Arthur in line to replace Price

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Date April 21, 2013
Michael Carayannis, Michael Chammas
St George Illawarra have targeted Manly assistant coach Brad Arthur as a possible long-term replacement for under-fire coach Steve Price with his strong ties to new recruits Gareth Widdop and Joel Thompson an added trump card.

Fairfax Media understands Arthur's manager Chris Orr has held preliminary discussions with Dragons management about Arthur taking charge of the Dragons from 2014. The coaching future is expected to be discussed at a board meeting on Tuesday night after Arthur rejected interest in joining English Super League club Salford.

Despite winning three games in a row Price's future has been thrown into question. The off-contract coach has taken a back seat in forward planning at the club, with boss Peter Doust and recruitment manager Craig Young taking charge of the Dragons' 2014 roster.

Well connected: Brad Arthur's relationship with new Dragons recruits Gareth Widdop and Joel Thompson only adds to his credentials.

Arthur's relationship with incoming star recruit Gareth Widdop, since Widdop started under Arthur as part of Melbourne's under-20s team, sets him up as a key appointment at the Dragons. Arthur has maintained a strong friendship with the Melbourne Storm premiership-winning five-eighth who signed a four-year deal with St George Illawarra on Friday. Widdop kicked the winning goal to lead Arthur's Storm team to a 2009 under-20s grand final victory. Arthur has also tracked the progress of fellow new Dragons recruit Joel Thompson, who was part of the Storm set-up before joining the Raiders.

Advertisement

He joined Manly as Geoff Toovey's assistant this year having followed Stephen Kearney from Melbourne to Parramatta in 2011 to be Kearney's right-hand man.

When Kearney was sacked late last year, Arthur took charge for the final six games of last season, winning his first two of three games. He relocated to Manly on a two-year deal when he was told he would not be part of Ricky Stuart's NRL coaching staff at the Eels.

The indecision caps a turbulent time for the Dragons, who along with Price have captain Ben Creagh and veterans Nathan Fien, Matt Cooper and Michael Weyman off-contract as well as young hooker Mitch Rein.

Meanwhile, the Dragons' last long-term five-eighth Trent Barrett has endorsed Jamie Soward's shock departure to Penrith. Barrett, who is preparing for his first senior coaching position when he takes charge of Country on Sunday, will be joined by Soward at Penrith. ''He'll be good,'' Barrett said. ''He'll be able to control the game. His form over the last few weeks is back to where he was a few years ago and and with the forward pack we've got it will suit his game.''

Barrett said Soward's signing was a launching pad for the club.

''We have a young side, and Jamie has played in a lot of big games,'' he said. ''He's going to help our young halves with their kicking. It's a start for us, we are going through a bit of a rebuilding phase.

''There is pressure wherever you go and the fans will expect him to play well.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/arthur-in-line-to-replace-price-20130420-2i6zv.html#ixzz2R0YHUEIK

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Great opportunity for Brad but a big loss for us if it happens. Poor Toovey not having much luck keeping his assistant coaches, they seem to do well with us and get poached. This move makes more sense than what's his name who went to work for ricky stuart

I hope we can hold on to him he has been a huge part in our success

We wouldn't stand in his way if he could get a head coach gig.
If he does leave, I doubt there would be a shortage of applicants for his role.

Price has turned a pretty average squad around completely in the last few weeks and made them into a footy side that has a bit of attack and win games

Full credit to him for that considering how shabbily the Dragons are treating him with all this coaching talk

I hope he stays but no biggie if he leaves. What's his name left a couple of years ago and he's not even a blip on the radar these days...

Arthur has good runs on the board so does deserve a shot but as KE said Price isnt really getting the backing he deserves.

He was only a blip on the radar in the first place because he was an assistant coach at Manly. Yeah awesome career move going to Parra lol

If Arthur goes we will find another great assistant coach. No biggie, something will transpire, it always does at this great club.

I hope we can keep him. He has been the defensive coach this year and Manly's defence is the best in the NRL.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Price has turned a pretty average squad around completely in the last few weeks and made them into a footy side that has a bit of attack and win games

Full credit to him for that considering how shabbily the Dragons are treating him with all this coaching talk
Price's treatment at the hands of the Illawarra Credit Union reminds me of the treatment Alan Thompson copped at Manly back in 1989. Thommo was Fulton's anointed replacement, just like Price is Bennett's. He copped the same type of crap, with Manly chasing Graham Lowe. Now Lowe turned out to be a pretty good coach, however you can't tell me that Thommo didn't have the makings of a very good, perhaps great, Manly coach.

Alan Thompson was a terrific player as well as a very nice guy. I think Daley had a lot to do with the backstabbing that went on in those days.

DSM5 said:
Alan Thompson was a terrific player as well as a very nice guy. I think Daley had a lot to do with the backstabbing that went on in those days.

I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but I will anyway. Daley was a competent CEO and on balance a great servant of the Club, but like John Tenison before him, he had a tendency to overreact in a crisis. Neither was a patch on Arko as CEO. Daley gave Meninga a 'take it or leave it' ultimatum in 1985. Meninga 'left it' and joined Canberra instead. We all know how that panned out.

Then there was Daley's handling of the players when he gave several of them another ultimatum in 1989, during Thommo's tenure. They obviously wanted to clear the decks before the salary cap came in and get rid of any 'problem children' to boot. Shearer left, Daley's own son left and we lost Fatty.

Arko would never have handled player negotiations so poorly.

Jono said:
It would be a bad loss, but Beaver will be home soon :)

I don't think that beaver has that nasty thing in him to make him a coach that players are scared ****less off and will run through a brick wall for.
Same as Willo.
Look at Bellamy and McGuire two cut from the same cloth and would tear shreds off players for a mistake.
Madge I hear is worse than Bellamy.
Given how Keiron handled the responsibility of Captaining his country the other night here's what the club should do - give him the co-coaching job of the u16s.
Keiron looks like he lives, breathes and ****s rugby league and not only looks like a future captain but a future coach.

I think Arthur appeared on everyone's radar after the dogs game when Watmough credited him with Manly's transformation in defense. I Suspect that had he not done so, Arthur's name might not be getting mentioned now by Saints....

eagles2win said:
I don't think that beaver has that nasty thing in him to make him a coach that players are scared ****less off and will run through a brick wall for.
Same as Willo.
Look at Bellamy and McGuire two cut from the same cloth and would tear shreds off players for a mistake.
Madge I hear is worse than Bellamy.
Given how Keiron handled the responsibility of Captaining his country the other night here's what the club should do - give him the co-coaching job of the u16s.
Keiron looks like he lives, breathes and ****s rugby league and not only looks like a future captain but a future coach.

Who's this Kieron bloke your talking about.. is he a mate of Jamie Lyons? :p

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8