Are we being too harsh on Barrett?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And I wonder why Silvertailers are " mainly" just picking on Barrett and to an extent Cartwright.

The fact that Seibold is deserting the ship tells me alls not well at " Camp Narabeen".

Barrett being head coach .
That it seems he is responsible for all decisions and will be the scapegoat for all
There are more people involved as we know but Barrett will be the Target

Barrett was always on a hiding to nothing
The rookie coach has made plenty of rookie decisions or are they his decisions , well i hope so . Cause to bring in players like Moltzen, John, Green and then Wright and releasing Gutherson . Persisting with Walker at 5/8 , are just a couple . If they are decisions motivated from within we are in trouble
Injuries have played a part as have short turnarounds
An example of Barrett still struggling with his decisions were evident on the weekend , Naming Walker at 5/8 and spending the majority of his time in the centres it looked at times we had 4 centres playing with Green just hanging out there all to often yeah he is suppose to be an edge running forward but he brings nothing to this team (he made 7 runs for 40 m)
We played with no other option for DCE and everyone could see . Did we change it at 1/2 time No
These decisions come back to Barrett the Rookie coach
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt being this is his first year
Next Year he is not the Rookie get results or your time is up Barrett
Yep, just like Trent Robinson was in 2013 and look how that turned out.......oh wait.......

Well That's it isn't Mark
Surely Barrett isn't making these decisions on his own
That's what concerns me ,If Barrett was the sole man of the final say you could excuse some of his decisions .But he suppose to be surrounded by all these major experienced figure heads
Wow, quantum leap assumptions going on here. Can you please supply me with the evidence he isn't making the decisions.

Results or not Tooves was never going to be the coach this yr. TBH the whole Results driven is complete BS.

Let's not re-hash the whole thing again as our incompitent board and owners have once again been left looking like the biggest idiots in the league and only barely better than Parra atm.

He is our Head Coach and this year has been a big learning curve. He has got a big off season ahead so any critisism of him is deserved. It's how he moves forward by looking at what went wrong and solutions to them that counts.

Wow, quantum leap assumptions going on here. Can you please supply me with the evidence he isn't making the decisions.

Assumptions yes they are , Evidence No .either way whether he is or not
some decisions are rookie like , with experienced staff and coaching directors one has to assume they all cant be Barretts calls

It could mean that but social media suggests otherwise.

And so do I. Anyone that believes Seibold is leaving for money doesn't know the bloke at all. What he thought Manly was, isn't what it turned out to be. He would have loved it here a couple of years ago.

Now, as with a lot of my posts, read it carefully and then look at the evidence. Seibold is leaving after 1 year of a 3 year deal. He is regarded by many people that are far more knowledgeable than us, and are actually involved in the NRL and ESL to be a very good defensive coach. If you know him, you'll know he is all about integrity. I do know him.

I can not and will not come out clearly and say what is going on, because if Anthony wanted that, he would have done it himself. He is not a bloke that likes to air dirty laundry in public. He is leaving quietly and I think it's our loss.

Read between the lines or keep the blinkers on if you wish. I am done with defending Anthony. I know he's a good bloke and I know his career will kick on regardless.

And so do I. Anyone that believes Seibold is leaving for money doesn't know the bloke at all. What he thought Manly was, isn't what it turned out to be. He would have loved it here a couple of years ago.

Now, as with a lot of my posts, read it carefully and then look at the evidence. Seibold is leaving after 1 year of a 3 year deal. He is regarded by many people that are far more knowledgeable than us, and are actually involved in the NRL and ESL to be a very good defensive coach. If you know him, you'll know he is all about integrity. I do know him.

I can not and will not come out clearly and say what is going on, because if Anthony wanted that, he would have done it himself. He is not a bloke that likes to air dirty laundry in public. He is leaving quietly and I think it's our loss.

Read between the lines or keep the blinkers on if you wish. I am done with defending Anthony. I know he's a good bloke and I know his career will kick on regardless.

I'm with you Moz, I don't know the guy but leaving in year 1 says it all.

Yep, just like Trent Robinson was in 2013 and look how that turned out.......oh wait.......

Robinson served a much better learning curve than Barrett did so a bit harsh to compare them at the same level

( He was assistant coach with the Newcastle Knights for 3 years before seeking a release to join Smith at Sydney Roosters. Robinson was the assistant coach in charge of defence in the Roosters' run to the Grand Final in 2010
At the end of the 2010 season, French-speaking Robinson took over from Kevin Walters as coach at Catalans Dragons. )

( Barrett u/20's coach and assistant to Cleary 2013 ,14 .15 , NSW Country coach, Italian National team 2014)

Robinson served a much better learning curve than Barrett did so a bit harsh to compare them at the same level

( He was assistant coach with the Newcastle Knights for 3 years before seeking a release to join Smith at Sydney Roosters. Robinson was the assistant coach in charge of defence in the Roosters' run to the Grand Final in 2010
At the end of the 2010 season, French-speaking Robinson took over from Kevin Walters as coach at Catalans Dragons. )

( Barrett u/20's coach and assistant to Cleary 2013 ,14 .15 , NSW Country coach, Italian National team 2014)
I get it Fibro and I completely agree. The fault for this shemozzle lies fairly and squarely with Bozo for appointing the least qualified coach in the Club's history.

