ARL cant be that stupid

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
The QRL will next week vote John Ribot onto there board and then they are expected to vote him in as an ARL director.

They cant be that stupid, this bloke came close to destroying the game.

Ribot's OK.  Could replace Gallop.  Couldn't do any worse.  He was a good player for us.

DSM5 link said:
Ribot's OK.  Could replace Gallop.  Couldn't do any worse.  He was a good player for us.

he also almost destroyed us with his "Super League" "Masterpiece"

It is not the ARL it is the QRL who have nominate their ARL board directors - they have 4 seats on the board.

It seems strange that Ribot not so long ago thought the ARL were the root of all problems now he was to join them...........

Then again with all those chinese & russians watching the NRL each week............

The Wheel link said:
It is not the ARL it is the QRL who have nominate their ARL board directors - they have 4 seats on the board.

It seems strange that Ribot not so long ago thought the ARL were the root of all problems now he was to join them...........

Then again with all those chinese & russians watching the NRL each week............

he hasnt given up his dream mate

Ribot was a cat on the wing and a cat in normal life. The only position he should hold on a board involves using an iron.

This c**t is largely responsible for us being forced into a merger with North Sydney and almost going under.

It has been a long and painful road back to the top for us, and as soon as we make it he wants to come back?? F**k that - keep him as far away from the game as possible.... 

This would be an outrage!! No way should Ribot be anywhere near the NRL board. Whilst he was only the front man for Uncle Rupert, he is the most despised man in the game (along with Dennis and Sticky) and his presence would not be healing but provocative. Give him the flick. He is a tosser!!!

Better he be over in Asia marketing League as the global game to all the little men and women waiting for him to brighten their world via World Domination of League.

Canteen Worker link said:
he is the most despised man in the game (along with Dennis and Sticky)

I think you should add Slater, Bellamy, Waldronb & Cameron Smith to the most despised list

The Wheel link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=178944.msg203605#msg203605 date=1227755779]
he is the most despised man in the game (along with Dennis and Sticky)

I think you should add Slater, Bellamy, Waldronb & Cameron Smith to the most despised list
[/quote]

And Gould and Hadley.

I have always thought that Manly were poorly advised to stick with the ARL.  They missed out on millions and after the dust settled, were left in the poorhouse.  The ARL then never supported us when the rationalization came around.  I'm of the opinion, a minority on on this blog obviously,  that the super league concept had merit.  I'm not a Murdoch supporter nor a Packer fancier.  The struggle between these two men was at the root of the problem, egged on by stupidity, personal loathing, pettiness and economic blindness on both sides.     

The concept had merit you are 100% correct.

The execution on the other hand was sadly lacking by all and sundry

I don't care if he's interested in the QRL, ARL or NRL Ribot should not be let anywhere near our game ever again ff's.

I remember it like yesterday seeing Ribot on news, hearing him on the radio trying to sell super league to all the Clubs AND SUPPORTERS alike.

He can go and get ****ed and that goes for his arse wipe Uncle Rupert which has never gave a rats about our game or comp, he's only interested was how much money he would make out of he's pay tv rights.

All the teams that crossed over like Broncos,Sharks, Bulldogs etc.. should have never ever been let back into the real comp.

Fro link said:
The concept had merit you are 100% correct.

The execution on the other hand was sadly lacking by all and sundry
Sadly the ambush was supported in Sydney by those clubs who were possible endangered by any rationalisation - Sharks, Panthers, Dogs (losing their demographic) and they jumped in with the out of town clubs and new clubs to basically stab the long established clubs in the backs. They put their selfish interests ahead of the game and the clubs that had supported them over many years and said 'Stuff You!'

The idea may have been good but the way that it happened irrevocably damaged the game and many relationships. Ribot can go .......

What exactly do the ARL do? I thought that they were only involved with representative football and have no involvement with the NRL and the running of the premiership.

If that is the case I have no problems with Ribot being involved with the ARL because that organisation is nothing but a dinosaur that needs a massive shakeup & Ribot could be just the man do just that.

Doesnt the ARL supply half the board of the NRL, with News Ltd. supplying the other half?

Look, put the daggers away folks and get rational.  The SL concept was a good one, poorly implemented.  My guess is because of the protagonists wielding the money.  Packer did the same thing (subterfuge) with day/night cricket and helped establish that moribund game on a secure economic footing.  My other guess is that Murdoch took that as a template in his attempt to set up a rival league game.  Now to today.  Unfortunately the league is going nowhere under Gallop and the latest fiasco with Stuart shows the ARL is just a stupid group of self perpetuating gronks (apologies Gronk).  Ribot might, just might, have the wherewithall to kickstart something that drives our game forward.  Just don't be afraid guys. 

It is surprising to say the least to see a SuperLeague defender on a Manly forum.

To live up to my forum name, you do remember who was running the ARL at the time?

Ken Arthurson, perhaps Australia's finest sports administrator.

The game had structural problems, which came to the fore at the time because of its tremendous success. The code was expanding, had the cash to invest into grass roots and was the envy of rivals for its innovative marketing.

Why was that? We had a genuine league lover in charge with nous, integrity and guts. He and Quayle were attempting to rationalise Sydney clubs in the least disruptive fashion, mindful of the fact that the real league lover loves the club as well.

SuperLeague was a hostile (in every sense of the word) takeover bid by the purely self-interested greedy monopolistic Broncos and pay TV pushers News who only will ever see league as product to be exploited for maximum gain from minimum input. It was headed by Ribot who has always struck me as someone whose grandiose opinion of himself far exceeds his capabilities. I note he has gone from job to job since.

I note also karma is visiting the Sydney clubs stupid enough to jump to SuperLeague. Canterbury, Cronulla and Penrith are all going from once farce to another. Even the 90s marquee club Canberra has never regained the lustre it had under the ARL.

SuperLeague was an unloveable concept pushed by unloveable and frankly inferior individuals.

Manly is much more than money or a franchising concept. Love of Manly, whether by the Delmege sons that convinced the dad to invest (actually donate) or by good and faithful servants who rebuilt the club from desolation is worth far more than the quick dollars painfully since extracted by News or a frankly ridiculous "vision". We were right to stay with the ARL and have been vindicated.

He isnt a superleague defender as it was done.

As has been stated the theory was sound, but was hijacked by agendas and personalities.

The planets must be out of kilter, DSM5 and I are agreeing on something :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6