ASADA under pressure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The pressure is on for the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority to wrap up its probe into the NRL and AFL before chief executive Aurora Andruska retires from the post on May 9.

Read More

The pressure is on for the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority to wrap up its probe into the NRL and AFL before chief executive Aurora Andruska retires from the post on May 9.

Andruska has presided over what her predecessor, Richard Ings, dubbed the darkest day in Australian sport more than a year ago. But the sum total of infraction notices issued in either code since the infamous press conference on February 7 stands at one. Canberra winger Sandor Earl was handed an infraction notice last August for doping offences, including trafficking, during his stint at Penrith.

Six months have since passed and it is unclear whether Earl has done enough to warrant a 75 per cent discount for "substantial assistance", while a tribunal date is still to be scheduled. And there has been no attempt to interview sports scientist Stephen Dank, who worked at both Essendon and Cronulla during the periods in question.

Previously, ASADA has taken up to a year to replace its chief executive, with Federal Sports Minister Peter Dutton confirming the Secretary of the Department of Health will oversee the recruitment process, including the appointment of the assessment panel members and chairing the panel.
Advertisement

ASADA and Andruska have been heavily criticised for the length of time the investigation is taking and it appears unlikely the drama will be resolved before she clocks off. Those close to the investigation have privately raised concerns her retirement will only prolong the probe, which has left a cloud over two footballing codes.

"She hasn't finished what she started," one insider said. "She is obviously under a lot of pressure but it's not fair if this whole process drags out even longer."

Andruska has dodged the media throughout the saga. In a rare interview early in the probe, she said that up to 150 people could be involved.

Asked to justify the number, she said: "A lot of pressure was put on me to come up with a number, particularly from the media. So I decided to come up with some number that was realistic with the information I had at the time . . . That's my best guess at the moment."

Cronulla remain the only NRL team yet to be absolved of systemic doping and the club has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on legal costs. Their coach, Shane Flanagan, has been provisionally stood down by the NRL and the Sharks face the prospect of a fine up to $1 million for failure to safeguard the welfare of their players.

The Federal Government appointed former Federal Court judge Garry Downes earlier this month to review the Sharks' and Bombers' cases. Downes has an April deadline to finalise his report, but there is no fixed date for the end of the investigation.

Adrian Proszenko

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/asada-pressure-rising-with-aurora-andruska-due-to-retire-as-chief-executive-in-may-20140218-32yig.html

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6