Where is the stink coming from? The owners? The board? The players? The football dept?

If everything was based on results in one season then management would be simple. Just get rid of all the coaches who weren't producing results. Put up your hand if you rang up Eagles head office and suggested they appoint Neil Henry as coach for this Year? He had a great roster at the cows absolutely riddled with QLD origin and test players. Maybe he excels at motivating underdogs. A little like Fatso Vaughan's Origin coaching feats. Any one suggest Ricky Stuart a little while back? Did we think poaching the Souths coach was the way to go? I'd like to see Bellamy coach elsewhere as he appears to be one of the best. It would have been interesting if Brian Smith was coaching the broncos and Bennett the red vee years ago. Maybe the reputations would be reversed. My point is I have little idea who is a great coach and that includes Barrett because as it stands in early August 2016 most of the form teams have what many fans consider to be ordinary coaches and hardly any coaches in history have transferred their "greatness " to several clubs.

Even though its only his first year, just about the only way most of us would have given Barrett a passing grade for this year is if we happened to either played in the finals (and were competitive, not just making up the numbers) or we actually won the premiership.....and right now neither is likely to happen.

Following on from a club legend in Tooves being unfairly sacked was always going to be a hard task for someone completely new to the club. The old 'on a hiding to nothing' line comes to mind.

Yes there have been some decisions made that seem to defy logic. Signing Brown and letting Gutherson go for one, playing Walker at 5/8 for the first 10 rounds an obvious other. And he's had a cluster fvck of injuries to deal with as well as off field dramas (match fixing).

But the question remains.....have we improved in 2016 over what we showed in 2015? Personally I would give him one more year with hopefully close to a fully fit squad. But if we don't at the very least play finals in 2017 then it would be adios amigo to TB.

Even though its only his first year, just about the only way most of us would have given Barrett a passing grade for this year is if we happened to either played in the finals (and were competitive, not just making up the numbers) or we actually won the premiership.....and right now neither is likely to happen.

Following on from a club legend in Tooves being unfairly sacked was always going to be a hard task for someone completely new to the club. The old 'on a hiding to nothing' line comes to mind.

Yes there have been some decisions made that seem to defy logic. Signing Brown and letting Gutherson go for one, playing Walker at 5/8 for the first 10 rounds an obvious other. And he's had a cluster fvck of injuries to deal with as well as off field dramas (match fixing).

But the question remains.....have we improved in 2016 over what we showed in 2015? Personally I would give him one more year with hopefully close to a fully fit squad. But if we don't at the very least play finals in 2017 then it would be adios amigo to TB.
I think overall the club does a great job " letting players go " I recall previous posts on this forum objecting to half the players let go. Some players we can't keep because of the cap or inflated offers from dodgy clubs. Most are replaced by a better player even the great Phil Blake was moved on , but was he going to play instead of Toovey or Lyons? Gutho looks like a top player and he will be back I reckon. On balance the players other clubs have let go to us has been so much better than the ones leaving. Lyons ,O'Neil, Reilly, O'Conner, Killer , Boyd , Cleal (the older version) and on it goes. JWH is the main one to come to mind but could we match the offer? I agree with your thread in general I suppose I am just highlighting all the good that has happened as well. In hindsight the "big five or six" could have all been moved on together but what would the fans think? We must of had massive clear outs in the past. All the Internationals we had in the early 80s were all gone by the 87 title bar one or two ( Cleal and Fatty?)

1. We lost 7 in a row and the general consensus on the forum was that he is the worst coach to ever hold a clip board

2. We won 4 on the trot against average opposition and the general consensus was that this season has been tough with injuries and disruptions and how Des struggled in his first year at Manly and we should all look forward to a premiership in a couple of seasons under Barrett.

3. We lose to the Eels and the general consensus on the forum is that Barrett is rubbish again and we should all look forward to his impending sacking when we fail again next year.

I give up on this place sometimes haha.

Most are replaced by a better player even the great Phil Blake was moved on , but was he going to play instead of Toovey or Lyons?

That was an interesting situation. At the same time that Fulton had decided that Blake had no future at Manly, we were actually chasing Wally Lewis who ultimately decided to stay in Brisbane with a view to joining the new Broncos in 1988. It all worked out for the best though because having neither Blake or Lewis saw Bozo move Cliffy from lock to 5/8 and the rest is history. Cliffy went on to be one of the Manly greats.

All the Internationals we had in the early 80s were all gone by the 87 title bar one or two ( Cleal and Fatty?)

True but they had been replaced by others who were or went on to be internationals. Guys like Dale Shearer, Darrel Williams, Cliffy Lyons, Des Hasler, Mick O'Connor, Phil Daley, Kevin Ward etc.

Sometimes its amazing to think that we only won the one premiership during the 80's with the number of test and/or Origin players we had.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4