Arko slams disunity stirrings at his beloved Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
SEA Eagles godfather Ken Arthurson has expressed his exasperation at the latest drama to hit the club he is so passionate about and said it placed an unfair burden on coach Geoff Toovey.

Read More

SEA Eagles godfather Ken Arthurson has expressed his exasperation at the latest drama to hit the club he is so passionate about and said it placed an unfair burden on coach Geoff Toovey.

294447-ken-arthurson-manly-sea-eagles1.jpg
"To say I am devastated by what I have read would be putting it very mildly," Arthurson said.

He has spoken out after reports that star trio Brett Stewart, Anthony Watmough and Steve Matai had all asked for releases from the club.

"During my time at Manly the thing I always instilled into our club and the thing that has stood by us all these years is that any disputes we had were always kept in house," Arthurson said.

"We never washed our dirty linen in public and whoever is giving out these stories I think is doing the club a grave disservice."

His philosophy was that administrators were there to administer, coaches to coach and players to play.

Arthurson read that the current controversy came about because Glenn Stewart is leaving the club.

"All I can say is not only is he a great bloke but he has always been and still is one of my favourite players," he said..

"But they wouldn't have let him go unless they had to, I am certain of that because I know how highly regarded he is."

Arthurson said he would be absolutely staggered if Watmough would even contemplate moving from the club.

"He is Manly, he is part of Manly, he always has been," Arthurson said.

"He is a Narrabeen boy and his whole family have always been so loyal to the club."

Arthurson stood very strongly behind Toovey's appointment as coach.

"To have him going through all this is very unfair," he said.

He said the fact that Toovey has been able to keep the side playing terrific football with all that going on was a credit to him.
Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/ken-arthurson-slams-disunity-stirrings-at-his-beloved-sea-eagles/story-fngr8iii-1226997590643

You can't blame Manly for what is seemingly being thrown at it from outside plus a NRL salary designed to bring down and ruin the best teams.

And didn't Bozo go to the Rorters when Arko was in command?

Yeah I seriously doubt that this current BS would be happening under Arko's watch. At least not to the extent we see at the moment.

Brissie Kid said:
You can't blame Manly for what is seemingly being thrown at it from outside plus a NRL salary designed to bring down and ruin the best teams.

Of course we lost players under Arko's watch but we didn't have players like Watmough sitting down for interviews with reporters & airing dirty laundry.

Brissie Kid said:
plus a NRL salary designed to bring down and ruin the best teams.

I'm not sure about this BK?? Would we still be around without the cap? I know that without the cap there'd only be two or three teams that could win the comp and we wouldn't be one of them.

Clint said:
Brissie Kid said:
plus a NRL salary designed to bring down and ruin the best teams.

I'm not sure about this BK?? Would we still be around without the cap? I know that without the cap there'd only be two or three teams that could win the comp and we wouldn't be one of them.

Spot on. The salary cap is great when we need it. Not so much when we don't.

The immediate thing that must happen is team discipline in relation to player contracts. Who ever is responsible for peddling our dirty laundry to the news limited filth and nein needs to be weeded out asap.

Arko ran a tight ship and was a total professional. No one not even he was bigger than the club! !

Mals said:
Brissie Kid said:

Of course we lost players under Arko's watch but we didn't have players like Watmough sitting down for interviews with reporters & airing dirty laundry.

Wasn't this when Zorba was league journo for the Sun! Wonder if he buried these type of stories for Arko in those days?

I feel for the retention committee.

They must balance salary cap and player payment desires.

But if a player wants more money than Manly can afford they are not bigger than the game or the team.

If they don't bleed maroon and white they can leave.

Loved the great memories but so long and thanks for the memories. :D

You know we had a great win over St Choke but all we are talking about are player releases and the end of the tight knitted group.

Shoe1 said:
Mals said:
Brissie Kid said:

Wasn't this when Zorba was league journo for the Sun! Wonder if he buried these type of stories for Arko in those days?
Zorba was working for the Sun and The Moose was working on tv but every one had too much respect for the God father. No one messed aroud with Arko

Masked Eagle said:
I hope the boys read Arko's words. It should hit home to them what it means to be part of a club like ours.

I hope they do too, it wouldn't do any harm.

Also imo Arko (if not Tooves) should have a heart-to-heart with Choc and say to him that he's a Manly boy through and through and to be Manly and stop airing dirty laundry.

The link was never posted by 9.

I summarised it in the original thread.

Matai should be released so that he can set himself up with the 2.5m contract.
Wolfie was right to back himself and Manly and his penalty is too harsh :)

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6