Arko Talks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Or:
1. he is deliberately (or inadvertently) providing added motivation to Toovey and the team for the remainder of this year.
2. He is shaping options with a view to having Toovey involved longer term in the club's administration. Which could be the leagues club, which desperately needs to be in a position to financially support the football club and all that that entails. Or in a postion as say Joe Kelly's eventual replacement, preserving the veneer that Manly-Warringah is still a district club wedded to the peninsula; Led by people with a long association with the club and not necessarily the latest blow-in CEO from somewhere else.

I can't really explain why but having Tooves as coach makes me feel even more connected to the the club....it just feels more personal. He's only had the 1st grade gig for 3 years and in my mind that's when his coaching tenure started.

I have the utmost respect for Ken Arthurson but I really can't support what he's saying on this occasion and the timing couldn't have been worse, it's really taken the gloss off our newest signing.....I don't mean to sound negative but I'll be really pissed if Tooves isn't given time to finish his contract.

@Fibro Eagle makes a valid point. Any high quality coach can get a team into the finals with just a single off season to work with. But to win a title in the modern game takes years of planning and the right luck.

Lot of nonsense in that article about the dangers of the coach getting attached to his players. It's the close bond between players and our coach that has delivered us 10 successive finals series along with 4 grand finals and 2 titles. In that time we were also rorted out of 2 Minor Premierships and another title. We didn't just patch up a team of superstars. We sent out a band of brothers onto the field every week since 04 and that's what drove a lot of our success.

I am absolutely astonished by this article as well. As everyone has said Arko has come out a few times and said in my day we never aired our dirty laundry in public. We dealt with it in house.

So I can't comprehend what the intentions of this article are. Timing seems awful and Tooves needs all our support not this kinda rubbish.

Hopefully Terry has hit the nail on the head and it was just miscommunicated or misquoted and was not meant to sound the way does. It doesn't even make sense as a lot of the players he coached over the years have gone.

This is pure dynamite:
Arko said - "I would never do or say anything to upset Geoff Toovey because apart from the fact I'm a very good friend of his, there is no one for whom I have more respect."
With a friend like Arko, who needs an enemy? I still don't understand why Arko put this out in the first place. What does he hope to achieve for his "very good friend"?

Arko, If you are reading this thread, please explain yourself!

In his interview with John Gibbs, DCE said a lot of things would need to change at Manly for him to consider reneging on his deal with the Titans. Could it be that the coach is one of those changes?

I must admit to being surprised at the article, but I wouldn't put it past Arko to be trying to motivate Tooves.

It is a well written and structured article, not abrasive but suggestive I will give it that.

Whilst I respect my elders and think Arko is a very intelligent human, to whom the club owe's a hell of a lot. I still find my self thinking, just not speaking aloud the words, "**** off Grand Dad." How close are you to Zorba and the Penn's?

As for your theory I reject it entirely. Bennett seemed to survive just fine at a club longer then 5 years. So has Bellamy now.

Behind the scenes perhaps those in the know may either seek to motivate or see limitations in our Toovs.

But to use a crazy moronic politicians words, "Fair shack of the sauce bottle" here Ark's.

If Toov's needs some help, how about the powers to be give it to him. Formally appointing Bozo may just be that. An assistant coach with a particular eye for attention to detail personally sure, that is something that could really help.

But no one, not even Arko can suggest the great Toov's can NOT coach. But that he needs to stop because he has been around the club more the 5 years please.

I question anyone, who suggests Toov's hasn't over achieved during the time he has been at the helm.

Sorry Arko but "**** Off".

Tooves to Arko (next time they meet): You're a ruthless little **** Ken, I'll give you that. But I've got no time for grasses.

Tooves to Willie: Feed 'im to the pigs Willie.

Perhaps Arko is a supporter of Toovey still but can see things the way they are. The fact is no matter how good a job Toovey does and no matter how many fans/supporters/members lobby for him to stay the owner will hire & fire as he sees fit.

I just don't see why Arko has spoken to the paper about it. Maybe it was decided the hatchet will feel better coming from him through the media but that's just whacked logic.

I am absolutely astonished by this article as well. As everyone has said Arko has come out a few times and said in my day we never aired our dirty laundry in public. We dealt with it in house.

So I can't comprehend what the intentions of this article are. Timing seems awful and Tooves needs all our support not this kinda rubbish.

Hopefully Terry has hit the nail on the head and it was just miscommunicated or misquoted and was not meant to sound the way does. It doesn't even make sense as a lot of the players he coached over the years have gone.

A couple more wins on the trot, and this will all disappear. Last placed teams always get pressure - and that generally starts at the top. I think we are about to go on a run.

Also, Toovey himself may be very unhappy, and Arko may be saying to the guy for his own well being, "maybe it's time to step back?".

I don't know, but I think Toovey is still learning on the fly. A player once told me Tooves yells at them and things. I don't think that's the case anymore.

I want to see him with a healthy roster, a committed roster (not one with signatures all over the shop at other clubs), with all the players pulling in the same direction.

Make no mistake, Foran and DCE have heavily disrupted our club for 18 months now. Watmough as well. It's a shame individuals can't remain discreet for the better part of valor.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2