Areas to improve REFs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Moondog said:
Get rid of the video ref, get rid of the second ref.
One ref, two touchies. The ref makes the decision on the field, if he stuffs up he gets dropped to reserves with a consequent drop in pay.
Refs who perform consistently in the lower grades get promoted.
Less subjective rulings based on individual referees interpretations of the rules. I'm sick of hearing commentators saying common sense must prevail in applying the rules, when has that ever happened? Common sense seems to be in short supply in the refereeing ranks at the moment. A more objective approach would be the way to go imo.
The referees need to be reminded that they are not the main attraction. Fans need to be secure in the knowledge that the best team won in a fair contest not that their team was dudded by a prima donna ref.

I don't think this will solve the problems Moondog. Classic case in point was Wolfie's try against the vermin. That would never have been awarded without a video ref. And "try" was 100% the right decision.

If it's touch and go, fair enough. There are people involved. Errors will be made. It's never going to be perfect.

But we have to stop the howlers. There's a real chance that the result in the grand final would have been different without the obvious errors. Sides can't be denied premierships because of Hayne like decisions ?

Am I happy for Manly not to get the rub of the green if the decision is clearly wrong ? Absolutely.

If there's a problem with video refs making forward pass decisions, what's wrong with the linesmen raising a flag for them. The linesmen do it for off-side in soccer, and that can come down to centimetres. Then we'd at least know where the problem lies. I'm sick of yelling for the touchies to do their job. And I agree wholeheartedly about the familiarity of some refs with players. Both sets are not there to be liked, they're there to do a job. Do it without trying to be a BFF.

There won't be any reappraisal of the GF debacle or the refereeing ranks. I've just read, and choked, that Hayne was voted the best official on ground for the year. Just who votes in this is a guess......zombies.

DSM5 said:
There won't be any reappraisal of the GF debacle or the refereeing ranks. I've just read, and choked, that Hayne was voted the best official on ground for the year. Just who votes in this is a guess......zombies.

Where do i go to vote?

Daddycool08 said:
DSM5 said:

Where do i go to vote?

Why? Are you a zombie?

DSM5 said:

tumblr_lpe5w7mLIp1qiboxr.gif
tumblr_lnks9pBq541qiw26m.gif
tony-nodding-o.gif

globaleagle said:
Daddycool08 said:
DSM5 said:

Where do i go to vote?

Why? Are you a zombie?

Touché:D

But recently I have had the desire to order "brains" when I am out somewhere. And bright lights affect me. And I wake up stiff every morning (except in one location). :mad:

I just wanted to give a 'valid' vote to get some balance back into this shemozzle known as the NRL.

I feel many refs may benefit from a frontal lobotomy ( some may already have had one) it's a simple medical procedure....
"A full frontal lobotomy is a form of psychosurgery. It consists of cutting the connections to and from, or simply destroying, the prefrontal cortex. This brain region has been implicated in planning complex cognitive behaviours, personality expression and moderating incorrect social behavior.
The distinguishing mark of someone who has had a full frontal lobotomy is a nice pair of scars around the temples. The survival rate of the operation has vastly increased since the discovery of the lead pipe, which is used to knock patients unconscious before the operation and means surgery is no longer performed on people who are awake."
Whilst this procedure would no doubt be of great benefit to NRL referees I would personally choose not to get one remembering the wise words of my father... " I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Chip and Chase said:
I can't ever see a time when the video ref will rule on forward passes, not with the current technology anyway. They tried it way back and it was a failure and that's the reason they pulled the pin on it. It all looks very simple when the pass is 5m forward, but what about when it's 5cm forward ?? If you are going to rule on one you've got to rule on all. It's just one of those rules you've got to take the good with the bad.

Couldn't disagree more. They've started using the video ref to rule on forward passes in yawnion and it has worked really well. To counter the "flat" pass issue, have a rule the same as the current video ref ruling on tries, if the video ref has evidence that proves a forward pass has been thrown, call it, if it is inconclusive, the on-field decision stands. In fact, if the video ref was only used to adjudicate on forward passes that lead to tries then the current system works perfectly with respect to forward passes.

The following areas of the Refs should be improved:

1. Their fitness
2. Their knowledge of the rules of RL.
3. Their impartiality and knowledge of what that means in practice
4. Their ability to rule on what they see, and if they haven't seen it, to be willing to take advice from the people they can hear thru their headphones who have seen it.
5. Their memories of how they ruled on a certain player behaviour in the past, be it ten minutes ago, last week, or Round 1 and to make rulings consistent with their previous rulings regardless of the teams involved.
6. Their willingness to let the players hold the centre of attention.
7. Their awareness that the fans are there to see a flowing RL Match, and not an exhibition in 'how to blow a whistle repeatedly".
8. Their confidence in ruling for a try. Must they "review everything"?
9. Their demonstrated willingness to referee Semi Finals, Grand finals THE SAME WAY AS NORMAL round matches.
10. Their demonstrated willingness to utilise the sin bin when appropriate.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6