Aust team for the third test

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

Bollinger is in the side along with an allrounder from Vic by the name of McDonald. 

The selectors will not drop Hussey, Symonds or Hayden because they all feature heaviliy in major sponsor KFC's advertising campaign for the season.

M Hayden
S Katich
R Ponting (c)
M Hussey
M Clarke
A Symonds
B Haddin
D Bollinger
M Johnson
A McDonald
N Hauritz
B Hilfenhaus
P Siddle

Well according to the smh Symonds is withdrawing to have surgery, a case of jump before you are pushed if you ask me, but that means McDonald will definitely play- if you played both Hilfenhaus and Bollinger, Johnson would be batting at 7 which might be asking a bit much. 

I think it is more that D Hussey hasnt been in form, he has 298@37 this year and is 31.

Mcdonald has 324@46 batting and 15@23 bowling this year and has a career average after 44 matches of 38 batting and 30 bowling. He is 27.

Seems the selectors still think that our only problems are in the bowling attack.

Personally i think that the Australian selectors obsession with creating an all rounder (Symonds, Watson, White etc) has hurt the side lately and in recent years. Better off picking 6 decent batsman rather than 5 and 1 handy one that can bowl

They were trying to invent an all rounder in the last bad patch too.  In the 80s they tried blokes like O'Donnell, Dodemaide and were even flirting with Andrew Zessers and Peter sleep for goodness sake. 

It turned around when they found a keeper that could bat a bit in Healy so there was a bit better balance in the side.  Haddin has shown he can bat .....

Matabele link said:
They were trying to invent an all rounder in the last bad patch too.  In the 80s they tried blokes like O'Donnell, Dodemaide and were even flirting with Andrew Zessers and Peter sleep for goodness sake. 

And don't forget about Gary Cosier and Shaun Graff who were also tried as all rounders.

An all-rounder should be either in the best 6 batsmen or best 5 bowlers in the country.  The other half of what they do should then be a bonus.  If there is no one fitting that then pick five all out bowlers, put Haddin at 6, and threaten to dismember any batsman getting caught out stupidly slogging. 

Lets hope that Mcdonald can bowl because he can't bat.  He looked dreadful and out of his depth especially against short pitched bowling. 

We are now a batsman short and will struggle to make 300.

Fluffy link said:
Well i hope we make 300 from here, 40 runs from the last 4 would be a poor effort

If the South Africans had taken their catches off Clarke and Johston then we would have struggled to make 300.  With those two dropped catches they are going to pay.

Catches win matches?  How true

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Personally i think that the Australian selectors obsession with creating an all rounder (Symonds, Watson, White etc) has hurt the side lately and in recent years. Better off picking 6 decent batsman rather than 5 and 1 handy one that can bowl

Spot on Kiwi.

Symonds(as much as I love a QLD'er) is not a test standard bowler, Watson could be but his body (no matter how good it looks),is not up to it and white "can bat, can field, can't bowl".

The obsession with creating an allrounder is getting annoying.

They should bat Haddin at six and then pick 5 genuine bowlers - that way we might have a chance of getting a side out. 

Krejza used to be a top order bat, so if you put him and Johnson at 7 and 8, one of them would be bound to get a few runs each time. 

Of course, with only 6 batsmen, they all need to get runs.  So get rid of Hayden and suggest to Hussey he might want to start scoring again. 

Here's my side for the South Africa tour:

Jaques
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Haddin
Johnson
Krejza
Clark
McGain
Bollinger

Interesting side Gronk.

thinking outside the square is one thing, but no wicketkeeper at all?? :)

tookey link said:
Lets hope that Mcdonald can bowl because he can't bat.  He looked dreadful and out of his depth especially against short pitched bowling. 

We are now a batsman short and will struggle to make 300.

His bowling has been very tight so far and he has just picked up Amla. Bowling wise he seems to fill in like Kallis does, now if only his batting can be that good.

Fro link said:
Interesting side Gronk.

thinking outside the square is one thing, but no wicketkeeper at all?? :)
That's what I get for writing pre-coffee.  Also, Lee won't be there. 

With mistakes like that I could get a job as chairman of the selectors. 

I've put up the real side now. 

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6