Assessment of Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ryan thinks hes crap.

So far so good he's got us entrenched in the 8 with a horror string of injuries and suspensions

I'd give him a B+ had we beaten parra and penrith it would be an A

Considering how **** hit the fan after the GF last year, poor schedule at the start of 2012, no home game for 5 weeks, "boardroom" bull**** and the media death riding the club, injury and suspension headaches and contract issues

We're running 5th at the moment.

Surely noone can fault the guy. 9/10 so far.

I am really happy with tooves. Given the start to the season manly has had, to be sitting where we are, is a real credit to him.

From what i have heard he is keeping the playing group tight.

The man bleeds maroon and white, and that is an important quality in a coach.

He's had a lot to contend with. A large number of important players off contract and daily speculation by the press, a horror run of injuries and a big suspension to T-Rex. He's the new boy and it must be hard to stamp a fixed pattern with all that happening, yet he has us at the right part of the ladder. Losses to supposed easybeats doesn't sit well and has been disappointing but overall it has been very good to me. B+

Napper has summarised it well also.

agree Cam, he's settled in very well from a coach who was entrenched. Think about Saints after Bennett! Defence is much better and we are scoring. Going well.

Napper said:
Considering how s**t hit the fan after the GF last year, poor schedule at the start of 2012, no home game for 5 weeks, "boardroom" bull**** and the media death riding the club, injury and suspension headaches and contract issues

We're running 5th at the moment.

Surely noone can fault the guy. 9/10 so far.

100% agree especially as this is his first season.

Its hard to compare Toovey to Des when trying to go back to back and when we have had a lot of injuries and disruptions. I think parts of our defense and attack are not as good under Toovey but until we get our full team on the park for an extended period i cant say for sure. Given our squad i think most coaches would have us sitting in the top 8 to be fair. Toovey has done a decent job and i would give him a 7/10.

He has been rushed into the job a year early, had a horror schedule to contend with and the injuries have just been ridiculous. I was very disappointed at the time with the losses to Parra, the Titans and Panthers, but considering what has happened being 8-5 is something to be very happy with. We're only going to get better, and injury free I really doubt there's a team in the comp that can beat us. Looking very forward to the second half of the season, I think 9 wins from our last 11 games is very achievable, I have so much trust in Tooves, I've got no doubt in my mind he is going to be a great coach for us for many years to come.

What I'm looking for is us to really put a team to the sword, we haven't done that except against penrith at brookvale.

Cameron said:
What I'm looking for is us to really put a team to the sword, we haven't done that except against penrith at brookvale.

Yep ive been saying this all season, i just want us to come out and put 4+ trys on a team in the first half. I want to see our attack just click and blow someone away. :)

If you look at last year it wasn't till after rd12 before we put a couple of decent scores on teams. Broncos 34-10 and rd13 Dogs 38-4. With a full squad we wil put some points on.

Not sure how he can not be held accountable for the team being complacent shane?

Toovey, to me, seems sincere and honest. He doesn't use subterfuge or denial with anyone he fronts - whether it be the media or players. He is not about to shrink back from making the hard calls.
Time will tell whether he is able to turn the psychological barrier of the players of REALLY turning up when they play the lower teams. Hasler wasn't able to do this, so let's see if Tooves can. So far, not yet.
He has had to overcome the obstacles of working with consistent combinations. Even when that may come it takes constant drill after drill at practice to perfect it.
He had to gain the respect of the players in his playing group who have been around for years. I think he is doing that.
He has a mountain of expectation on his shoulders from not only being last year's premiers, but also from keeping the locker room bonded despite all the upheaval and player rumours. He seems to be handling this.
He had to be winning more than he is losing otherwise most of the above would be going pear shaped and have the unfortunate whiff of Parra trouble. At this level, winning more than you are losing is everything. Manly might JUST be winning on the scoreboard, but they are winning. Never as many as the fans would like, and never by as many points as the fans would like - but we are a fickle bunch.
Therefore, overall, Toovey is doing a fine job, and well above average, bordering on very good.

No way we can judge his coaching abilities just yet. He's just stepped up from his L's to his P's. Let's give him a while but he's doing just fine for now. I love seeing footage of him in the coaches box. Very passionate and looks a little bit psycho at times. I like that.

Forget the board. I don't see that as an issue. Considering we are the premiers and everyone wants to beat us, the departure of the three quality players that left last year, signing issues, suspensions and all the injuries we had to endure.

Placed now 5th on the ladder. Seriously. How could anyone bag the bloke. Thumbs up, obviously

IMO... He will be our longest serving Eagles coach ever and here's hoping he wins more GF's than Fulton and Des put together.

We certainly have better chance of going Back to Back with Tooves at the Helm because it seems to me his more involved with the playing group than his predecessor who would of been far more interested in running the club overall.

My only gripe is his defensive structure. It is the real reason we are in 5th rather than 2nd.

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4