ARL to postpone NRL expansion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
"is off the agenda. And it might well be up to a decade before the subject is revisited."

Me thinks that there are going to be a lot of unhappy campers.

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/story/2012/07/20/arl-postpone-nrl-expansion/

MB, I don't know whether you think it worthwhile for this news story to be added as an article addition to the front page or just leave it as the link provided in the forum. Thoughts?

So we have to get used to Brisbane getting an easy ride into the finals for the next decade, and having to watch them every Friday night.
That's a really sensible idea. Not.

That's not an article, it's an opinion piece.
He says he's "reliably informed" but fails to mention by who?
He writes for a small time regional newspaper in QLD but he has the inside knowledge? Sure.
It's no great secret that the NRL need a WA team in order to achieve the billion dollar broadcast deal he refers too. The time zone difference and the extra live game is an enormous bargaining chip for the NRL in negotiating the new broadcast rights deal but this writer has missed that boat all together.

The only aspect of his opinion that I will agree with is that there are too many hopefuls being strung along that have no chance of being granted a franchise license.

The Who said:
WAMF, before Perth is considered the NRL MUST fix up the monopoly Brisbane has.

I think the solution to that problem will come with by bringing in 2 teams.

WC Pirates
and the Brisbane Bid (hope they actually merge with the Ippie bid - Ippie has got better colours - Forrest Green and Blue would make good jersey)

So who do we blame for this ? (if true).

The IC has been in control for about 6 months, so it is hardly their fault. Perhaps the NRL and Gallop were leading everyone astray with the feasibility of expansion. With any luck they'll make Gallop the fall guy regardless, now that the muppet has been booted out of the game.

I think the should announce the next two teams in 2013 for a staggered entry in 2016 and 2017. It needs to be done right have the Perth team playing in Nsw cup and NYC from 2014 and have Brisbane team 2 playing in NYC and qcup from 2015.

Cameron said:
I think the should announce the next two teams in 2013 for a staggered entry in 2016 and 2017. It needs to be done right have the Perth team playing in Nsw cup and NYC from 2014 and have Brisbane team 2 playing in NYC and qcup from 2015.

I agree. This is what the AFL did with their expansions. They had GC and GWS playing in the VFL (like our NSW Cup/QLD Cup if you didn't know) a year before they joined the AFL. This was a good idea, but it was only done half well because they ended up with 3/4 of their players joining in the off season before the year they joined the comp. Therefore, they never really got a chance to build momentum and experience together. It was a great concept but failed.

However, because we don't have a draft, you can at least get your reserves and youth teams firing for your club's future. By the time the NRL team comes together you'll have a good team built up in the lower grades that you can bleed. Plus, add 5 marquee players and within a couple of years you'll have a team that can compete for the title.

You can't just say ok Perth team, you're playing in the NSW cup first.
How are they supposed to attract marquee players?
"Oh don't worry, we'll pay you 500k but you're going to be playing park footy."

WAMF said:
You miss the point. They would have nrl players in that side. They would put their kids and any fringe first graders they could sign from qcup or nsw cup. It's about stepping stones.

I also think there needs two be 3-4 games a year taken to Perth in the years leading up to their inclusion.

Perth is so important in terms of the comp being national we have to be successful there. Id love to see them pick up bellyache or Stuart over there.

CQ aren't giving up. This from todays paper:

THE dream is very much alive for Denis Keeffe and those involved with the CQ NRL Bid.

The bid's CEO yesterday rejected rugby league commentator Tony Durkin's claim - made in his League of their Own column in The Morning Bulletin - that NRL expansion was off the cards.

Instead Keeffe says the opposite is the case.

"I have spoken with national media, the NRL independent commission and other clubs and I am very confident this is not the case," he said.

He said he preferred to take the word and assurances of those in the game's hierarchy instead of an opinion-based piece by Durkin.

The "window of opportunity" is now and those involved in the game understood the strategic value that a team from this region would bring.

Keeffe said he had just returned from down south where he engaged with key media players who have shown strong support.

"We have put a substantial amount of effort, time and money into this bid and we have produced a compelling argument to be included in the NRL expansion plans," Keeffe said.

"I agree some of the clubs are doing it tough in the NRL but that is because they have a few problems with their business model and they do not have the right corporate facilities at their home grounds.

And this from Thursdays Courier mail:

A comprehensive financial stress test from the world’s largest accountancy firm has the Central Queensland bid team confident they have nailed the crucial vialbility criteria for potential NRL inclusion.

Promising the NRL a “no risk in the heartland” future, CQ has completed a detailed business plan over nine months and received an endorsement from Pricewaterhouse Coopers following a six-month independent analysis.

“We’ve completed a very detailed financial plan. That is what our emphasis has been on,” CQ bid Chief Executive Denis Keeffe said yesterday. “We’ve had that stress-tested by Pricewaterhouse Coopers and that was a very expensive exercise.

“Now we have a stamp that says very achievable and some parts they said it was quite conservative in our estimates.

“The main criteria they will judge bidders on is the viability process and we think we have that nailed acutally.”

While other bid teams such as Perth claim to offer the NRL a new frontier and market expansion, Keeffe said investing in true rugby league communities posed “no risk”. With the struggles of the NRL’s newest club, Gold Coast Titans, the CQ bid believe their strong financial position and “high-end”economic model offers a secure future.

“Without being disrespectful to the Titans because they’re my mates, they (ARLC) don’t want that (financial hardship) to happen,” Keeffe said. “There is no risk in the heartland and that is what….we can deliver to them.”

Keeffe said he expected the NRL to address possible expansion in September. If bidders are sought, CQ would be ready for a full presentation to the ARLC by October and if awarded a licence by the end of the year they would be ready to enter the NRL by 2015.

Judging by how big qld is via watching the youtube clip of 'that's in qld!' maybe they should get the other team. Certainly anyone who goes north of the tweed is a true blue maroon. (apparently)

Jatz Crackers said:
globaleagle said:
Certainly anyone whos born north of the tweed is a true blue moron. (apparently)

Fixed.

Certainly anyone who's both born and bred north of the tweed is a true blue moron. (apparently)

Even more accurately fixed.

WAMF said:

You don't bring in the marquees until the off season before they enter the comp. By then their Juniors are well under way

Pirates - should do this sign Paterson as Captain (NRL is a 17 man code now for those that say he can't make the Cowboys starting squad)
Then sign Sam Tomkins to show there fair dinkum.
He now only has to prove himself here : over night scored his 100th try for Wigan 1sts and his only 22.
Busby will head back onto a wing

WAMF said:

Sounds like the squeels recruitment policy

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4