Ashes squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Gronk

Bencher
Ricky Ponting (c)  - TAS, 34
Michael Clarke (vc) - NSW, 28
Stuart Clark - NSW, 33
Brad Haddin - NSW, 31
Nathan Hauritz - NSW, 27
Ben Hilfenhaus - TAS, 26
Phillip Hughes - NSW, 20
Michael Hussey - WA, 33
Mitchell Johnson - WA, 27
Simon Katich - NSW, 33
Brett Lee - NSW, 32
Graham Manou - SA, 30
Andrew McDonald - VIC, 27
Marcus North - WA, 29
Peter Siddle - VIC, 24
Shane Watson* - QLD, 27
* Subject to fitness

Personally i would have taken McGain instead of McDonald.  That ranga is the 3rd all-rounder in the squad after Watson and North which seems a bit over the top to me.  I know McGain got hammered in the last series, but the poms cant play leg spin at all.  Warne took 40 wickets last series over there and we are kidding ourselves if Hauritz is good for more than 10 or so. 

My 11 would be

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Clark
Hauritz
McGain

What they will go with:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Clark
Hauritz

your dreaming if you reckon they will leave Siddle out.

Siddle and Johnson are the only bowlers assured of a spot, I'd agree with leaving Lee out, he has lost it. between hilfenhaus and Clark for the 3rd seamers spot.

I doubt lee will walk straight in, he will be given a chance in the warm ups for sure but having only bowled 4 overs in a game since injury he will need to prove himself.

No doubt they will play a spinner but may have thoughts of North in order to give hilfy a run in case it swings since this is what we lacked when we lost in 05. I am not convinced Clark has got form either and should be in the same boat a Lee

Clark has got form, don't worry about that. Him and Johnson should be first bowlers picked. Then I'd go for Siddle and Hilfy. Let North/Clarke/Katich look after the spinning, Hauritz isn't going to spin us to a win. Alternatively Watson in for Siddle to strengthen batting, or if Hilfy doesn't get it curving than give Watson a crack in his place. The McGain/Hauritz twin spin attack is an interesting concept Fluffy. Two mediocre spinners = what ??

Hughes
Katich
Punter
Pup
Huss
North
Haddin
Mitch
Sarfraz
Siddle
Hilfy

Watson

Hauritz is a small chance, Cardiff is supposed to be a turner, if only he could turn it.

They should have picked another batsmen, Hussey could continue his form and North hasn't cemented himself yet. Watson is capable but not the 7th best bat in the country. I guess there will be county players to pick and choose if they need it.

Would have taken Matthew Wade to get tour experience over Manou.

Chip & Chase link said:
Clark has got form, don't worry about that. Him and Johnson should be first bowlers picked. Then I'd go for Siddle and Hilfy. Let North/Clarke/Katich look after the spinning, Hauritz isn't going to spin us to a win. Alternatively Watson in for Siddle to strengthen batting, or if Hilfy doesn't get it curving than give Watson a crack in his place. The McGain/Hauritz twin spin attack is an interesting concept Fluffy. Two mediocre spinners = what ??

Hughes
Katich
Punter
Pup
Huss
North
Haddin
Mitch
Sarfraz
Siddle
Hilfy

Watson

Not sure what it equals, you would be best asking the gronk since he posted it

Can't believe Manou made it. I'm going to dust off my keeping gloves from my Mudgee Under 12's Western Districts days when we rolled all and make a claim for the next tour. Being able to handle the bat obviously isn't a requirement.

Fluffy link said:
Not sure what it equals, you would be best asking the gronk since he posted it

Sorry mate, my bad. But don't be shy, what do you think of it as an idea ?

well McGain is an attacking spinner, Hauritz defensive.  If McGain cant breakthrough at least you still have a spinner in the side to hold an end up.  Moot point anyway as we are only taking one spinner.  Let's hope the quicks come through as they need to find 40 wickets that Warne took last time. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4