Are you marching today?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Anti-IR rally to disrupt services
Nick O'Malley Workplace Reporter
November 30, 2006

UP TO 500,000 people are expected to join rallies against the new industrial relations laws today, disrupting services such as transport, schools and hospitals.

The State Government, which supports the protests, said it would dock the pay of public servants who attend rallies without using legitimate leave.

Police have warned of traffic disruptions in central Sydney, where 30,000 protesters are expected at Tumbalong and Belmore parks at 8.30am, before marching down George Street.

National rallies will be linked via satellite to the MCG, where the Opposition Leader, Kim Beazley, will speak and singer Jimmy Barnes will perform.

A spokesman for the Premier, Morris Iemma, said essential services would operate with skeleton staff. Schools would provide supervision, but teaching would be suspended. In previous rallies public transport continued but some bus services were halted.

The federal Workplace Relations Minister, Kevin Andrews, accused the NSW Teachers Federation of politicising children by sending home a rally flyer.

"It's this sort of behaviour from the teachers' union in NSW which is part of the reason that the Prime Minister said this week that parents are increasingly voting with their feet and moving from the public schools system into the independent schools system," he said.

"Imagine the outcry if I sent a letter to schools in NSW to be distributed through school students in which it outlines all the lies which Unions NSW have been uttering about Work Choices.

The president of the federation, Maree O'Halloran, said teachers had a responsibility to explain to parents why most would not be at school today.

The Prime Minister yesterday endorsed the Commonwealth Bank's move to use the industrial laws to introduce individual contracts that cut award conditions.

with AAP

NSW Teachers Federation of politicising children by sending home a rally flyer.

Charming isn't it. I can only hope some parents give it to these schools for pushing this Pro Labor crap yet again.

man you are nuts byso. It isn't pro-labor party it is pro having a decent working envirnonment.

I know someone who got fired this week for going to the doctors when she was sick at work and wanted to go home.

Yeah that seems fair

Dick head employer. Or maybe the person wasn't the best worker.

You miss the point Byso. Whether they are a dick head employer or not. It is little Johnny Howards new "Fairer" work place that allowed this to happen.

Under the old system there would have been no legal grounds for the boss to fire her.

The old laws were there to protect against as you so elloquently put it "dickhead employers" the new laws now protect the employers and as an employee you now have even less power and rights.

How anyone can think that is fair is beyond me. But I guess you are looking forward to Dictator Howard taking full control of this country

Hmm....I think you've been watching the Glass house too much.

I guess you feel employers should be compelled to keep hiring poor employees.

Welcome to the real world Dan.

No she wasnt a bad employee. She was told that she cant go to the doctor or go home, despite being very clearly sick. She went to the Doctor on her 15 minute break came back 5 mins late and was fired on the spot.

I guess you think having no job security is fine in thi sday and age as long as it helps us have a big surplus

Byso - your bias is so rght leaning it makes me sick. Work place is all about ideology, not better workplace. This act is stuffing the country and you sit and justify it, all based on a love affair with the grubbiest little turd who has ever ruled this country.

Byso - your bias is so rght leaning it makes me sick. Work place is all about ideology, not better workplace. This act is stuffing the country and you sit and justify it, all based on a love affair with the grubbiest little turd who has ever ruled this country.

Your bias makes me sick, if you really cared about this issue you'd be marching............but you aren't.

I wonder how much time the teachers have spent in class justifying their political stance.

For me it makes no difference I have been on a individual contracts since I started work, so I am not marching. But Byso yo clearly do not see how these laws are screwing up labor and union workplaces. Unions have gotten even you most of what you have now, your rights will slowly be wittled away.

Read the full act it aint good!

funnily enough i watched the glass house for the first time last night and apart from calling little johnny "bonsai" which i thought was great all i saw was them getting stuck into beasley giving him the worst polical event award or whatever it was - guess you missed that part?

Really, well I saw that channel 7 twit there with that try hard comedian pontificating as to why people ever vote for Howard.

btw, why are teachers and public servants marching any how.

The changes have nothing to do with them. Talk about Rent a crowd. For the labor party.

Honestly byso sometimes you let a good argument get in the way of common sence.

I don't think it would matter how much you love your government, when they start screwing everyone out of their jobs and working conditions I draw the line.

could have happened, i was in and out looking after the fish tank.

However the point is there is banter at both sides

btw, why are teachers and public servants marching any how.

The changes have nothing to do with them. Talk about Rent a crowd. For the labor party.

It has nothing to do with teachers?

You ask my sister about this then ok?

She is a teacher and being royally screwed because of the new system. But i guess its fine because it doesnt effect you YET huh Byso.

It must be odd living in a world without Grey

Aren't teachers and public servants under the state award?

depends on the school!

My sister works for a private school. THe thing is the award isn't really the same anymore if the school decides to put you on an ID.
She is also being screwed for her day care work.

See you think that because there use to be an "Award" it still exists, you are no longer garunteed that Byso. You are told you are going on an ID and if you dont they get someone who will want to go on it

Anyhow Dan, can you explain why the government teachers where at the meeting?

Hopefully your sister went if she's not happy because from what I hear they had very poor numbers at the Newcastle meeting.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4