ATTN: Tippers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Added links to the leaderboard, and the system now sends you a PM instead of an email with your tips in them.

I will enhance this later.

I just need to clean up the URL's a bit and then test again after this weekend and we should be ready to start rolling it out on this site (I will also be trying the mobile theme this week)

Dan

I have just about completed the URL transformation for this.

It was a pain. but works quite well and makes the URL's just slightly cleaner and more readable. I am thinking of possibly removing all numbers from the URL's but that will be a big change

http://www.silvertails.net/silvertails/tipping-competition.html

Cheers
Dan

After entering my tips in the new site for this round, it returned: "404 Not Found" error.
I closed the page, went back via your link again, selected "show tips" and they appear correct.

Wqs this on mobile? The mobile theme set itsself up but copied old templates. I will fix them today

Ok yeah looked at the code it was the mobile version. I have the URL's in the template which don't run through the "pretty URL" code, I changed this so they do. The 404 should be gone, make sure you enter them again because your tips would not have saved.

That is a good segway to say the mobile version of the tipping comp is also up :)

Just got the same message on the desktop

I tried to click on the private message from yourself post tips (was so excited to get one..) and got a 404 error

ok so clicking on the Private messgage throws the error, I hate when programmers use relative paths instead of absolute.

Dan said:
ok so clicking on the Private messgage throws the error, I hate when programmers use relative paths instead of absolute.

Absolutely.

@Dan

Tis been a funny few days so I haven't been the help I usually try to be when you beta test stuff.

Initially I read the thread and was still wtf is going on.

However:

After clicking the link from your post #22 (above) it took me to where it was supposed to go.

Entered my tips and immediately it said I had a pm from you. Clicked on it and got the 404 error like lsz. Went to my inbox and got the message correctly BUT it doesn't report the margin of the pick the score game.

Under your number of posts, this appeared....

%%TYL_NUMTHANKEDLIKED%%

Also clicking on this link:

And playing around with all clickable stuff, everything seems fine (except for the history of tips picked).

cheers

globaleagle said:
Dan said:

Absolutely.

@Dan

Tis been a funny few days so I haven't been the help I usually try to be when you beta test stuff.

Initially I read the thread and was still wtf is going on.

However:

After clicking the link from your post #22 (above) it took me to where it was supposed to go.

Entered my tips and immediately it said I had a pm from you. Clicked on it and got the 404 error like lsz. Went to my inbox and got the message correctly BUT it doesn't report the margin of the pick the score game.

Under your number of posts, this appeared....

%%TYL_NUMTHANKEDLIKED%%

Also clicking on this link:

And playing around with all clickable stuff, everything seems fine (except for the history of tips picked).

cheers

Cheers

- The PM link uses a relative path, i.e. the programmers of the forum decided to use a link that reads "pm.php?pmid=x" for instance

An absolute path would be either "/home/directory/pm.php?pmid=x" or even better "http://silvertails.net/silvertails/pm.php

This means that when I play with the URL's, i.e I have rewritten those URL's for the tipping comp to go to http://www.silvertails.net/silvertails/tipping-competition/Jan-Davis-Memorial-Tipping-Competition-2013/8/197/show_games.html for instance. This is nto a real path on the server, instead I use code that the server interprets and changes the path above to the correct path which is more like http://silvertails.net/silvertails/misc.php?mytipper=show_games etc

This means that on the page with the rewritten URL of http://www.silvertails.net/silvertails/tipping-competition/Jan-Davis-Memorial-Tipping-Competition-2013/8/197/show_games.html any relative links will be incorrect because apache will be looking for the file in
http://www.silvertails.net/silvertails/tipping-competition/Jan-Davis-Memorial-Tipping-Competition-2013/8/197/pm.php which does not exist

I will need to either put in a base tag and hope for the best, or try to fix any relative URL's that keep looking in the wrong place :)

- I have not yet added margin or score to the PM
- %%TYL_NUMTHANKEDLIKED%% is because the thank you like system is not installed on the beta site but the tags are there, won't be an issue in live system

What do you mean by there being an issue with "history of tips"?

Dan

Ah got it.

With reference to the history of tips:

At first glance I thought none were added as the page looked like the pages I've yet to tip in (ie - didn't have any shading or pick the margin scores).

BUT - I see that the previous weeks tipping has all the tips I chose.
They don't contain the 'margin picks' (not needed I guess).

So that seems a-ok. (sorry)

On the leadership board when I click on my username then any week other than round 12, the scores are correct but they all have a red x near them. No green tick for correct ones.

Party on!

@Dan

@globaleagle

The margins for previous rounds weren't brought across, they will be in there going forward but for testing purposes it wasn't worth the hassle of playing with the database to bring it into line. It would have been simple had we not been hacked, but with the hack, we had a user_id change which means all links are gone and I need to rebuild these manually.

As for the red x vs the tick, so all previous weeks its showing all your tips were wrong?

hmm

It is indeed. Odd, but should be an easy fix :)

I thank you for not making the (obv but true) joke about my crappy tipping in your last post!

And *2 thumbs up* I(we) can see where the tipping forum is heading and it looks sharp.

I am now going to play with my new ipod-5 (not code for willy) as my better half just bought it for me....reason - for being an awesome 'half'.

So suck on that all your lesser halves!!!! (Wouldn't that make you thirds...or quarters?)

Again, good job Dan!

Ok so I have the paths to the PM fixed with a dodgy workaround by adding the base path to the header, but I do not like this as a fix, so I will have to work on better ways to handle this. I still think the developers of the site should be shot for using relative paths anyway haha

@globaleagle the ticks and crosses have been fixed. For some reason in the migration, the result did not come across.

Thank god, because I couldn't see any issues with my code and was a little perplexed

Code:
//correct/incorrect indicator
			if($result["tip"]==$result["result"])	{
				//correct
				$result_indicator = "tick.gif";
			}	else	{
				$result_indicator = "cross_48.png";
			}

I am just doing some testing with code so bear with me, the URL's to Pm will be broken again

^ I could look at that for you, but it'd cost $750.

WINK

You have been changed from a cross to a tick! :)

EDIT: I meant post #35 obv!

urrghh so I have a function that will fix the links for me, but jeez it takes some memory :)

@lsz @globaleagle @ssar

I have fixed all of the above. apart from scores in the PM which I am adding now. After this weekend can you please check your scores and see if they all match up correctly (I am currently showing your margin on the leaderboard)

If everything with scores is correct after this weekend I will start the process of rolling it out onto this site and moving to it full time.

Cheers
Dan

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8