ASADA Going Shark Fishing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Stevo said:
Peptides. Some are banned, some are not. Some are not banned but also have never been approved for human consumption. A lot of grey areas. There is only 1 person who should go down for this.

Under WADA and ASADA if a substance has the same effects as a banned substance it is then illegal. It has always been the players job to know this.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Sharks players should stand together and tell them to prove it or f**k off

Yep... Totally agree. Nothing should have ever been said unless they had proof. None of this trying to scare people into admitting guilt BS just because they have some 'intelligence'. Intelligence is NOT proof.

Ralphie said:
ManlyBacker said:
One thing I hope is that players aren't penalised for taking substances that they didn't know were illegal and who were following sport 'doctors' instructions.

In the salary cap fiasco it was clear to me that Storm players should have questioned why they were signing multiple contracts for varying amounts. In this instance I'm not so sure that the onus is on the players to question the medical advice that was put forward. I'm sure it will come out but I would like to see some common sense applied for the player's sake if they were misled.

I can't agree with this. I know it may seem unfair, but if they are let off by pleading ignorance then that will set the precedent. In future sports people will simply live by the ask no questions rule and then plead the same.

It is the athletes responsibility full stop. This should be a lesson for each athlete to question what they are being given.

I understand what you are saying. When you go to hospital very sick you don't question what they put into you. I see it a little similar in a team environment when pressured by medicos to take something. They are only youngsters a lot of them. I can't see them going "Nah, I won't take it until you get me a fact sheet on everything I am taking".

Still, I guess the buck stops with the individual athlete in all of the Olympic events so I get your point.

Just watched an interview with Matty Ballin on some fox sport show,he said he really felt for the sharks,and when the question was asked about Manly,he said he is very confident they are all good,like someone said before,havent we already been cleared,and Im sure if Manly had any doubts,then they wouldnt let any Manly player be interviewed I reckon,thats my thoughts anyway

bones said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
Sharks players should stand together and tell them to prove it or f**k off

Yep... Totally agree. Nothing should have ever been said unless they had proof. None of this trying to scare people into admitting guilt BS just because they have some 'intelligence'. Intelligence is NOT proof.

As a former criminal and commercial lawyer in a past life I can tell you that if the intelligence is via phone taps it can most definitely be proof.If a person via a telephone call to a 3rd party incriminates himself it is an extremely probative piece of evidence and in many cases it often determines the outcome.It basically brought down the mafia in the US in relation to tax evasion and proceeds of crime.

Why would they spend so much money and time on it if that was not the case.This is not heresay evidence which is uncorroborated third party testimony-these are admissions by the defendant themselves and are thus treated very seriously.I would assume from their constant reference to phone taps the intelligence will be mainly sourced from that area.

I am not saying at all that I know if they have such evidence but if they do it would be a highly persuasive tool to get a player to plead to the six months.If they have such evidence they will not necessarily need any confession from the players so to suggest it is a bluff would be incorrect - they will be simply saying you can take a plea, admit guilt or defend yourself which may entail a greater penalty which is the way our legal system has worked for a long time.

Former ASADA head Ings was on fox sports and said that sharks have the best legal guy for this stuff in Aus advising them and if he says take 6 months then they should. He said typically the group won't admit anything straight up but one will roll over and get the short sentence. The rest will go down for longer

master blaster said:
Just watched an interview with Matty Ballin on some fox sport show,he said he really felt for the sharks,and when the question was asked about Manly,he said he is very confident they are all good,like someone said before,havent we already been cleared,and Im sure if Manly had any doubts,then they wouldnt let any Manly player be interviewed I reckon,thats my thoughts anyway

No team is safe, especially us 6 who have been named.

It could well be that Manly is the next port of call for ASADA.

Is there a plus side to this for Cronulla?

Maybe not this year but could have a potential 14 extra players with NRL experience next season

bob dylan said:
master blaster said:

No team is safe, especially us 6 who have been named.

It could well be that Manly is the next port of call for ASADA.
yea true Bob,but I am confident we are ok,I prefer to look on the good side of it all

bones said:
niccipops said:
bones said:
From what Paul Kent said in the radio this afternoon, the problem is with Peptides which were once legal for NRL players to take but have sine been added to the banned substances lists. Manly were the first club ASADA visited so I'm hoping that if our players took them, that it was before they were banned and that's why we haven't had the same dramas the sharks are having after their visit.
Makes sense Bones. Also, am I correct in that Danks didn't work for us in 2011? I'm pretty sure peptides were put on the banned substance list in 2011.
Hope none of our boys are involved and I got to say this situation must suck for the Sharkies fans.
As for standing players down from a club point of view, any club's, I'd want to be presented with hard evidence without any shadow of a doubt before standing players down.
If undoubtably guilty then they do the time.

Dank was at the sharks in 2011.

But only for 4 weeks :-/:-/

First it was a political witch hunt
Now the players are being prosecuted for drugs which were not on the banned list when they were taking them?

At some stage the excuses are going to run out

lsz said:
First it was a political witch hunt
Now the players are being prosecuted for drugs which were not on the banned list when they were taking them?

At some stage the excuses are going to run out

I'm beginning to feel nervous about all of this. The Peptides weren't specifically banned at the time, but the WADA code prohibits any substance that is known to promote the production HGH. The peptides being mentioned do just that. It is my understanding that this is what has nailed Cronulla. They have a whistleblower that has identified the substances used.

Dank left us at the end of 2010 and spent 11 weeks at Cronulla in 2011 using substances not on the banned list. I just wonder how much his methods changed over the 2010-11 summer.

Parramatta Eels head strength & conditioning coach Trent Elkin could be implicated as Gallen, Pomeroy & Morris all fronted him at his house on Tuesday night. Sounds like Elkin squealed. Typical para!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/star-sharks-confront-asada-whistle-blower/story-e6frexrr-1226592350198

Fairy Bower said:
Parramatta Eels head strength & conditioning coach Trent Elkin could be implicated as Gallen, Pomeroy & Morris all fronted him at his house on Tuesday night. Sounds like Elkin squealed. Typical para!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/star-sharks-confront-asada-whistle-blower/story-e6frexrr-1226592350198

The next Underbelly is unfolding before our very eyes.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4