1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia Should Be a Republic!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Canteen Worker, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    Despite the love of a long weekend for the Queen's Birthday (not even on the real date anyway) I firmly believe that Australia should be a republic and do away with the antiquated colonial system anyway. Howard and his gang of minus 4s are doing away with State rights anyway and he has taken over as the Governor General/Head of State anyway so we should just make the jump and get it over with.

The President's Birthday doesn't have the same ring to it but I am sure some creative minds can come up with a preferred excuse for a June Holiday!

2. c_eagle

c_eagle Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    President's day?

Anyway, would you prefer the drawn out and Hollywoodised system the Yanks have? It's not like the Monarchy has any say in Australia.

3. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,764 / 72
    Make a stand CW go to work on Monday to rebel against those heathen, spoon fed, blue blood royalists.

4. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    the Wheel is full of great ideas!

Lefty day :lol:

5. c_eagle

c_eagle Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Too late Byso, May Day already exists. I didn't go to uni that day. :blah:

6. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I would go for minimalist change - it isn't as if the GG has any say either. I don't want a drawn out system but can't work out why we put up with the nonsense and tosh we do now.

7. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    I dont care as long as I still get a holiday

8. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Garts speeks for the Aussies!

9. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    your speaking this tripe on a site created by the son of English parents, my entire family is english and I am a loyal british citizen myself. I am and Aussie first and foremost but English blood flows through my veins.

God Save the Queen!

10. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Thats were your snob instincts come from champ :lol:

11. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    Thats right.

What makes this post even less credible is CW's dislike for howard, yet he wants howard as president. Yeah gie the guy more power, good idea

12. c_eagle

c_eagle Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where does he say that Howard should be the head of state?

13. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    For Daniel:

Oh God save history
    God save your mad parade
    Oh Lord God have mercy
    all crimes are paid.

When there's no future
    how can there be sin
    we're the flowers
    in the dustbin
    we're the poison
    in your human machine
    we're the future
    you're future

God save the Queen
    we mean it man
    we love our queen
    God saves

As a proud holder of British citizenship I appreciate getting in the short queue at Heathrow, roast beef & yorkshire pud, Arsenal FC and the Ascot races. Jolly good.

14. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74

Mr sarcasm its logically implied!

-> if we become a republic the party in power will have the ability to vote for the president!

Quite simply as a race we aren't mature and smart enough to have a president, look at the US, that could happen to us!

and MB, it will be a cold day in hell before i give up my british passport and citizenship

15. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    Why is every country so proud of where they came from yet australia is quite happy to cut ties and move on to become America II?

In some cases a republic would be great, but I think our ties with England, technically speaking our Origins are a good relationship and helps keep our history. Im proud of being assiciated with England and if we ever poll again on wether we are to become a republic, ill be saying no.

16. c_eagle

c_eagle Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A race?

There are many ways to elect a president. The model for presidency that is popular with Australian republicans is that the election system remains the same with the party with the most number of seats controlling the relevant houses of government, while the President is just a ribbon cutter without an apparant political agenda. I.e. the Governor General but with a different name.

17. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    I spent my life growing up enjoying nothing better than beating the Poms at anything. Just the way it is in Oz. I don't enjoy all the colonial kowtowing we do to a disfunctional bunch of inbred European royalty on the other side of the world. They don't give a rats about us. So I favour a republic. It doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and embrace a lot of what we have gained from England, as I do, and I hope that a lot of their values continue to form a large part of what is Australia.

18. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    We had the chance, but unfortunately the majority of Australians are imbeciles. Same reason we have John Howard as PM.

19. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    A race?

There are many ways to elect a president. The model for presidency that is popular with Australian republicans is that the election system remains the same with the party with the most number of seats controlling the relevant houses of government, while the President is just a ribbon cutter without an apparant political agenda. I.e. the Governor General but with a different name.

[/quote]

Which means howard at this point genius.

And of course we are the Australian race of people. Race doesnt mean the colour of your skin, it ca refer to your country of birth/origin!.

With the suggestions that people such as eddie Mcguire should be president I daresay there is a lacking of maturity

20. c_eagle

c_eagle Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A race?

[/quote]

Which means howard at this point genius.

And of course we are the Australian race of people. Race doesnt mean the colour of your skin, it ca refer to your country of birth/origin!.

With the suggestions that people such as eddie Mcguire should be president I daresay there is a lacking of maturity
    [/quote]

It doesn't mean Howard at all, you know nothing.

Australia isn't a race, it's a nationality. There's a huge difference. A race of people have genetic commonality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.