, it got me thinking.

He really does look like an ape. No not because of his skin colour or indigenous heritage, just because he looks like a primate.

A tall bloke gets called a praying mantis.
A fat bloke gets called a pig
Maxwell gets called a horse
I'm pretty sure Ian Roberts was called 'chimp' as in chimpanzee because of his long arms.

Adam Goodes gets called an ape by a 13yo girl and flips his lid. He has long arms and facial hair. Looks like an ape. Being indigenous is irrelevant.

If you look at the photo attatched, you will see Matthew Johns has the big ears and facial features of a monkey, alot more than Goodes does. If someone suggested this it would be a non-event.

I'm not posting this to cause controversy, I'm just over the p.c Paranoia. I hope some level headed people on here agree.

Doesn't matter what you think he looks like, to call an Aboriginal man an ape is a racist slur. I'm sure the 13 yo girl understands this by now, but some people just don't want to understand.

I hope you're just fishing again @Napper!

The difference there I think is because Adam's black...So the slur is deeper in that sense.

A couple of Koori friends of mine said it's the sub-human inference that is so insulting.

But, another Aboriginal mate said it didn't bother him. He thought it was just so stupid it wasn't worth worrying about.

So it would be up to them to judge for themselves, end of the day. And I just don't think we need it.

Be interesting to see what someone like Cliff Lyons did think about it...

Not sure he'd be OK with it either really.

What really confused me was back a few years when a stadium full of Indians jumped up and down like apes and made ape noises to show how ape like Andrew Symonds was.
Now that was weird.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Doesn't matter what you think he looks like, to call an Aboriginal man an ape is a racist slur. I'm sure the 13 yo girl understands this by now, but some people just don't want to understand.

One of my best mates is aboriginal. He doesn't look like an ape so I dont call him one.

That's what I was pointing out? Its only racist because he is aboriginal? That itself is racist imo.

I do see your point @Napper.

Some of the things my mate above and I call each other at times, well I can't print!

But I wouldn't go and call a stranger the same, especially in a minority group. It's just the way of the world now and, for the most part, for the better.

But yes, I see what you're saying and agree that occasionally political correctness gets OTT.

My point was just it's up to an individual what's offensive to them - as in this case Adam did take great offence. Someone else may not.

Perhaps that in itself is the positive. It's just up to us all to find our common ground when possible.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7