Are Manly players unfit and why?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

XV-1

First Grader
This season a lot of our players seem to be unfit and some even carrying a bit of weight - Hiku and Mateo for a start.

We have more injuries than any previous years.

The most telling stat is that Manly used to score the most 2nd half points as they were supremely fit and fitter than almost every other team.

What has gone wrong?
Time for a new trainer and new Training regime?

I have thought this too. Definitely something to be said about all the injuries and the way we have faded in the final 10-20 minutes this season. Donny Singe was away for a few weeks which im sure impacted.
Harder preseason is on the cards this offseason me thinks.

Maybe a little bit of the "ageing roster" finally kicking in after years of false predictions. And healthy dose of rotten luck, blokes playing injured and making the injuries worse.
agree Shoe1,killer has been more injured this year than most years,is it because they are rushing him back too soon

The injury crisis of this season has exposed our depth. For the last 3 or 4 years our reggies have been dreadful and their fitness I have often questioned and I think a reason they regulary leak 30 plus points a game.

I think in this season Manly have made the mistake of rushing players back too fast and its just compounded things. I see Matai and Lyon and all season they have struggled,

Me thinks its time to blood some younger guys 2nd half of this season.

As far as the title of this thread goes the answers are "yes" and "because they've been able to get away with it in the past/never been held accountable because of the teams overall performance on the field"

Gotta say it has looked that way & unfortunately, played out that way at times
Even Lyon looks a little bulky - have noticed on a positive Leary looks 5-6 kg's heavier & its helping him combine a bit more robust style with his edge running & in defence

Yes, I read somewhere that Leary is "playing somewhere around the 100kg mark now" according to him. Big enough to make an impact, anyway.

Jake is lighter than last year as is Sao

Not sure why pre season fitness training would just suddenly change as people are suggesting

Jake is lighter than last year as is Sao

Not sure why pre season fitness training would just suddenly change as people are suggesting

Well....Donny was off helping nz beat the aussies in some match...and also he's been off getting some new licence to train....so obv everyone sat around following the zorba/rose diet for champs!

or something

i dunno

go pat an elephant, they need love too.

From what I understand they do very little aerobic training, Don uses games as the key session and everything around that is recovery, strength and match prep.

A lot of the players can’t swim because they sink (polynesian), so don’t participate in the swimming sessions that Don uses in recovery.

I believe that most other high level sports train a lot longer and harder regardless of how hard their game or event is.

Even though a league game becomes quite anaerobic - any exercise over that length of time is aerobic, therefore training needs to be on the higher end.

Just my opinion, however I’d be happy to give examples of other sports that train up to 16 times a week as compared to the 3 - 4 Manly sessions which includes a game

From what I understand they do very little aerobic training, Don uses games as the key session and everything around that is recovery, strength and match prep.

A lot of the players can’t swim because they sink (polynesian), so don’t participate in the swimming sessions that Don uses in recovery.

I believe that most other high level sports train a lot longer and harder regardless of how hard their game or event is.

Even though a league game becomes quite anaerobic - any exercise over that length of time is aerobic, therefore training needs to be on the higher end.

Just my opinion, however I’d be happy to give examples of other sports that train up to 16 times a week as compared to the 3 - 4 Manly sessions which includes a game
League: ah he's old and out of shape? Work him into shape? Nah give him a day off training...

Could it be there diet does the club monitor there diet ?
They might train all the same hard but if your eating crap and others are eating right well it could be that

And this is not a black & white, 'fit' or 'unfit' thing. There are degrees of fitness for a particular task or event. The argument then goes, compared to last year, is there a higher or lower level of fitness for RL amongst MMWSE players.
There is little Pont in us offering opinions. There would be sophisticated tests, etc, measuring heart rate, strength, etc, that could be, probably ARE being done. Ie Donny probably knows. But surely this would be confidential club information ?

From the Manly Daily today - interview with the physio from the club

You are kidding yourself if you do not think this has had an impact on our perceived fitness

WORST INJURY LIST IN 12 YEARS, SAYS PHYSIO
SEA Eagles skipper Jamie Lyon has become the latest victim of the club’s injury curse, with a torn hamstring suffered last Friday against the Broncos to sideline him for up to six weeks.

.The effect of the injuries has taken such a heavy toll that Manly has only finished three games this year with a full bench.

No wonder the Sea Eagles’ highly regarded physio Andre Rickenbach describes the current injury woes as the worst he has experienced in his 12 years at the club.

“The general rule of thumb is that you use 25 players or less to go through to the semis and so far this year we have used 28,” Rickenbach said.

While nobody is using injuries as an excuse, his insights provide an idea of the challenges that coach Geoff Toovey has faced every week.

“It has just been a nightmare,” Rickenbach said.

“At one stage it was one step forward, one step back with injuries. Then it was two steps forward, two steps back.

“It is the most full-on it has ever been. Just when we think we are getting our head above water, another few get hurt.”

Rickenbach said they were all basically contact injuries, which came back to bad luck.

“The one thing you can’t do is panic and try to rush people back before they are ready,” Rickenbach said.

“You just have to believe in your processes and what you are doing, even though there is that temptation, when you are last on the table, to push people quicker than they should be.”

It's the stress. Some people pile weight on, and some people waste away under stress. Toovey is down to his last 14 hairs.

:p

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7